Vintage European Classic & Sports Cars, GTs

audi_quattro.jpg

Audi Quattro

Strangely what i do not see often -- maybe 2-3 over a 5-year period -- is the legendary Citroen DS, the voiture fitted w/ the four-corners hydraulic suspension "lift" system. Just a hunch: I suspect the DS is a model that is tres difficile to keep "up & running". Might also have a lotta "unobtanium" where parts be concerned.

^^ have checked out a couple up close: too small for me to fit into and drive but nonetheless gorgeous to look at and watch tooling down the roadways here.

Perfect thread for a a personal story unfolding in my life...

I've posted in this thread that my first car was a Black Volvo P1800 with red interior (looked pretty much like this one)
VolvoP1800-02.jpg

Beyond that, I have owned a 1978 262c Bertone, 1981 242, 1985 240DL Wagon, 1991 740 Wagon, and a 1997 V70. Currently a pair of Full Size GM SUVs. One is sidelined because I need to replace most of the front end AND it has had its tail dunked in the bay too many times (rot is far worse than I want to deal with), The other had me working from home more than not over 2 weeks while chasing an issue. This had me surfing the current gen of "Bubble Trucklettes" (as my wife calls them) to see what is out there for a cheap lease. When I fessed up to the boss, she said "They all look the bleepin same, nothing has any style". She continued wishing we could get another 240 wagon...

Challenge Accepted!

I have posted a "wanted' craigslist ad and started to refresh myself on Volvo mechanics (haven't been under one in ages) and I'm full in on building her a "Sport Wagon" :thumbsup:

Here are some examples:

VolvoWagon-01.jpg

VolvoWagon-02.jpg

VolvoWagon-03.jpg

There was one of these in yellow (Opel GT) just up the street from me where I grew up, and there was a FIAT Abarth in the neighborhood for awhile also.

1957_Fiat_Abarth_Zagato_750_CORSA_-_fvr_%2812913087525%29.jpg

While I've not (yet) seen an Abarth in person here, there are several "au vende" in the online marketplace "Lebocoin", France's CL, only not as sleezy as CL. Those Anbarth vehicles that are fully restored are tres expensive, and even survivor examples command quite a few shekels. Very nice photo BTW.

Regrettably, this is not my photo. It appears to have been taken at a show somewhere, perhaps a Concours d' Elegance at Pebble Beach (just guessing from the background, and state of the green lawn. I always wanted to learn more about the example that was in my neighborhhood, specifically to learn about the LeMans plackards on the back. There were 4 or 5 of them, but I don't remember the years. It truly was a lovely little automobile in person.

Saw one of these this morning during a quick shopping trip to/from Germany (car was parked @ a "dm" store parking lot in Perl, Germany); not sure of the year but I think it's a '63 or '64 and definitely an Austin-Healey Sprint:
64 AH Sprint.jpeg

nb: did not have my phone or I'd have snapped a photo, but the specimen @ the "dm" parking lot was about this shade of blue, though the brightwork not quite as shiny as what's depicted above.

Back
Top Bottom