What does this mathematical symbol mean?

LOL!! What fun! At least it's a monotonically increasing function:)
Now, what was the sq rt of 'i' again?
:rflmao:

The square root of i is a complex number, having a real component and an imaginary component. It is (approximately) 0.707+0.707i

I am sure the audio techies around here recognize 0.707 as the rms factor, being half the square root of 2.

The square root of i is a complex number, having a real component and an imaginary component. It is (approximately) 0.707+0.707i

I am sure the audio techies around here recognize 0.707 as the rms factor, being half the square root of 2.
actually 'i' is just a mnemonic for sqrt(-1), such that sqrt(-4) can be reduced to 2i (in many calculations, i ends up droppin out)

in our realm here, i is replaced with j as it implies the same for angular functions.

.707 is an approximation of sqrt2 / 2

I leave the proof of the rms value up to you, partly because its been 35 years since I have had to derive it...

rootbound3.jpg

actually 'i' is just a mnemonic for sqrt(-1), such that sqrt(-4) can be reduced to 2i (in many calculations, i ends up droppin out)

in our realm here, i is replaced with j as it implies the same for angular functions.

.707 is an approximation of sqrt2 / 2

I leave the proof of the rms value up to you, partly because its been 35 years since I have had to derive it...

i
is not just a mnemonic for the square root of -1. The coefficient of i is the Y value on the complex plane, e.g., a complex impedance graph. In electrical engineering, the symbol j is used in place of i to avoid confusion with 1, especially when handwritten. j typically drops out at the end of calculations because the results represent measurable real world values, that is, real numbers.

Here is a nice explanation of what rms is all about and two different ways to derive it.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/rms-voltage.html

Some of my friends think that I am a real square because I like vintage audio equipment, but I tell them that it is rooted in my enjoyment of the radical audio quality.

Back
Top Bottom