Are Audiophiles Stoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First point - Yes, research has shown, at the very least, that those with a propensity for schizophrenia and other mental illnesses have a slightly higher rate of mental issues with chronic use, but the studies done are far from definitive. I've been following this for many years, and so far, I haven't seen anything that would cause the majority to be concerned.

For high-strung type A personalities like myself, it never gets mentioned that the herb is a great, non-addicting way to relax. When I suddenly stop smoking, I have almost NO physical manifestations. Occasionally, I'll get a headache, or be a bit testy for a day or two. That is IT.

As for smoking and cancer, awhile back, there was an FDA study whose primary goal (as if the scientific method is supposed to START with a goal or objective to prove, and then work towards that....totally ananthema to scientific method) was to show that THC causes cancer. It was to be a 5 year study.

The study abruptly quit after 1 year. Why?? The THC was actually KILLING cancer cells. Seems those who smoked ONLY cigarettes had a much higher cancer risk than those who also smoked weed. Betcha hadn't heard about THAT study??

I would not consider the $30 I spend a month for weed to be excessive. That amount of money doesn't impact much of anything. It has never effected any of my audio gear or source material purchases. If you have good weed you don't need much for it to be efficacious. Cigar/cigarette smokers spend more for their Havana's and Marlboro's than I spend on weed. Here in Phila. four packs of cigarettes cost more than my monthly weed bill.

As for what onwardjames posted about government studies, I'm aware of them. The Feds have been trying for many years to find some real harm that ingesting weed causes. Although they slant the studies and results in their favor they can't really find anything substantive. It's easy to find little niggling things wrong with anything when that's what you set out to do.

In 1988 I started working for a large multi-store audio chain and the location I was at had 3 sound rooms. One Saturday morning, a fellow showed up with a bag of CD's. We sales staff followed the "up" system and since it wasn't my turn, I didn't approach the guy. But no one else did either. I asked the the person who was on deck for this one, why he wasn't go talk to him? It was then explained that this same person shows up fairly often with a bunch of music, wants to park himself in a sound room and listen, but never buys anything.

Despite his "reputation", I felt he at least deserved acknowledgement so I went and introduced myself. His request, as I was told to expect, was wishing to listen to some of the better speakers we had. There were few customers at the time and that particular sound room was vacant so I obliged. But with the stipulation that should I or any other of the sales staff, need use of that sound room, he would cut his listening session short and resume it later once the room was vacated.

Before letting him at it, I offered a cup of coffee and he acted shocked and repulsed. He emphatically declared that caffeine affected human hearing saying "Don't you know you can never hear the true nature of an audio system after drinking coffee?" He then stated he never has coffee or tea for at least 2 hours before listening to audio components.

From then on, I avoided the guy too on his subsequent visits.

In 1988 I started working for a large multi-store audio chain and the location I was at had 3 sound rooms. One Saturday morning, a fellow showed up with a bag of CD's. We sales staff followed the "up" system and since it wasn't my turn, I didn't approach the guy. But no one else did either. I asked the the person who was on deck for this one, why he wasn't go talk to him? It was then explained that this same person shows up fairly often with a bunch of music, wants to park himself in a sound room and listen, but never buys anything.

Despite his "reputation", I felt he at least deserved acknowledgement so I went and introduced myself. His request, as I was told to expect, was wishing to listen to some of the better speakers we had. There were few customers at the time and that particular sound room was vacant so I obliged. But with the stipulation that should I or any other of the sales staff, need use of that sound room, he would cut his listening session short and resume it later once the room was vacated.

Before letting him at it, I offered a cup of coffee and he acted shocked and repulsed. He emphatically declared that caffeine affected human hearing saying "Don't you know you can never hear the true nature of an audio system after drinking coffee?" He then stated he never has coffee or tea for at least 2 hours before listening to audio components.

From then on, I avoided the guy too on his subsequent visits.
A web search on hearing and caffein gives broad and sometimes contradictory responses, but the gist is that it can and does.
Good for tinnitis, bad for Minears, and I have both. Prefer drinking low caf, occasionally enjoy hi-test but not a lot of it. One large, max

Last edited:
Well, it looks like we have a no from 427. I think most of us here can differentiate between moderate and extreme drug and alcohol use. I'm pretty sure most of us here are talking about the former.

I think it should be said also that it is rarely the drug or alcohol, it's the person that is the problem. Self medicating a mental health issue or using as an escape so as not to deal with something is usually what's going on in my experience. It could be said that waking up is finally summoning the strength to deal with one's problems head on. If using drugs or alcohol hiders this process then by all means don't use.

As for negative effects from smoking I strongly suggest not going to the dentist after smoking.
I had a tooth extracted a week ago. My dentist OK’d the use of a bong. He was interested in my use of CBD. I explained that high CBD strains of flower are rare so vape, tinctures and edibles are the usual delivery methods and that I use a disposable 4:1 vape pen.

Intensification of pain is absolutely correct. If there was any paranoia it was in anticipation of more pain. Novocain was not helpful

I find that "intensification" is true also in my case, when I smoke while "in a lot of pain". If I smoke it before the pain starts, I find that I experience less or no pain. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy from radiation treatments for cancer. If I take my medication (Gabapentin), regularly and on time, the pain is diminished, but sometimes not eliminated completely and I really have a rough time sleeping. Taking a few "hits' right before bed time, allows me to fall asleep quickly, and sleep like a rock. I always play music when trying to sleep, as it helps me relax and forget about any pain I may be experiencing, as well as taking my mind off of "negative thoughts" that would normally keep me awake. The weed causes me to concentrate on the music, much more so than when I don't have a smoke. Usually, I set the timer for 60 minutes when I get into bed, and very seldom am I awake when the timer shuts off.

Same here in the Midwest, but different radio stations. Took 3 papers to make 1, loaded it down, twisted it up, and applied a sulfur preparation to one end. I just loved having marathon listening sessions with my friends back then. Yes I miss those days, (after all, it WAS the 70's).
Back in the 70s we all were! Nothing better than a good smoke and a cold beer afterwards while listening to stations like KMET KLOS KWEST and KROQ when I lived in Arcadia. Those were the days!

@Pio1980 I hadn't heard about caffeine in relation to tinnitus. I have tried to avoid caffeine, due to my naturally high strung ways (he says, as he has another glass of Milo's Tea, containing caffeine, and flips "Tubular Bells" onto side 2)

It's a nice pre-fall morning here in Ky. Rain is misting down ever so slightly. I'm gonna try and get over the sleep coma I was in last night due to half an edible cookie. Best sleep I've gotten all week. Off to brew a pot of coffee.....

• Smiling, life's good, really good. Roy Orbison on the box, and reading about stoners and music. I live in southern Oregon, Cannibis is legal here, " now" Im also a retired Police Officer, and I've been growing cannibus, for roughly ten years, here. In fact I'm roughly 30 days out from harvest, big ol plants 10/12 ft tall, hanging heavy with some seriously huge buds.
I don't smoke, but I do use tinctures for cronic pain, as stated by others smoking makes me paranoid, and I don't like to not be in control of my mind. I'm also a 100% disabled vet. My PTSP comes from combat events in the Philippine Islands in the late 70s. Most are unaware of the early radical Muslim events there, for years, out on some of the fringe islands.

I've had a medical card for many years. Like I said I don't smoke. In fact I give it all away to other combat vets, and those who have legit medical needs, I estimate I gave away 23/24 pounds last year.

Use to really be into the biology of growing, all natural, PHing every drop of water, fish Ferds , Bokashi, for growth.

Past couple years I plant and water, once every three days, nothing else. It's simple, and the bud is very very good, I'm told. I'm easily amused, the names these retards name their plants truly amuses me. Berry White, AlaskanThunder ****, diesel dumb ****, purple puss.

I've also invested many thousands in cannibis farms, which are currently yielding my highest portfolio returns. Very nice.

Moral of the story is this. If your in Oregon and need some meds, and have a legit need, hit me up, I'm happy to gift you an Oregon ounce.

Dirk

I've always considered myself an "audio enthusiast," as I'm not someone who is going to drop $5K on a 1% improvement; nor will i listen so closely that it ruins the experience.
I understand the first part of your statement, but I just can't comprehend the second half. :idea:

@Dirk Willims First, great story, and thanks for sharing.

Also, Alaskan Thunderfuck, along with White Widow, are my 2 favorite strains I've experienced more than once.

I did have some of the legendary G-13, once. Ridiculously potent, and wonderful.

To all those who have guerilla grown, legally grown, whatever - Isn't that the most incredible feeling, to harvest that which you have bestowed time and love into?? I think it might be something primitive, linked back to the switch from hunter/gatherer to agrarian.

I'm not saying I've sneaked into my folks' woods and stuck something in the soil, cared for it, fed it molasses, and then harvested it for consumption. Lord, no.

Then how do you explain my also-vast cd and album collection, and some of the fine gear I have?? Also, I've never made more than 31k a year.

And "wast (s.i.c.) the money they need for drugs" ?? I've never considered my consumption a waste in the slightest, nor a necessity. Consider it audio steak sauce.

While he was talking about a far more sinister drug, Layne Stayley said it best -

"What's my drug of choice? Well, what have you got? I don't go broke. And I do it alot."

Addiction seems to be a pre-wired response for some. Just MHO.

It became legal for recreational use here in Las Vegas on 1/1/17. I got hired at a cultivation facility before the legalization and I'm now working at a different facility. I'm in charge of the "flowering" plants, the buds, and I have my hands on plants all day. I've been lucky and feel like I'm living a dream everyday. It's great enjoying high-quality cannabis while listening to high-fidelity stereo gear after a hard days work. For me, they go hand-in-hand and always have. I'm just as much of a weed nerd as I am a stereo nerd. I occasionally drink craft beer and whiskey also. There's a balance to everything...one doesn't have to be a "stoner" to enjoy fine cannabis.

The amount of tax money for the school system and road/highway restoration projects that comes directly from legal cannabis sales is insane. I won't get into the politics, but now that it's allowed proper studies, they're finding out all kinds of new ways that can help people (and animals). I started giving my 17 year old dog CBD oil (from my dog food store) and now I give it to my 9 year old German Shepherd as well. It helps my old dog from anxiously pacing around the house all day. Rick Simpson Oil is also something that needs to be studied deeper.

To be honest, I feel like more of an "addict" chasing better audio reproduction / gear. The itch always comes around, no matter how content you are with your current setup, to try something new. It's also fun to just get stoned and enjoy what you've already got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom