My Salute to the West Coast Grand daddy's of Sound

Darren James

Three examples of the work Ed May and Bart Locanthi produced during their time at the top as the head designers of their day.......

JBL 4310
Around the same time, Ed developed the compact 4310 monitor. This, and it's domestic conversion, the L100, would become the most successful loudspeakers yet produced by JBL. The 4310 was developed at the request of Bob Fine, an influential New York studio operator and engineer. Bob had just acquired a new Ampex 8-track recorder that was a significant advance on the previous, standard 3-track recorders. Bob's first thoughts in implementing this new technology was to have 8 studio monitors in the control room, or one speaker for each track

Pioneer HPM 100 / Bart Locanthi
It was under his tenure that the JBL L-100 Century, the world’s most popular loudspeaker in its day, was manufactured.[8] In 1975, he was named a Vice President of Pioneer North America Development. While at Pioneer, he and his team of engineers designed the HPM-100 loudspeaker as an "improved" JBL L-100 Century. It was also at Pioneer that he was deeply involved in digital development during the early years of the compact disc.[9]

Marantz HD88
In 1976, Edmund (Ed) May, one of the most respected speaker designers at JBL, joined Marantz and was given the charge of developing a speaker line to complement the company’s other high end offerings. Superscope built a new R&D facility for May to work in. The resulting “HD” speakers were highly praised and enhanced the brand’s reputation substantially. Unfortunately, May died in 1980 and later design efforts met with considerably less success and all efforts to design and market loudspeakers ceased.

Last edited:
West Coast Grand daddy's of Sound might be better suited for Altec. They were building hi fidelity speakers years before JBL got off the ground.

BillWojo

West Coast Grand daddy's of Sound might be better suited for Altec. They were building hi fidelity speakers years before JBL got off the ground.

BillWojo

Yes, but I got no Altec.... This is MY salute, (speakers that I own), and their relationship to each other.... It is certainly not an historical account..... I am looking for some future Altecs to come my way....

I can appreciate that but to call them the Grand daddy of west coast sound is very inaccurate.
Good luck on your quest for Altec's, very nice sounding indeed.

BillWojo

Three examples of the work Ed May and Bart Locanthi produced during their time at the top as the head designers of their day.......

JBL 4310
Around the same time, Ed developed the compact 4310 monitor. This, and it's domestic conversion, the L100, would become the most successful loudspeakers yet produced by JBL. The 4310 was developed at the request of Bob Fine, an influential New York studio operator and engineer. Bob had just acquired a new Ampex 8-track recorder that was a significant advance on the previous, standard 3-track recorders. Bob's first thoughts in implementing this new technology was to have 8 studio monitors in the control room, or one speaker for each track

Pioneer HPM 100 / Bart Locanthi
It was under his tenure that the JBL L-100 Century, the world’s most popular loudspeaker in its day, was manufactured.[8] In 1975, he was named a Vice President of Pioneer North America Development. While at Pioneer, he and his team of engineers designed the HPM-100 loudspeaker as an "improved" JBL L-100 Century. It was also at Pioneer that he was deeply involved in digital development during the early years of the compact disc.[9]

Marantz HD88
In 1976, Edmund (Ed) May, one of the most respected speaker designers at JBL, joined Marantz and was given the charge of developing a speaker line to complement the company’s other high end offerings. Superscope built a new R&D facility for May to work in. The resulting “HD” speakers were highly praised and enhanced the brand’s reputation substantially. Unfortunately, May died in 1980 and later design efforts met with considerably less success and all efforts to design and market loudspeakers ceased.

I get what your saying. Had all but the 100's but do have the 150's. My sister is using them with my SX 780. Totally gear clueless but has a great ear with good music taste and runs them daily for hours. I hope she uses them up.
Got some Altec Valencias last week. I think I like them better maybe.

As far as the west coast. it was Infinity that was the game changer imo. Nothing against JBL, but those Infinity and Dahlquist just elevated stereo reproduction. imaging and soundstage a step ahead.

JBL L100's were ok. But they are now elevated to a Super Speaker status that they do not deserve. Good for rock, but thats about it, IMO.
I've owned a couple pairs back when I smoked way too much pot.

JBL L100's were ok. But they are now elevated to a Super Speaker status that they do not deserve. Good for rock, but thats about it, IMO.
I've owned a couple pairs back when I smoked way too much pot.

I agree with you.... I bought the 4310's because they sat for sale for like 2 weeks for cheap money and I was broke, I finally borrowed and bought them. Why they sat, I think because the ad just said speakers and only if you looked closely could you see what they were. For what they are (a near field monitor), they are great. As a home listening speaker, not so much. Very clinical and precise and lack bass, so I can see how people would scratch their head as they listened to their L100's.... I am actually thinking of selling them, so someone can enjoy them. I would only keep because of their classic position.....

Regardless of it's sound signature the JBL L-100 is and will continue to be an iconic speaker worthy of owning.

Back
Top Bottom