Are Audiophiles Stoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the stigma of it is so engrained, it just seems taboo (having teenage kids provided that also). I’ve also been battling cancer for 2 years and at one point 1 1/2 years ago on a ski trip (30 year skier) I purchased some at a dispensary. Thought it may help with chemo side effects. Those couple joints I purchased 1 1/2 years ago are still hidden away in the garage untouched...... did I mention stigma? Yeeesh

Gotta keep it in the fridge or it looses potency. Even then it looses potency over time.

They used to tell stories at the commune of a lady who would leave it in her car to keep it from her kids (and cook in the heat), then complain that it was ineffective. :dunno:

Last edited:
I would not consider the $30 I spend a month for weed to be excessive. That amount of money doesn't impact much of anything. It has never effected any of my audio gear or source material purchases. If you have good weed you don't need much for it to be efficacious. Cigar/cigarette smokers spend more for their Havana's and Marlboro's than I spend on weed. Here in Phila. four packs of cigarettes cost more than my monthly weed bill.

$250/mo delivered and that's the best price in the area. I don't consider that to be excessive, and I'm pretty much retired. To each his own.

Oh, and though it is medical, California Law expressly prohibits it from being a medical tax write-off.

@Dirk Willims First, great story, and thanks for sharing.

Also, Alaskan Thunderfuck, along with White Widow, are my 2 favorite strains I've experienced more than once.

I did have some of the legendary G-13, once. Ridiculously potent, and wonderful.

To all those who have guerilla grown, legally grown, whatever - Isn't that the most incredible feeling, to harvest that which you have bestowed time and love into?? I think it might be something primitive, linked back to the switch from hunter/gatherer to agrarian.

I'm not saying I've sneaked into my folks' woods and stuck something in the soil, cared for it, fed it molasses, and then harvested it for consumption. Lord, no.
I remember how pissed my dad was when my cousin planted my grandma's flower garden in the 1960s.

I remember how pissed my dad was when my cousin planted my grandma's flower garden in the 1960s.

I remember how pissed my father-in-law was when the neighbor teenagers took my plants just before harvest. We were recently married (1981) and my new in-laws were visting from Denver. I didn't even know that he knew that they were back there or what they were. :rockon:

I would expect a stoner not to care about the quality of sound when high.

If I am defined as a "stoner" because I use cannabis every night (and I don't consider myself a stoner, as that tends to have a pejorative connotation) then I kindly say this to you, mikeybc - I am extremely concerned about the quality of sound when I imbibe, just as I am when I am not.

I've heard out of phase issues, corner nodes, weird things in the mix, all while high. And I corrected accordingly.

For me, and your results may vary, everything I like about sound/music, I enjoy fully, and perhaps a bit more, when high.

Having been diagnosed with glaucoma some 30+ years there's no doubt I would qualify for "medicinal" mariwhana. No thanks; I'll take my eye drops, pills and salves pretty much what ever it takes to avoid that shit. I would do it no doubt if it was my very last resort; blindness or weed and hopefully it never comes to that as I do not want to be anything like the mindless "stoners" I'm forced to work with every single day.

$250/mo delivered and that's the best price in the area. I don't consider that to be excessive, and I'm pretty much retired. To each his own.

Oh, and though it is medical, California Law expressly prohibits it from being a medical tax write-off.

As a Cancer survivor, I breathe through a hole in my neck. For me, smoking anything is like using a supercharger. Two or three hits is enough for the effect I want. A nice doob lasts me two or three days. I spend more for beer than weed.

Smoking weed has always made me want to listen to music.

Having been diagnosed with glaucoma some 30+ years there's no doubt I would qualify for "medicinal" mariwhana. No thanks; I'll take my eye drops, pills and salves pretty much what ever it takes to avoid that shit. I would do it no doubt if it was my very last resort; blindness or weed and hopefully it never comes to that as I do not want to be anything like the mindless "stoners" I'm forced to work with every single day.

Maybe you should work elsewhere.:D
I have been smoking since I was 17 (turned 71 on Friday). During that time I managed to acquire a BS and an MS. I'm not mindless. You don't have to be a stoner to qualify as mindless. In fact, IME most of those mindless ones don't even drink let alone smoke weed.

Last edited:
Self medicating a mental health issue or using as an escape so as not to deal with something is usually what's going on in my experience.
Correct, that's what all self medication is doing, it's escapism form life it's self. It doesn't matter the amount one uses to escape it's purely the fact they feel the need to do so.

It's also a learned behavior as many that do use started at a young age and then normally they surround themselves with the same type of people, or even the opposite end the Co-Dependent who has entirely other issues. They need that support to justify their own usage and to feel normal.

I think most of us here can differentiate between moderate and extreme drug and alcohol use. I'm pretty sure most of us here are talking about the former.
Self medicating is self medicating in any amount, to say otherwise is not wanting to come to terms with that, and pure individual justification for ones own actions. Kind of like the guy that will drink a good size bottle a day and say I'm not an alcoholic, I go to work everyday and pay my bills.

If one can't live life on life's terms and they say they use drugs to relax, to enjoy something better, well they are just medicating for a reason.

However they will justify it till one day they might wake up
Any argument other than the medication is for an illness is this justification at play.

I'm not "self medicating". I take enough real medicine on a daily basis. I simply like the effect I get from smoking.

Some of you are very Puritan in your attitudes. It's OK to drink and smoke tobacco but not smoke weed. Weed has far fewer side effects. It doesn't cause Cancer or cirrhosis of the liver. What's the problem with weed?

Used to get stoned through college and playing with a rock band. Graduated Cum Lauda with a 3.28 GPA in Environmental Biology with required classes in physics, inorganic and organic chemistry, and math. (Required a lot of memorization.)

Went to work for an engineering firm in a professional environment out of college. In 1994 I built my own business as a professional scientist and have worked with many professionals who partake. Not everyone who smokes is a mindless looser.

This is the nitche that I've carved out for myself. I compete with the largest firms in the area.

https://www.cityoffullerton.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=8813

https://www.cityoffullerton.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=8815

Last edited:

Stereo-type much? ;)

I'm not "self medicating". I simply like the effect I get from smoking.
Why do you like the effects?
If it has an effect it's medicating, and your doing it for a reason, plan and simple.

Personally I don't care what others do as long as it doesn't effect my life. But it's nice when people are honest, at least with themselves.

Justification, validation and denial doesn't change the facts of what drugs do.

I'm not "self medicating". I take enough real medicine on a daily basis.

I thought one of your first post you where stating you smoke for medical reasons? But here you say you don't need it for that reason, you just like being stoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom