Is it OK to be happy with your system?

telemike

I've gone thru a bunch of different receivers, amps and speakers the past 5 years and now my current system which is modest and "mid-fi" sounds good to me and although the internet tells me I need better equipment, the sound I am getting is good to me and I enjoy my music collection.

Harman / Kardon HK3490 stereo receiver
Harman / Kardon DVD38 cd transport
JVC QL-A200 turntable with MD2019 (AT10) cart
Klipsch KG3.2 speakers

I mean, I still scout Bartertown, Craigslist, and other sites for deals on stereo stuff, but I don't really feel a need to change out what I have.

I do have in backup status:

Sony STR-GX80ES
Sony DVP-S7700

The 80ES is better built and better components, but the HK just has this clarity in that the background is noise free and everything just pops out.

Am i crazy?

It's not ok.

Our western system of commerce, often described as "free enterprise", depends on consumers consuming. If no one is consuming new stereos, the companies that make them will go out of business, resulting in no new stereos for new stereo buyers and -- eventually -- no used stereos for vintage or pre-owned buyers to buy. Likewise, if no one buys used gear on Craigslist or eBay, before long there will be no Craigslist or eBay.

Surely, no one wants that, do they?

Therefore, it is your duty to buy new and used gear, as much and as often as possible, so that we collectively keep the wheels of commerce turning and maintain a steady flow of goods from producers and former owners to new buyers.

Furthermore, we're all getting old. If there is an insufficiency of new eventual-buyers of stereos being born, there will eventually be no new listeners growing up wanting stereos. Once again, the result will be no new stereos, no old stereos, no Craigslist, and no eBay.

Therefore, it is not only your duty to buy new and used gear as much and as often as possible, it is also your duty to breed as much and as often as possible, so that we can ensure a steady supply of buyers now and in the future.

It's not ok.

Our western system of commerce, often described as "free enterprise", depends on consumers consuming. If no one is consuming new stereos, the companies that make them will go out of business, resulting in no new stereos for new stereo buyers and -- eventually -- no used stereos for vintage or pre-owned buyers to buy. Likewise, if no one buys used gear on Craigslist or eBay, before long there will be no Craigslist or eBay.

Therefore, it is your duty to buy new and used gear, as much and as often as possible, so that we collectively keep the wheels of commerce turning and maintain a steady flow of goods from producers and former owners to new buyers.

Furthermore, we're all getting old. If there is an insufficiency of new eventual-buyers of stereos being born, there will eventually be no new listeners growing up wanting stereos. Once again, the result will be no new stereos, no old stereos, no Craigslist, and no eBay.

Therefore, it is not only your duty to buy new and used gear as much and as often as possible, it is also your duty to breed as much and as often as possible, so that we can ensure a steady supply of buyers now and in the future.

That's called sewing dissatisfaction. No retailer worth his $49 sport jacket will tell you your current item is fine.

The only better amp I had was the Sony STR-GX10ES and I will get another one that doesn't have issues someday I hope. Always wanted a Mac too, but they are too pricey. Nostalgia tells me to get a Pioneer SX-950 or SX-3900

It's not ok.

Non-consumerism is un-American. If you want to be content and happy you need to move to Canada.

Non-consumerism is un-American. If you want to be content and happy you need to move to Canada.

I have been using my new now old stereo system since the day I bought them.

Yamaha CR-2020 receiver
Philips 212 turn table
KEF 104ab speakers

Added and rotated in a few other turn tables about ten years ago when they became available at a very reasonable price.

Added several newer vintage systems since then! :thumbsup:

Why give up happiness and go chasing something else that may, or may not, sound better?

It's OK to look at other stuff but when you are done looking, sit back and enjoy the system you have. It's a better place to be, trust me.

I like my system too. I only have one more upgrade I want to do to it but it doesn't have to be done for me to enjoy and cherish what I have.

I have been using my new now old stereo system since the day I bought them.

Yamaha CR-2020 receiver
Philips 212 turn table
KEF 104ab speakers

Added and rotated in a few other turn tables about ten years ago when they became available at a very reasonable price.

Added several newer vintage systems since then! :thumbsup:

That is a classic system. I too am hooked on the KEF 104aB's I bought in 1978. Later I bought another set. Re-capped them all last year. I found that running 2 pairs in 4 ohm config with an enormous amp REALLY brings out their detail and depth. Phillips 212's are great with a Stanton 681ee. I went with separates so I've been running preamps (DB Systems) since 1977. Added in their power amp when I didn't use 2 pair of KEF on one system.

Back
Top Bottom