Why does the hafler manual say not to use flux?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
I have a few hafler amps (dh200, dh220) that I will restore down the road and reading through the manual it clearly says not to use extra flux and if you do, your warranty is void. It says to use a flux core soldering wire, but NO EXTRA FLUX.

I am in the habit of using extra flux to solder and desolder.

Why would the folks at hafler say not to use extra flux? What harm could be done?

Its just good practice to clean excess flux from the board after soldering.:thumbsup: I use acetone.

They may have been referring to (extra) Acid flux, used for plumbing. In the 60's , men used to think they could use acid flux, but it will eat away the pc boards, connectors, pots, everything !

They may have been referring to (extra) Acid flux, used for plumbing. In the 60's , men used to think they could use acid flux, but it will eat away the pc boards, connectors, pots, everything !
And it is highly electrically conductive.

I wouldn't worry too much about voiding the warranty ...
My concern is not voiding the warranty, but rather damaging the board. They would not say that the warranty is void when using flux unless damage was certain or close to it when using flux.

If you take a look at most boards in an amp/cdp/etc you will usually see a fair amount of flux residue left on the board from the factory. And for my part the only board corrosion that I've seen so far has come from Sony Bond.

If you do as Avionic suggested and deflux with acetone after working the board(s) there won't be any leftover issues. And of course only use rosin core solder.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom