My Pink Floyd screen saver

Readily available as a poster among other things.

The 'back' story of the image:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...er-on-pink-floyds-back-catalogue-1235343.html
Wow. From the article:

It took us forever to paint the girls: they had to be still for five or six hours while their backs were painted by the very expert Phyllis Cohen. From left to right, the albums are: 'Atom Heart Mother', 'Relics', 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here', 'The Wall' and 'Animals'.

Epic. These days it would be the same starting point for the picture with the same bare backs, but one quick snap and they can go home. No paint needed, given a skilled -- but much faster -- hand in Photoshop.

Wow. From the article:

It took us forever to paint the girls: they had to be still for five or six hours while their backs were painted by the very expert Phyllis Cohen. From left to right, the albums are: 'Atom Heart Mother', 'Relics', 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here', 'The Wall' and 'Animals'.

Epic. These days it would be the same starting point for the picture with the same bare backs, but one quick snap and they can go home. No paint needed, given a skilled -- but much faster -- hand in Photoshop.

Does CGI and Photoshop diminish art? It's an interesting question.

-Dave

Does CGI and Photoshop diminish art? It's an interesting question.
I work with CGI artists who teach students to do computer graphics and animation. I see their work and their students' work every day. Some of it is utterly beautiful and moving.

I think they'd say it's a different art, but definitely art, and as much art as pencil or brush.

Thanks for posting the original story blue shadow,I was sent the pic Fromm staff in the U.K.
I always enjoyed opening my computer and looking at a six pack of crack first thing in the morning.

Apparently you are not from around here. The annual Sports Illustrated "Swimsuit" issue has had hand painted swimsuits on models for years. It is the way it is done in many places. Yes, it takes hours and hours to get it right and have the completion coincide with the correct light at the photo location.

Apparently you are not from around here. The annual Sports Illustrated "Swimsuit" issue has had hand painted swimsuits on models for years. It is the way it is done in many places. Yes, it takes hours and hours to get it right and have the completion coincide with the correct light at the photo location.
Interesting. Do you have a link/reference/source for that?

Interesting. Do you have a link/reference/source for that?

Absolutely NOT. This is something you will have to take as fact or fiction and verify for yourself. You are more than capable for doing the search...enjoy.
I'm no going to back up everything I say on AK with a link/reference/source.

Absolutely NOT. This is something you will have to take as fact or fiction and verify for yourself. You are more than capable for doing the search...enjoy.
I'm no going to back up everything I say on AK with a link/reference/source.
I asked because I did do some searching. It looks like painted-on swimsuits are kind of a thing unto themselves; an artform (?) for its own sake and undoubtedly some titillation (wow! nekkid wimminz!) but not a general practice for swimsuit or other photography.

Is it?

Almost any carnivale will have painted women and men. I doubt many of them are using photoshop but most of those are for a one day party atmosphere. I don't see photoshop being a possibility for a live person having a 'painted' covering. These are two different things and once a person is painted they can be photographed and look more real than a photoshop. Not that I would be able to tell the difference.

"Back Catalog". Great shot. It's in Storm Thorgerson's book "The Gathering Storm". Page132-133. Great book of the album covers and shots he's done. Load the image on a thumb drive and put it on the new one. Have to keep it going.

Looks like they have gone from Dark Side of the Moon to Colored Side of the Moon(s).

Nice to see their back. (see what I did there).

Back
Top Bottom