Fuses and sound quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineers don't waste their time writing dissertations of product advancements. They spend their time working on product advancements.

You must operate in a very small bubble. A blanket statement like that is just so wrong as to be comical. Many engineers do indeed write papers discussing their theories in order to gain funding for product advancements. Where do you think investment money comes from? Smart investors, you know the kind with deep pockets, dont invest in a company or product without some kind of written proposal or white paper that can be investigated by the investor.

Engineers that dont publish papers on a discovery they have made are pretty stupid. Because if they dont get the copywright started on that discovery, it will be stolen. You are now out of your comfort zone in this discussion. You lost all semblance of knowing how the industry works when you said "Engineers dont waste their time xxxxxx". What you should have said is; "Engineers that dont want to be anything other than a cog in a corporate machine, dont waste their time writing xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

They just arbitrarily dismiss design aspects using *200 year old theory* without having any exposure whatsoever to the specifics.
There's a big difference between a "200 year old theory" and 200 years of confirmed theory, research and development that has gone on every day of those 200 years.

I made reference to the latter, not the former.

I'm curious what you mean by "arbitrarily dismiss design aspects" and "without having any exposure whatsoever to the specifics". Can you be more specific?

They just arbitrarily dismiss design aspects using *200 year old theory* without having any exposure whatsoever to the specifics.

No, they back up their new theories with facts discussed in white papers circulated in their industry. Because REAL scientists and engineers know that without backing up their thoughts with scientific experiments, they will be laughed out of the room........by "amateurs" like us and with their peers.

Many engineers do indeed write papers discussing their theories in order to gain funding for product advancements.
A successful commercial speaker company seeking *funding* from an outside source via a white paper to advance their technology? What are your smoking?

No, they back up their new theories with facts discussed in white papers circulated in their industry.
I've asked this of Dave but understandably got no response. Let's see how you respond.

Cite a *white paper* that discusses the audibility of in-signal fuses.

Didn't think so. Why? Most folks couldn't care less about that level of audio reproduction. Just like you.

If I were running a 70s receiver or integrated with similar period bookshelf speakers, I would certainly agree that's the last thing I'd be thinking about to improve the overall results. :)

Last edited:
A commercial speaker company seeking *funding* from an outside source to advance their technology? What are your smoking?
Unless speaker companies are somehow different from other technological companies, there are almost certainly commercial speaker companies that seek funding for everything from technical research to market expansion. There are numerous funding bodies that exist to support such relationships, e.g., Horizon 2020 (https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/what-horizon-2020). I know this because as an academic, I am not infrequently invited to meetings with companies seeking such investment.

A commercial speaker company seeking *funding* from an outside source to advance their technology? What are your smoking?

You are smoking the same circular argument: It IS true that fuses make a difference in sound! Can you offer any evidence of that? No, but the companies selling the expensive fuses have the research. Really? Can you post that research, sounds interesting! No, they wont publish it. Got it.

So we have to take your word for it that scientific research exists to back up the claims presented?.........claims that would be revolutionary but the companies dont have the time to publish?

If you say so.

I've asked this of Dave but understandably got no response. Let's see how you respond.

Cite a *white paper* that discusses the audibility of in-signal fuses.

Didn't think so. Why? Most folks couldn't care less about that level of audio reproduction. Just like you. :)
Where did you ask this of me?

I must have missed a post.

If there isn't any scientific basis for audibility of in-signal fuses, we're unlikely to find a paper discussing the audibility of in-signal fuses, which would otherwise be like finding a paper on astrology in a journal on biology.

That would be post #22.
This is what you wrote in post #22:
E-Stat said:
Gee, I haven't seen a whit of anything in your posts but unsubstantiated speculation. To some, your sweeping, fact-free declarations might mean something.

And the usual inclusion of your favorite take on anything outside your experience: psychoacoustics. :)
What part of that is asking me to cite a white paper on the audibility of fuses?
Yet another logical fallacy. Pretty sad.
It was an analogy as part of a quip, not a formal argument.

Can you post that research, sounds interesting! No, they wont publish it. Got it.
Peter Walker never posted any research about his electrostatics.
Nelson Pass never posted any research about his many incredible amplifier designs.
The engineers at dCS never posted and research about their digital technology.
SME never posted any research about their legendary tonearms and turntables.

Sheesh!

Nelson Pass never posted any research about his many incredible amplifier designs.
You're talking about the same Nelson Pass that participates in diyaudio.com and freely shares his schematics and designs, right?

Indeed, not every company and not every engineer publishes, but if some discovery about sound enhancement using special fuses were revealed, even if the specific details were kept secret, the very notion -- verified -- would be an unprecedented scientific breakthrough. It would transform electronics -- and maybe physics itself -- as we know it.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? This discussion is about as interesting as that question. We can surely find more interesting things in audio to discuss.

This is a discussion?
Absolutely not.

It is mostly a collection of non-experiential speculation with all manner of textbook logical fallacies added to the mix.

Let me tell you all about what I've never experienced. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom