New Op Amps for a Music Hall DAC 25.3

BigElCat - I bought Vintage 5.0's Music Hall 25.3 DAC. Don't think it has been modded at all. I'm thinking about buying the Burson V6 Classic set. And finding that Mullard tube. How do you think that may sound in my system, since you've heard it?

BigElCat - I bought Vintage 5.0's Music Hall 25.3 DAC. Don't think it has been modded at all. I'm thinking about buying the Burson V6 Classic set. And finding that Mullard tube. How do you think that may sound in my system, since you've heard it?
That would definitely be interesting...I had the V6 Vivids in mine before we heard it at the meet.

Burson claims the Classics are more smooth and laid back.

I was enjoying your Grant Fidelity DAC, also. Guy's Maverick DAC was holding its own as well.

Can't really say anything definitive, but it's cool you added a MusicHall DAC 25.3 to the stable.

Not BEC, but I found that the Bursons improved resolution and dynamics regardless of tube (which is not used for the balanced output I use) in my garage system with late 70's era New Advents.

Mullard tube and the Burson V6 Classics are on the way. Can't wait to try them out. I noticed the Bursons are being used in a lot of equipment. I have an ASUS STX Essence audio card in my only remaining mid case computer. Hell, I may order a set of Bursons for that as well. Maybe they'll make my Audioengine 5+ speakers sound like my Genesis speakers! :beerchug:

Got everything in - Burson V6 Classics and the Mullard tube recommended by BigElCat. Thank you sir - and for the help.

Glad I went with the Classics as I feel I would have been back to being a bit too bright, especially horns. So - noticed deeper and tighter upper range bass, still kept resolution well and created a deeper and broader soundstage. More depth than the other. Going to run it for awhile to see if there is any breakin. Also, will change out amps through time to see how they manage the sound created from this DAC.

I can say for sure now that I'm no longer "pining" for that $1400 DAC. This one will do nicely. Next up will be the Grant Fidelity Dac 11. Need to do some tube rolling and perhaps change those op amps if I can.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

My V6 Vivids are still working good, but sometimes they're a little too much. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'glare' condition.

If someone had laid back speakers, the Vivids would sure wake them up.

Regarding the Mullard CV2493 tube....AK member Stoutblock did the research on that one. I really like it.

Anybody want to try out some Burson V6 Vivids ? I don't know if an Op Amp rolling club is possible. We'd end up with breakage, unless we know one another's skill level.

Just an idea. You break it you, you bought it?

They are awesome for about 5% of the music I listen too. Too sensitive to the quality of the digital files and links.

If somebody had a one driver, full range, open back speaker, I bet the Vivids would wake them up.

Hmmmm...... I might swap you the Vivids for my Classics, just to see what they sound like. I would want them back regardless of the outcome as I'd just get me a pair of the Vivids if they worked well.

Hmmmm...... I might swap you the Vivids for my Classics, just to see what they sound like. I would want them back regardless of the outcome as I'd just get me a pair of the Vivids if they worked well.
Our DACs are identical, aren't they ? Tube and all.

We could swap for a week. I'd give you my address, etc.

Mine's black.

Here's a harmonica passage that is useful while trying to tame a system, it's at 2:11

I have too many areas of weakness in my system to say anything definitive about op amps. This will give me some idea of which direction to head.

ADS L1290/II not recapped, original ferrofluid, Sansui AU-X701 that needs recapping too.

I'm liking the Burson Classics so far. I'll have more to say about them.

Last edited:
Yep, I like the Vivids also. With my new amps (pr of PS Audio M700 monoblocks) the Classics had me concerned that the music was too warm. Excepting for rock. They all tamed the shrill highs but I was wondering what I was missing. The Vivids brought it all back without the shrill highs. Guess I'll have to order me a pair of them as I want both for different types of music. I usually get on a "roll" for awhile listening to certain types of music for 1-2 weeks and these are relatively easy to switch out. Worth doing the swap test.

Yep, I like the Vivids also. With my new amps (pr of PS Audio M700 monoblocks) the Classics had me concerned that the music was too warm. Excepting for rock. They all tamed the shrill highs but I was wondering what I was missing. The Vivids brought it all back without the shrill highs. Guess I'll have to order me a pair of them as I want both for different types of music. I usually get on a "roll" for awhile listening to certain types of music for 1-2 weeks and these are relatively easy to switch out. Worth doing the swap test.
Hey Kurt, just saw the post.

I'll go ahead and pull the Classics out, and rebox them. I could bring them to you tomorrow (?). I'll PM you for arrangements.

The Classics are better in my system for sure, but i don't think I'll spend the money for a new set right now.

I think I want to try some better ADs, at a lower costs.

Back
Top Bottom