Is it OK to be happy with your system?

You can read everything and think you gotta get new stuff and everything will be "better". . Many people dive down that rabbit hole without a clear definition of what "better" really is to them.

Now, you can buy new stuff and it will most likely "change" the sound, but whether that "change" is "better" is up for debate. Many initially feel "different" sounds "better", but without a clear vision of your goal, you're chasing a carrot on a stick.

carrot on  stick.jpg

It's a wise and happy man that can live contentedly with what he has.

Yeah, I've chased speakers, receivers, integrated amps, cd players, etc and now have what I have after all that. Some I regret selling. The HK3490 has the AKM DAC's that sound great with my TV (Firestick) and the dvd player. The klipsch have that super clear treble from the horn and plenty of bass. The Polk 7's were also a really great speaker.

I'm very happy with what I've got. Is there better available? There's no doubt about it. I acknowledge there's better and leave it at that. That doesn't mean if I'm confronted with a super deal on something I lust after I won't buy it. I'm just not actively looking.

Time to play some music!

Non-consumerism is un-American. If you want to be content and happy you need to move to Canada.
Whooaa there big fella, I'm a high end guy.
I've gone thru a bunch of different receivers, amps and speakers the past 5 years and now my current system which is modest and "mid-fi" sounds good to me and although the internet tells me I need better equipment, the sound I am getting is good to me and I enjoy my music collection.

Harman / Kardon HK3490 stereo receiver
Harman / Kardon DVD38 cd transport
JVC QL-A200 turntable with MD2019 (AT10) cart
Klipsch KG3.2 speakers

I mean, I still scout Bartertown, Craigslist, and other sites for deals on stereo stuff, but I don't really feel a need to change out what I have.

I do have in backup status:

Sony STR-GX80ES
Sony DVP-S7700

The 80ES is better built and better components, but the HK just has this clarity in that the background is noise free and everything just pops out.

Am i crazy?
Low end vs High end has nothing in common with being content. It's why we upgrade. Oh, but for "you" exclusively, there apparently must not be any distinction. Don't pay attention to bullshit, no doubt you know it when you see it.

Heck I am perfectly happy/content with my system and its from Radio Shack.... the horror...!
My ONLY disappointment with my system is the limited (severely limited) amount of time I am afforded to enjoy it.

I actually consider myself fortunate that I grew up with and around very low-fi audio equipment, my parents couldn't afford (and wouldn't spend on) mid or high end audio equipment.. so what I have today is way higher up the food chain than what I was originally exposed to... add to that years in manufacturing environments that has surely caused some amount of hearing loss/damage... so truly, I dont know any better and am happy to be blissfully ignorant...

Ben

Last edited:
Whooaa there big fella, I'm a high end guy.
How is that relevant? After all, someone once told me...
Low end vs High end has nothing in common with being content.
Contentment is as much a mindset as anything, and unrestrained consumerism isn't conductive to that. Not to say personality doesn't play a part, but even a strong personality can be bludgeoned into submission with enough outside pressure.

I'm quite content with what I have for a system now. Even if I wasn't, I doubt I could do any better for my ears for the budget I can afford for audio (which is almost zero). If I do come across a screamin' deal on something once in a while I'll try it out but usually it won't stay in my system for long because I like what I have and anything new would have to really blow away my current gear for me to keep it so I move it along. Most of my audio money goes to purchasing music, it's about the music Right? :p

It's not ok.

Our western system of commerce, often described as "free enterprise", depends on consumers consuming. If no one is consuming new stereos, the companies that make them will go out of business, resulting in no new stereos for new stereo buyers and -- eventually -- no used stereos for vintage or pre-owned buyers to buy. Likewise, if no one buys used gear on Craigslist or eBay, before long there will be no Craigslist or eBay.

Surely, no one wants that, do they?

Therefore, it is your duty to buy new and used gear, as much and as often as possible, so that we collectively keep the wheels of commerce turning and maintain a steady flow of goods from producers and former owners to new buyers.

Furthermore, we're all getting old. If there is an insufficiency of new eventual-buyers of stereos being born, there will eventually be no new listeners growing up wanting stereos. Once again, the result will be no new stereos, no old stereos, no Craigslist, and no eBay.

Therefore, it is not only your duty to buy new and used gear as much and as often as possible, it is also your duty to breed as much and as often as possible, so that we can ensure a steady supply of buyers now and in the future.

7997589708_f4c7138b27_b.jpg

There's no explaining that incredible sensation we get when we plug in our recently acquired gear. For me there's no high end or low end, only that satisfaction I feel when something I have works well. Right now I'm enjoying an old Garrard Turntable that is supposed to be "non Hi fi" but guess what? To me it sounds amazing. It's from 1964. Beyond cool.

I'm perfectly happy with my main system, and all the stuff I aquired to make it just right allowed me to put together 2 additional real nice systems that I'm pretty happy with!;)

Turn it on and turn it up. If that don't get it done get something else. I'm completely satisfied but never content.
I say this while digging on the Chili Peppers.

As Paul K was to have said, go out to a live acoustical concert, no electronics, and tune up your ears. If your system makes you has happy as the concert you deserve a big gold star. Thats all thats necessary. There are many expensive systems that can't meet those goals. I was a musician in college and high school having started in the 4th grade. When I find a recording that takes me back to those days I realize how great my system is. It doesn't matter that some components are 50 years old or others are two years old, the sum can take me back to those special times. That's all that's necessary for me. I also mixed for college and weekly CW concerts for years, and hearing those sounds also make me happy. I also did remote recordings of performing groups and hearing those again sounding better than the live concert sends chills down my spine. Some times my system can be to revealing with pre-recorded performances for consumers, be they analog or digital . Thats unfortunate, but thats my choice. At least I have the flexibility to detune the system to make those recordings enjoyable.

My first speaker purchase almost 30 years ago are still my main speakers, and I still use my first stereo purchased at the same time at least half a dozen times a month, often more.

Back
Top Bottom