Today's JAZZ playlist

I used to be..."anti-reissue", a sort of snob purest, but as I have discovered, getting the real deal isn't always cheap or expedient. SO, I've come to like reissues, their quality can be dubious, but at the same time, they are more available. Capitol mining its vaults did do a service to may who may've never seen or had access to the real deal. NOW, if Mosaics were more available (and cheaper), I'd be happier.

Ha ha, yeah we all have our own feelings and approach on all this. For me, I love the reissues made in the 70s because they were the ones I grew up with. Things like the Verve double LPs of 1950s sessions, and the Prestige double LPs. I love all that stuff. And the sound quality is great on them as it is on that Capitol Classics series. It was great too when OJC started reissuing many of the classic LPs. Those things used to go for $4.99. I got a bunch of them back in the day, but I should have gotten more! I've shied away from the new reissues though. I know there can be some good ones, but I've heard there sometimes are issues.

38177094_2125925417728048_4566016273959354368_n.jpg

MAKE BELIEVE
I STILL SUITS ME
NOBODY ELSE BUT ME
I MIGHT FALL BACK ON YOU
I HAVE THE ROOM ABOVE HER
BILL
CAN’T HELP LOVIN’ THAT MAN
LIFE UPON THE WICKED STAGE
OL’ MAN RIVER
WHY DO I LOVE YOU?

John Carisi (tp,arr,cond), Bob Brookmeyer (vtb.) Phil Woods, (as) Barry Galbraith, Jimmy Raney, Billy Bauer, Howard Collins, Allan Hanlon (g) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)

This I will have to check out. I used to see Johnny Carisi play when he would sit in at Jimmy Ryan's back in the 70s.

TBH, 99% of the time that I've experienced hum on my equipment it was from an external source.

These days our houses are full of all kinds of noise emitting stuff, that older gear is simply not shielded for.
And it's totally random sometimes, just switching out an amp for one with slightly different shielding can cause hum where before there was none.

I cant have my phone within 2' of my SABA receiver or I get a noise everytime I have an inbounding text. Seriously.
But I can leave it on top of my Luxman or Nikko all day long.
I've gotten hum from cheap USB powersupplies more times than I care to mention. sometimes from another room if it happened to be on the same circuit.

Usually the DEAD LAST thing I suspect are caps. If it's not coming form the speakers but is rather mechanical usually it's a transformer.
And of course dirty pots can hum. A lot :p

Eric

Very interesting, Eric. Thanks. The thing about the hum in the Sherwood is that it has hummed in a couple of different households, and in different places in those households. I'm thinking it truly does have something to do with the unit itself. But the hum did seem more pronounced when I plugged it in here at our new house. I'll have to check that out again.

Last edited:
Ha ha, yeah we all have our own feelings and approach on all this. For me, I love the reissues made in the 70s because they were the ones I grew up with. Things like the Verve double LPs of 1950s sessions, and the Prestige double LPs. I love all that stuff. And the sound quality is great on them as it is on that Capitol Classics series. It was great too when OJC started reissuing many of the classic LPs. Those things used to go for $4.99. I got a bunch of them back in the day, but I should have gotten more! I've shied away from the new reissues though. I know there can be some good ones, but I've heard there sometimes are issues.

The thing is, when the reissue costs as much or more than the original, then it becomes a question of availablity. There are always outliers. Example, the Paul Gonsalves record I recently picked up was originally released in the U.K. on Vocalian. The original record goes for something stupid like $3,500USD! Reissue here I come. BTW Those OJC reissues are darn nice. I was at a record show last year and a dealer had a boatload of them. I've been kicking myself for not focusing on them because he had catalog. It would have been nice to fill in some spaces in artists that I like. Fortunately the same show is coming up at the end of this month, I'll be looking for him again.

Very interesting, Eric. Thanks. The thing about the hum in the Sherwood is that it has hummed in a couple of different households, and in different places in those households. I'm thinking it truly does have something to do with the unit itself. But the hum did seem more pronounced when I plugged it in here at our new house. I'll have to check that out again.

I'm no expert, I only play one on TV, so I'll chime in with the comment of "grounding". Somewhere in this dirty dusty attic of a brain I carry around with me, I seem to remember the admonition to ".....make sure it's properly grounded." That's all, carry on.

I'm no expert, I only play one on TV, so I'll chime in with the comment of "grounding". Somewhere in this dirty dusty attic of a brain I carry around with me, I seem to remember the admonition to ".....make sure it's properly grounded." That's all, carry on.

Oh yeah, I at least have that much together! ;)

The thing is, when the reissue costs as much or more than the original, then it becomes a question of availablity. There are always outliers. Example, the Paul Gonsalves record I recently picked up was originally released in the U.K. on Vocalian. The original record goes for something stupid like $3,500USD! Reissue here I come. BTW Those OJC reissues are darn nice. I was at a record show last year and a dealer had a boatload of them. I've been kicking myself for not focusing on them because he had catalog. It would have been nice to fill in some spaces in artists that I like. Fortunately the same show is coming up at the end of this month, I'll be looking for him again.

Yeah, I know these record prices. Ok, I can understand big money for a Black Patti, but this other stuff is out of control. I can totally see going for the original if you don't get a nosebleed looking at the price, or if it is about as expensive as a reissue.

Definitely check to see if that seller has more OJC's!

I'm pretty sure said this a few times, but those OJC sides were a steal.
The CDs are great, too.

Back
Top Bottom