Dual 1009 - Repair/restoration geeks only

Lo-Fidelity

My 1009 sk2 has always operated a little wonky. Sometimes not starting at the record edge, or not returning properly at the end of the record.

Long story short.

The problem was part 179/180 was stuck fast. This is the pin that limits tonearm motion at the start of a record for 12", 10", or 7" diameter records. The pin has to extend down for it to catch part 250, which stops the tonearm inward movement at the correct spot.

At the end of the record part 179 needs to move up to allow the tonearm to freely move back to the rest.

I hit it with a couple of drops of penetrating oil and worked with a screw driver tip. It was stuck very tight, but is now working freely.

Turntable is working flawlessly now.

Not sure if I have ever heard of this as a problem before, but it might be more common than I think.

Pin was stuck in this position
IMG_1155.JPG

Pin freed and pressed down with screwdriver tip
IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1157.jpg

Felllow on Vinyl engine said it had be previously discussed there and other forums. Of course this was after I figured it out.

Dang! I feel honored.
You should. Dual's can be a beast to work on sometimes. Have a nice list of stuff. Have a lot of things I have or used to have. Should not have sold my Fisher 500. Have a 1219 that's making me crazy. A customers. Have three of my own. The last one was an accident. Bid on it for $100 thinking no way. Won the thing. The other two live in the living room and bedroom. Currently married to Marantz and Dual turntables with JBL 100 and Decade 26 speakers. Took me years to find the right combinations on stereo systems! I started in 1963. Could have fun with your stuff! My shop has a Mac 1700. Was using that until my rebuilt 2270 got done. Again thanks for the tip. I do see 1000 series Dual's around here.

Time for a cleaning and re-lube looking at your pics: it looks there is a mix of old and new lubes and it won't be long before it goes hard or interact (chemically speaking) in a wrong way...

My opinion of course, it's your TT after all.

Time for a cleaning and re-lube looking at your pics: it looks there is a mix of old and new lubes and it won't be long before it goes hard or interact (chemically speaking) in a wrong way...

My opinion of course, it's your TT after all.

You are right of course. I have never given it the cleaning it deserves.

Oh the shame of a dirty Dual.:(

Back
Top Bottom