Audio Nirvana Alnico 15" Classic builds Open Baffle ?'s

joespride

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Started with the 5.6 Cubic Foot Bass Reflex Cabinets, I felt like the bass was to much and did not sound clean and articulate. The rest of the sound spectrum was very nice but I just could not get past the occasional bass overload and poor quality. Also experienced some cabinet resonance that was annoying as hell.

David at Common Sense Audio also states the 15's are good for Open Baffle. I happened to have some scrap panels in the shed from breaking down some old shelves and tables couple of them were perfect for Davids suggested baffle size 24" X 30" Cut the holes and wings have the baffles leaning back maybe 10 degrees.

Mounted the drivers and Bass is surprisingly good, I also get to use my TUBA horn subs for augmentation.

Now the 1 issue I have found with the shortish Baffle is the stage is low as though I am listening from the
Balcony. I laid the 5.6 BR cabinets down and set the open Baffles on top now the drivers centers are approx 34" off the floor. Now the Stage is about level with my head / ears when seated though I do get some good height in the sound stage (1812 overture Violins could be clearly heard at 2 different levels left of center)

Now need to get some good wood and make some presentable baffles. Anyone with experience care to chime in about Baffle designs

I would like to pad the front of the baffle and cover the pad with a faux leather material

I am also thinking about a 1.5 inch thick baffle with an arched top

Last I am thinking I will keep the 10 degree tilt back and have a bit more baffle exposed on top side of driver currently only have approx 4 inches with 5 inches to each side and 20 inches below the driver

Any info. on Baffle design would be greatly appreciated

I will add pics when I get better baffles built

I'm no expert but I like my main driver around 36" from the floor and that's measured from it's center. That's close to ear level when seated. I use an off set and some claim it makes a difference but I can't say for sure. It's necessary with these H-frames to make room for the tweeter. As good as those big AN's sound they'll sound even better if you add woofers. Not just any woofer but those designed to move air in free space ( high Qts.). The Eminence Alpha 15A is a popular choice. I use 3/4 MDF or plywood. Thick baffles are fine as long as you don't use solid wood which can expand and crack.

P1010004.jpg

Thanks for the Replys. I plan on a 3/4 MDF Baffle I thought about doubling that (Glue and screwed 2 pieces together) I am looking at a 24" wide Baffle with wings straight back Though I must admit your speaker looks amazing What is that finish ? Like the bucket sub also :) Care to share more info on the design or have a thread you could point me to covering the build ?

Just saw Home of the fighting Gamecocks are you in SC ? I am approx 10 miles across the border in NC...................Storm prepping :(

Thanks for the Replys. I plan on a 3/4 MDF Baffle I thought about doubling that (Glue and screwed 2 pieces together) I am looking at a 24" wide Baffle with wings straight back Though I must admit your speaker looks amazing What is that finish ? Like the bucket sub also :) Care to share more info on the design or have a thread you could point me to covering the build ?

My H-frame is an open ended cube with an Eminence Alpha 15 located on a baffle in the center of the cube. All outside measurements are 19 inches. The inverted T baffle where you would mount the AN is 19 x 19 x 25 (H). The main driver center is off set 8 inches from the short side and 9 inches from the top. I run my mains full range with nothing in the signal path. The woofers I power with a TPA3116 class D amp and low pass it with a active crossover. If you don't want to invest in an active crossover you can use a plate amp to power and filter the woofers.

My H-frames are painted 3/4 plywood ( HD's Behr silver hill sample ). The inverted T top is wall papered MDF painted in the same color . Black trim is screen door molding.

Last edited:
Just saw Home of the fighting Gamecocks are you in SC ? I am approx 10 miles across the border in NC...................Storm prepping :(

Our schools are closed and many will be used as shelters for the mandatory evacuations from our coast. This one looks worse than Hugo which did a number on the Carolinas. My cousin had pines fall though her house in Matthews, NC during Hugo.

My Kinda build. I have been considering wall paper as a finish on my baffles as well maybe some antique looking map or ? I saw you mentioned Ed Schillig, I just bought his Truth Pre-amp. Went to his house and picked it up. He's a wild man he did not set still for more than 3 minutes in the 3 hours I was there. Stay Safe, I just set up a 9000 watt generator that back feeds the breaker box through a 30 amp circuit breaker. So we can hopefully keep the freezers cold and keep running water from the well Thanks for the info I have some things to consider...................

My Kinda build. I have been considering wall paper as a finish on my baffles as well maybe some antique looking map or ? I saw you mentioned Ed Schillig, I just bought his Truth Pre-amp. Went to his house and picked it up. He's a wild man he did not set still for more than 3 minutes in the 3 hours I was there. Stay Safe, I just set up a 9000 watt generator that back feeds the breaker box through a 30 amp circuit breaker. So we can hopefully keep the freezers cold and keep running water from the well Thanks for the info I have some things to consider...................

I don't know if Ed ever forgave me for building the Frugal Horns rather than buying his HS Horns. I've heard his Truth preamp and it's in a league of it's own. If he has another Hornfest I'll be there.

Maybe I'll use decoupaged sheet music to cover my next baffle.

Been doing some reading and found that folks like the Emminence alpha 15a to augment bass. I also found a few folks liking the Goldwood 1858 18" driver. I will be using my 15" AN driver for everything above 100 (at least thats the plan) My plan is to build a baffle 45 inchs tall put the AN up high and mount the bass driver low adding parts to make it either an H or U frame. I am leaning to the 18" woofer I have always felt the larger the cone the more air moved the better the bass

Thoughts ?

Who says open Baffle has no Bass ? I contend it must be someone that has not actually heard the Emminence Alpha 15 A, I almost $%^T Myself Holy Crap these twin 15 in the HFrame really do dig deep

I initially wanted the Goldwood 18" drivers for my Bass but No One has them in stock, Parts express had stated they would be in mid Sept. I called and now they are saying end of Oct. I said Hell with it and picked up a pair of the 15" I am sure glad I ended up with the 15's they are so deep in my small space I fear the 18 would have been to much

So I ended up with the 19" cube with the 15 set 1" off center, and my AN 15" on a 19" wide baffle, center of the driver is right at 36" off the floor. Power the AN with 30 WPC Triode Mode PP, and the bass with Crown xls1002 cut off at 100Hz......................Color me a convert.................I will hug my OB Daily :rockon:

OB Baby.PNG

OH Yes and a shout out to Poultrygeist for the advice and measurements...................Much Appreciated :beerchug:

Thanks joe and those look fantastic. Glad to see you venturing outside of the box. :)

I've been preaching the OB sermon for as long as I've been on this forum and it's always encouraging to see others take the road less traveled.

Its been a journey, I tried the Hawthorne Iris several years ago but I was all caught up in the SET Horn thing, those could sound amazing also. I find the current set up rivals all those previous. The budget was MUCH friendlier putting the OB together as well. Now if I can just stay content and spend my efforts on acquiring music Thanks again

joespride,

Noticed what looks like BL horns in your picture. Are they Ed's HSH? In spite of all the OB's my Frugal Horns still get played a lot.

P1010030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom