What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

Short listening session tonight. Played some source material that I know and trust.

Played in my 10' x 12' man cave. Marantz 6000 ose cd player / Denon DP1500 tt with Denon DL 103 cart and using a Beyer Dynamics SUT between the tt and phono stage of a Fisher 500b receiver. Phono tubes are vintage Telefunkin.

On cd...Greatest Hits Elton John on DCC gold mastered by Steve Hoffman.

On vinyl...Tom Petty Greatest Hits on Geffen mastered by Chris Bellman.

Both sounded fantastic through the 880/2. Very similar sound to my L570's. They seem to do everything the 570's do but with a larger sound stage, a little better midrange and more bass grunt. Surprisingly open for an acoustic suspended speaker. Certainly more open than some AR's and KLH's I own.

The 500b didn't seem to have any issues driving the speakers. Got quite loud at 11 to 12 o'clock on the volume control in the small room. So far, so good and I'm a happy camper.
The 880's are nice speakers I have a set here I wouldn't part with them. If you get a chance give them some more power and current.... they will come alive.

I tested mine last night with Astrud Gilberto's version of The Girl from Ipanema. What I love is the detail, when I closed my eyes I thought I could feel the air moving out of the saxophone and I could hear the quiver in the vocals. It's the detail, but that's just me.

Edit
I did further listening with different genres of music and the detail is really there, you can pick out and follow every single bass note or any other instrument for that matter. I also observed it has a strong central image but at the same time very good channel separation.

And.. I almost forgot, it puts a really big smile on your face!

Last edited:
My 880/2's are still upstairs....took wifey a couple of days to notice, then it was...how long will THOSE be here?....lmao.

I'll see how long I can put her off...haha

Played dsotm the other day....wow. Sounded soo good. Last night Aja....sounded awesome too.

My 880/2's are still upstairs....took wifey a couple of days to notice, then it was...how long will THOSE be here?....lmao.

I'll see how long I can put her off...haha

Played dsotm the other day....wow. Sounded soo good. Last night Aja....sounded awesome too.
Tell her "as long as I like listening to them!" Geeze, do we men ever question ANYTHING or wives do? :rant: Not me! :oops:

Gave her a vague answer and left it at that. Let's see how long they last.

When she starts getting on me about my equipment, cds and albums I tell her I suffer the same affliction that causes her to buy so many shoes and pocket books....

You’ve sent me down a rabbit hole (a small one admittedly). Never heard of Bea1991 and now going through the whole album. It’s brilliant!!!
Yeah, Bea is awesome! Sorry to be such a bad influence. I'll go stand in the corner now with my headphones on.:p

It’s a genuine excitement when you discover new music. Wish I had a better discovery rate.

She has a few albums too! Just finished the first before I realised it didn’t have Breadwinner on it.

It’s a genuine excitement when you discover new music. Wish I had a better discovery rate.

She has a few albums too! Just finished the first before I realised it didn’t have Breadwinner on it.
I recently discovered this band on YT, huge portfolio of really fun toe tappin, dancin music.
Check them out when you get a chance.
Club des Belugas

Back
Top Bottom