My face when The Kinks play

Yep, that's been the usual consensus among music/social critics for decades, and probably among non-critics, too. The sort order usually goes, top to bottom: Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks.

Not to piss anyone off, but The Stones didn't perform an original song until 9 years into their career...lol.

Not to piss anyone off, but The Stones didn't perform an original song until 9 years into their career...lol.

Not intending to start a flame war or rancourous quarrel, but is this statement in fact accurate? Unless The Stones formed no later than, say, 1954, this seems mathematically impossible, for they were certainly penning original material by 1964.

(paging @KeninDC)

Last edited:

I'm guilty of exaggerating to make a point, so I get what you're saying. Sometimes it seems the Stones didn't write their own material until Goats Head Soup in 1973.

The Stones' first self-penned single, attributed to "Nanker Phelge," was the November 1963 instrumental ditty called "Stoned." There were a few lyrics like "stoned... where am I at," but it is not a fully formed song. The first real Jagger/Richards song was "Tell Me" in 1964 and was on their first album.

Ok you know this is not true, but what if we looked at the percentage of time in there career, and the amount of albums putout. It would be like most artist doing one cover song in their career.

I'm guilty of exaggerating to make a point, so I get what you're saying.
LOL

I get this is a thread about the Kinks like there needs to be attention given to them. I'v always liked lots of their music and have unknown number of their albums.

But the Stones they are not, hell the stones have been together almost longer than I have beed alive. Being born in 61, that alone is saying a lot, and they still put out a hit studio record in 2016. It was back to their roots and back to cover songs. But it was good and what people want to hear.

I'm guilty of exaggerating to make a point, so I get what you're saying. Sometimes it seems the Stones didn't write their own material until Goats Head Soup in 1973.

The Stones' first self-penned single, attributed to "Nanker Phelge," was the November 1963 instrumental ditty called "Stoned." There were a few lyrics like "stoned... where am I at," but it is not a fully formed song. The first real Jagger/Richards song was "Tell Me" in 1964 and was on their first album.

I totally agree and yes it was sarcasm. Thanks for the schoolin' Ken!

Another Kinks Fan here, I have several of their albums - was delighted back in the 80s when they came back into vogue... They don't get the credit they deserve - God Save the Kinks! ;-)

Yeah, still gets me a bit weepy when Celluloid Heroes or Come Dancing pops up my playlists ...
even Eno's weird take on You really got me (801 Live) brings a smile!

Love the Kinks. The double album Kinks Kronikles is a great starter set. No more looking Back from the Schoolboy's in Disgrace album is on every mix list I've ever made.

Back
Top Bottom