Fuses and sound quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such endless posturing using the Argument from Authority fallacy.

Peter Walker never posted any research about his electrostatics.
Nelson Pass never posted any research about his many incredible amplifier designs.
The engineers at dCS never posted and research about their digital technology.
SME never posted any research about their legendary tonearms and turntables.

Sheesh!
Kettle

Gee, it appears that I'm the only one on this thread who has actually ever experimented with bypassing in-signal fuses comparing one changed to the other left stock. Why do you suppose that the vast majority of speakers don't incorporate them?

I share my experience as opposed to the *theory* of what was going on in 1818. :)

Last edited:
I bypassed the fuses on my Acoustat Spectra 22's and Model 1's years ago. I don't care what anyone thinks. The fuses will never be replaced.

I think you have to be careful dismissing the removal/replacement of fuses in certain speakers. It can have a beneficial effect, not the least of which is better contact and less distortion from old fuses/fuse holders.

We all know HF units are often protected by low value fuses with considerable resistance and consequent non-linearities. The Infinity RSM tweeters for instance and some Maggies.

Generally, the higher the value of fuse, the less series resistance it has. By the time your fuses are up above 2-3A, voltage drops are pretty much a non-issue IME. I have had old preamplifiers that used extremely low value (<100mA) fuses on the PSU rails that showed quite a voltage drop in operation.

As long as the fuses are of proven quality, type, and within the rating prescribed by the manufacturer, I see no problem with 'designer fuses'. Me, I wouldn't use them in a pink fit- unless I could satisfy myself they had a measurable benefit. Others have different views and that's fine.

Let's not turn this into yet another subject that results in thread locks- we are mature men and women (aren't we?)

Dave is just boosting his post count with these continued arguments. In the thread about the Pink Floyd album covers painted on the backs of women here today, Dave mentioned that photoshop would be the way today and I mentioned that SI's Swimsuit Issue has painted swimsuits. He response, as you would expect, written proof, documentation, a/b triple blind testing. I guess he didn't understand that blind testing is a stupid thing, especially when the item is women in swimsuits or women with ones that are painted on.

Wow. From the article:

It took us forever to paint the girls: they had to be still for five or six hours while their backs were painted by the very expert Phyllis Cohen. From left to right, the albums are: 'Atom Heart Mother', 'Relics', 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here', 'The Wall' and 'Animals'.

Epic. These days it would be the same starting point for the picture with the same bare backs, but one quick snap and they can go home. No paint needed, given a skilled -- but much faster -- hand in Photoshop.

Apparently you are not from around here. The annual Sports Illustrated "Swimsuit" issue has had hand painted swimsuits on models for years. It is the way it is done in many places. Yes, it takes hours and hours to get it right and have the completion coincide with the correct light at the photo location.

Interesting. Do you have a link/reference/source for that?

Why should we have to cite links/references/sources for any of this crap we discuss. If I hear it, I hear it and I don't care if you don't. If you don't believe me that is fine, but get over it. There are 7 billion different levels of human hearing acuity in the world and who are you to question someone's hearing, an academic? Fine. Doesn't work for me though.

God forbid somebody has to back up anything they say. I have never heard that complete swimsuits were painted on and I would like to see more about that. How is it wrong to be asked to prove or give more info?

God forbid somebody has to back up anything they say. I have never heard that complete swimsuits were painted on and I would like to see more about that. How is it wrong to be asked to prove or give more info?
because of google

I honestly had no idea that they painted the swimsuits on and thought you were just making fun of Dave but that is actually a thing. Weird.

I've also got two different fuses in my hands and have been listening to them for hours and neither sound like anything so I dunno about this whole thread.

I honestly had no idea that they painted the swimsuits on and thought you were just making fun of Dave but that is actually a thing. Weird.

I've also got two different fuses in my hands and have been listening to them for hours and neither sound like anything so I dunno about this whole thread.
Welcome to the group of folks with regular hearing that can't really tell when the high performance fuses are used. You are among friends and in the vast majority, I'm sure.

I was being facetious.

I have never tried to A/B fuses but can see how a tiny filament under load could heat up and increase its resistance.
On something like a tweeter I bet this would have a significant effect on sound but it's just an educated guess.

Painted swinsuits are way more interesting. I've seen a show once where all the models had everything from the American flag bikini to denim painted on. It was rather memorable.

I have never tried to A/B fuses but can see how a tiny filament under load could heat up and increase its resistance.
On something like a tweeter I bet this would have a significant effect on sound but it's just an educated guess.
It's a very reasonable guess.

I just picked the nearest fuse I had within reach, a 2.5 amp fast blo, and quickly measured its resistance on my Solartron 7045 bench meter (not brilliant, but a tad more accurate than the usual hand-held meters) at 0.10 ohms. Not much resistance there and no measurable inductance or (self) capacitance, so no effect on waveform shape and negligible attenuation.

The actual resistance may be even lower; with push probes the contact surface is very small, and easily contaminated with slight corrosion, fingerprints, etc.

Dave is just boosting his post count with these continued arguments. In the thread about the Pink Floyd album covers painted on the backs of women here today, Dave mentioned that photoshop would be the way today and I mentioned that SI's Swimsuit Issue has painted swimsuits. He response, as you would expect, written proof, documentation, a/b triple blind testing. I guess he didn't understand that blind testing is a stupid thing, especially when the item is women in swimsuits or women with ones that are painted on.

Why should we have to cite links/references/sources for any of this crap we discuss. If I hear it, I hear it and I don't care if you don't. If you don't believe me that is fine, but get over it. There are 7 billion different levels of human hearing acuity in the world and who are you to question someone's hearing, an academic? Fine. Doesn't work for me though.
If you claim to have heard something, I'm not going to question what you claim to have heard. It's your hearing, and I don't doubt your claims of personal experience. (What I often question is whether that very real personal experience has an acoustic basis or some other basis.)

However, if you claim something to be a fact that seems unlikely, then I am going to question you, as anyone should. Otherwise, you can make whatever nonsensical claims you like, and make them look like facts when they're not. Indeed, the flat-earthers, moon-landing deniers, and conspiracy theorists rely on precisely that unquestioned belief to spread lies.

It's easy to imagine that the same process might allow an unscrupulous manufacturer or two to get away with some interesting claims about the sonic impact of their fuses!

So in the thread you refer to, I mentioned that photography of models with pictures painted on their bodies (per an old Pink Floyd poster) would probably be done now with Photoshop rather than paint. You replied that, "Apparently you are not from around here. The annual Sports Illustrated "Swimsuit" issue has had hand painted swimsuits on models for years. It is the way it is done in many places."

What I did was look it up. Sure enough, Sports Illustrated does a yearly issue with painted-on swimsuits, as a special thing, presumably an artful (?) masturbation aid. I found nothing to suggest it "is the way it is done in many places", and your "apparently you are not from around here" seemed intended to challenge my claim that using Photoshop would be the typical modern approach.

By the way, that isn't mere speculation on my part -- I work in a place that teaches students to take photographs of models and augment them with Photoshop. Indeed, student photography is all over the walls where I work, some real and some -- actually, a lot -- Photoshopped or otherwise post-processed.

But to give you the benefit of the doubt, I figured maybe you knew something I didn't, and so I asked you for a link.

The same applies to claims about audiophile fuses. If someone makes bold and seemingly-unlikely claims about the sonic efficacy of a fuse, it is reasonable to ask them for sources and/or provide rational explanations. Otherwise, we rapidly descend into "fake news" and balderdash.

By the way, I did not ask you for "written proof, documentation, a/b triple blind testing." That is pure hyperbole, and your "I guess he didn't understand that blind testing is a stupid thing, especially when the item is women in swimsuits or women with ones that are painted on" is nonsensical to the point of being gibberish. Surely we can discuss contentious views like rational adults, without descending into schoolboy squabbling?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom