Are Audiophiles Stoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, that's what all self medication is doing, it's escapism form life it's self. It doesn't matter the amount one uses to escape it's purely the fact they feel the need to do so.

While that kind of escapism may be what's going on for some, I think the opposite is going on for the vast majority of pot smokers. And those who are seeking escapism, are not, as you said escaping "life itself," they are escaping an unpleasant experience. Changing our consciousness is a huge part of "life itself," and we all do it, whenever we sleep, or listen to music, or walk in the woods, or have sex. Most people smoke weed because it is pleasurable, and the side effects are almost non-existant. (apart from the social stigma)

I am reminded of something Micheal Pollan talks about in his newest book about psychedelics, (which is great by the way) which is the idea of "betterment of the well." This is basically the idea that these substances, specifically psychedelic plants, but I think this can include marijuana, have the potential to help not only those suffering from things like depression or addiction, but those considered "well." They can open up understandings within us about what it means to be alive and what it means to die. This is important stuff.

This is not escapism. This is getting into what life is all about.

While that kind of escapism may be what's going on for some, I think the opposite is going on for the vast majority of pot smokers. And those who are seeking escapism, are not, as you said escaping "life itself," they are escaping an unpleasant experience. Changing our consciousness is a huge part of "life itself," and we all do it, whenever we sleep, or listen to music, or walk in the woods, or have sex. Most people smoke weed because it is pleasurable, and the side effects are almost non-existant. (apart from the social stigma)

I am reminded of something Micheal Pollan talks about in his newest book about psychedelics, (which is great by the way) which is the idea of "betterment of the well." This is basically the idea that these substances, specifically psychedelic plants, but I think this can include marijuana, have the potential to help not only those suffering from things like depression or addiction, but those considered "well." They can open up understandings within us about what it means to be alive and what it means to die. This is important stuff.

, that’s much nicer than the post I just deleted about trying to discuss these things with recovered people.

There is a difference between getting stoned and getting a buzz. A buzz is sort of like the mellow feeling alcohol gives when used in moderation. Being stoned is IMO pretty much like being drunk. No one with any sense likes being drunk. The same applies to weed.

I ask again, what's the problem with weed?

Why isn't drinking considered to be "self medication"?

There is a difference between getting stoned and getting a buzz. A buzz is sort of like the mellow feeling alcohol gives when used in moderation. Being stoned is IMO pretty much like being drunk. No one with any sense likes being drunk. The same applies to weed.

Why isn't drinking considered to be "self medication"?

Interesting what’s the difference between buzzed and stoned...?
Does it take two tokes to be over the line?

Smoke often enough and there really isn’t a “stoned” state no more.

Ben

Nothing is wrong with Weed, Alcohol, Acid, Heroin, Coke, Speed and all other drugs.

All I have done is point out the behavior of a user and reason people use drugs. Put it this way, I'm an expert at the justification in using while using, the denial and the need for support and validation a user seeks out, I can see it in others that's all. There is a saying Joe, you can't see your ears but I can.

I know a lot of people who read this thread that have been on both sides of the fence and that are sober are laughing at some of the comments here. There not really laughing at anyone in particular, just the behavior and the relief they are no longer of that mind set.

I have been a huge user of all the above drugs. So don't look at me as some goody two shoes who has't lived life or even know what I'm talking about. I have a degree in the school of hard knocks and I think the life I have lived would make a lot on this site doing what they do look like a kid playing door bell ditch.

The thing is I have changed that behavior and I have lived both sides. You know like when we ask people on this site how can they judge any equipment when they have never had any hands on.....been there done that.

Mikeybc, and you,would be wrong. Agree that the correlation between a buzz and wonderfully produced music is one of life's rhythms. Like pizza and beer, or bacon and eggs, except this pleasure is sensory related.

Last summer my wife and me, and others went to see Eric Burden and the animals, in south Lake Tahoe. I happened to be out of my pain management pills. So my wife made cannibis cookies. I'd never seen Eric in concert, I've attended hundreds of shows in my 62 years.

The dude tore it up. I laughed, I cried, I rocked and rolled. My friends became concerned as I listened to," Sky pilot" and cried like a baby. They all asked me what was wrong. And all I could say was " ain't nothing wrong, no idea why I'm crying, all while wearing a huge shit eating grin.

We were front row center. After the show, as we were leaving, one of the band members came to the edge of the stage, and asked if was alright. Still wearing my shit eating grin, I told him everything was fantastic, I just didn't expect this quality of show, the band member said wait a minute, walked over and came back,with his drum sticks, signed and dated them and gifted them to me.

Pretty cool. I've since given the sticks to my 10 year old grand son who's into classic rock. I've built him a vintage system, but that's another story.

Dirk.

You don't need drugs for "Well" and "Enlightenment" and that kind of comment generally comes from a user to justify their use.

One just needs to be able to sit with themselves, and like it.

If one can't live life on life's terms and they say they use drugs to relax, to enjoy something better, well they are just medicating for a reason.

Because they can't sit with themselves and like it.

Nothing is wrong with Weed, Alcohol, Acid, Heroin, Coke, Speed and all other drugs.

All I have done is point out the behavior of a user and reason people use drugs. Put it this way, I'm an expert at the justification in using while using, the denial and the need for support and validation a user seeks out, I can see it in others that's all. There is a saying Joe, you can't see your ears but I can.

I know a lot of people who read this thread that have been on both sides of the fence and that are sober are laughing at some of the comments here. There not really laughing at anyone in particular, just the behavior and the relief they are no longer of that mind set.

I have been a huge user of all the above drugs. So don't look at me as some goody two shoes who has't lived life or even know what I'm talking about. I have a degree in the school of hard knocks and I think the life I have lived would make a lot on this site doing what they do look like a kid playing door bell ditch.

The thing is I have changed that behavior and I have lived both sides. You know like when we ask people on this site how can they judge any equipment when they have never had any hands on.....been there done that.

Glad your able to do life how you need to. A lot can’t.

:beerchug:

It became legal for recreational use here in Las Vegas on 1/1/17. I got hired at a cultivation facility before the legalization and I'm now working at a different facility. I'm in charge of the "flowering" plants, the buds, and I have my hands on plants all day. I've been lucky and feel like I'm living a dream everyday. It's great enjoying high-quality cannabis while listening to high-fidelity stereo gear after a hard days work. For me, they go hand-in-hand and always have. I'm just as much of a weed nerd as I am a stereo nerd. I occasionally drink craft beer and whiskey also. There's a balance to everything...one doesn't have to be a "stoner" to enjoy fine cannabis.

The amount of tax money for the school system and road/highway restoration projects that comes directly from legal cannabis sales is insane. I won't get into the politics, but now that it's allowed proper studies, they're finding out all kinds of new ways that can help people (and animals). I started giving my 17 year old dog CBD oil (from my dog food store) and now I give it to my 9 year old German Shepherd as well. It helps my old dog from anxiously pacing around the house all day. Rick Simpson Oil is also something that needs to be studied deeper.

To be honest, I feel like more of an "addict" chasing better audio reproduction / gear. The itch always comes around, no matter how content you are with your current setup, to try something new. It's also fun to just get stoned and enjoy what you've already got.

Great story, I'm smiling, my old dogs are gone now, but my two,cats love to lay out under a few plants, on their back feet up, watching the awesome clouds float by. I've not,caught them eating any, but I would not be surprised. They both do this every year, especially while the plants are flowering.

One of my strains I've come back to is," Big Bud" last year I had buds in the 20 to 25 inch length, and 4/5 inchs in diameter. An amazing thing, to see, and realize I grew this with my own two hands. These monster buds are given to my friends, and I try and make sure I rotate thru, so everybody gets one of these monster buds.

Makes them feel special.

And I just discovered two UN manicured large garbage bags full, in the garage. I'm only doing four plants next season, I'm gonna push them hard NPK wise, I want an 18 ft plant, just so I can say I did it, document it with pics.

Dirk

You can only judge yourself. Don't judge someone else until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

I've experienced the other side. Through two marriages and one son (now 29) I didn't even drink beer. I used weed to help me through the bad times with the chemo and radiation therapy. However, I would have smoked it anyway. I was divorced and retired then and now and didn't/don't have to answer to anyone for anything. If I posted I have a couple (2) of shots of some single malt daily I wonder what your response would be.

Ben

That's what I said way back. It just becomes your regular "state of mind" and you function.

, that’s much nicer than the post I just deleted about trying to discuss these things with recovered people.
What are you afraid of?
I find it funny you used the word "Recovered", if your going to discuss these things, do you not want to hear both sides? Or do you want.

. Put it this way, I'm an expert at the justification in using while using, the denial and the need for support and validation a user seeks out, I can see it in others that's all.

Anyway back to

re·cov·er
riˈkəvər/
verb
past tense: recovered; past participle: recovered
  1. 1.
    return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.
    "Neil is still recovering from shock"
    synonyms: recuperate, get better, convalesce, regain one's strength, get stronger, get back on one's feet;
    be on the mend, be on the road to recovery, pick up, rally, respond to treatment, improve, heal, pull through,bounce back
    "he's recovering from a heart attack"

2. 2.
    find or regain possession of (something stolen or lost).
    "police recovered a stolen video"
    synonyms: retrieve, regain (possession of), get back,recoup, reclaim, repossess, redeem,recuperate, find (again), track down
    "the stolen material has been recovered"
    salvage, save, rescue, retrieve
    "gold coins recovered from a wreck"
I would find it odd that one would want to avoid anything to do with recover, recovery, and being recovered.

Ben
:p

I occasionally get a spontaneous natural high, sometimes I can trigger a mind buzz. I don't think this would sub for active pain management, but haven't had to find out. Acetominophen and Ibuprophen have handled it better than Tramadol, which btw gives me a nice buzz and aleviates anxiety. One Tramadol is sufficient, two is too much, and any messes with my sleep, so I avoid it except for leg cramps on long flights.

427, concur, was raised in Roseville, spent a lot of time in the city at the park, Zeppelin at kizar stadium, winterland, at the Stockton riots in 74 with Canned Heat, 10 years after. 69 thru 74 were wild times, informative times, growing times for me. We've all grown up, we better understand our needs, our wants, and most importantly our limitations.

Sadly their are many here who were their and for whatever reason won't admit it, at 62 I'm back to embracing the things I ve enjoyed thru life. I have invested my money well and saved for forty years, and can now do, what I want to a do pretty much. I live completely sober and clean for roughly 30 years those being my career years.

Many of my childhood friends didn't make it. I often wonder how the hell IM still here, I've been shot, stabbed, run over and beaten badly. My son tells me, " life's good dad, ride it, like you,stole it" and I agree. When I die, I'll have rang every inch I could of, out of this old body of mine.

Great posts.427

Dirk

You know, it's all about balance. What is wrong with taking an hour or two every couple of weeks to get a little loopy and relax? I say there is nothing wrong with it if someone is dealing with life and taking care of what needs to be taken care of. Everyone needs to escape from all of the little (and big) problems from time to time or they will eat you up. An occasional drink or bong hit before a listening session isn't a problem.

I said before that most of us can make a distinction between moderate use and abuse. If some of you cannot make that distinction then I'm sorry and staying away from certain substances is probably best for you. The fact remains that most people are capable of controlling themselves and won't abuse weed or alcohol. If a moderate user is using it to escape who cares? We all use something to escape from time to time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom