Pioneer SX-1280 won't power on!!!

Spencer Bell

I recently bought a Pioneer SX-1280 from a thrift store, and I bring it home, flip the switch, and nothing happens. The switch doesn't seem to click when flipped, but rather moves smoothly as if it isn't catching anything. I really would prefer to fix this myself rather than ship it off to have it serviced. Hope you all can help!

If you feel the switch is a problem, you can unplug the unit, jumper between the switched and unswitched receptacles on the rear, then plug the unit back in. This will effectively eliminate the switch. If the switch is indeed the problem, replacements may be difficult to find, but not impossible.

I recently bought a Pioneer SX-1280 from a thrift store, and I bring it home, flip the switch, and nothing happens. The switch doesn't seem to click when flipped, but rather moves smoothly as if it isn't catching anything. I really would prefer to fix this myself rather than ship it off to have it serviced. Hope you all can help!
The SX-1280 has a soft-start circuit. There is a thermal fuse located under a large ballast resistor. If that fuse is history. Check your output transistors. One or more of them is probably shorted. The ballast resistor could be cooked as well.

Last edited:
index.php

Big ballast resistor is seen on the far left edge of the board, Below the black DEC relay. The thermal fuse is under it, You can see the lead of the fuse sticking out from under the resistor.

Step one..Measure the resistance of the thermal fuse.In circuit will due.

I have a 1280 and love it. The output transistors are in an unusual mounting situation. The transistors are truly unobtanium, but there's a workaround here on AK somewhere. I think it was either echowars or markthefixer that pulled that together. avionic has probably done that too. He is a great helper. He was the first person on AK to give me assistance. You are lucky to have his assistance. Do a search and you may just find it if you need it later. Good luck on your challenge. Nice receiver.

Ok so I found the problem! The power switch has been disconnected, but there is another problem. There is a white wire that runs from the switch to somewhere that I accidentally pulled out when I was trying to free the slack up on it so it would reach. I ended up pulling it out of somewhere, and I don't know where it came from. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0585[1].JPG
    IMG_0585[1].JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 22
How are your soldering techniques? The white wire will be easy to figure out. It goes back to Pin 2 on the little circuit board with 4 fuses (AWX-126 or -139 ) whichever board is installed in your unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom