Chinese fake Accuphase A-65

No, but some play more by the rules than others.
The US will at least make an attempt to go after counterfeiters; maybe I'm wrong but I haven't ever seen anything where China has.
The US dollar floats in the currency exchange; the Yen may finally be doing that a bit but for years it was just tied to the dollar to keep us from ever getting in a position where a strong Yen meant more trade would flow in the other direction.
Most countries don't have their government own so much of the businesses; in most countries the government doesn't subsidies the companies to the point where they can sell at a loss on purpose to crush the competition. Granted in the US we just do that with stock investment by the public that allows companies like Amazon to spend years losing money while doing whatever they needed to crush other businesses.

These are all smart moves on China's part for their own interest but that doesn't make them right.

Chinese currency is the Yuan I believe.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Although he changed the subject, I'm guessing that he was talking about Japan's use of its currency.

Although he changed the subject, I'm guessing that he was talking about Japan's use of its currency.

No I don't believe so. The Chinese did not let their currency float in the international market like it should have. Japan has not done this that I am aware of, perhaps when it was in its occupation and reconstruction period after WW II, but i don't remember hearing of it. The Chinese have done this in this current century.

Currently Chinese fiscal policy lets the Yuan float more than it has in the past, and its semi repsonisve to the market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ke-floating-currency-nowadays-fed-study-shows

This discusses the effects and benefits of the Yuan being pegged.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/030616/why-chinese-yuan-pegged.asp

Cheers
Mister Pig

I suspect in the end Chinese quality will come down to brand development.

When Japanese, and later Korean goods were sold under no-name, bottom of the line marques, or rebadged for third-parties, there was no reputation play, so quality stagnated. The product is crap, but the consumer blames the name on the box, not the actual contractor who made it. Same story with Chinese goods, with the added side of things like the Accuphake.

Once Sony and Samsung were trading on their own names, they had something to lose if their line was full of lemons. China will eventually get there, but it requires rising up the value chain a little, to a level where people will pay for a brand. Does China have any global premium brands? Xiaomi and Lenovo seem closest.

I suspect brand bootstrapping might also benefit from being able to get in early on an industry shift, which dislodges old brands or offers something so compelling that people are willing to try a new brand. Japan's electronics industry rose on solid state TV and audio, while Korea's did well om flat panel TVs and cellphones.

All that said, I see no reason that a Chinese firm couldn't crack open a some 50-watt silver face reciever, engineer a clone with modern component swaps, and sell it for $250-- might be a good way to bootstrap a brand because there is no direct competition, and it would be easy to demonstrate quality.

Absolutely. This.
Does China have any global premium brands? Xiaomi and Lenovo seem closest.
Those, and Huawei.

Huawei has been known in the computer networking community for years for making industrial routers and whatnot, but they also make mobile phones. I bought one when I dropped and broke my old "Moto G" Motorola smart phone because it was the cheapest new smartphone available. I didn't expect much.

Turns out it's excellent. Superb build quality and performance for not much money. It came bundled with a free tablet. The salesguy said, "it comes with a tablet, but you probably won't want it."

I expected even less, given the tablet retails for £80. Turns out it's also great; again, excellent build quality, excellent performance, bargain price.

Huawei is currently ranked 3rd in worldwide mobile phone sales volume, after Samsung and Apple.

If you think fake amplifiers are bad, have you seen fake eggs? Or fake lettuce?

Edit: It seems the "fake eggs" are an urban legend. Carry on...

Last edited:
If you think fake amplifiers are bad, have you seen fake eggs?
I don't see anything to suggest that it's necessarily "fake" eggs from China. The video could be showing manufacture of confection or candy designed to have an egg-like appearance -- in any country.

I don't see anything to suggest that it's necessarily "fake" eggs from China. The video could be showing manufacture of confection or candy designed to have an egg-like appearance -- in any country.

Sorry, I think you are right. I dug a little deeper, and it seems it's an urban legend. My bad. I'll remove the video if I can.

19b.jpg

When Japanese, and later Korean goods were sold under no-name, bottom of the line marques, or rebadged for third-parties, there was no reputation play, so quality stagnated. The product is crap, but the consumer blames the name on the box, not the actual contractor who made it. Same story with Chinese goods, with the added side of things like the Accuphake.

Once Sony and Samsung were trading on their own names, they had something to lose if their line was full of lemons. China will eventually get there, but it requires rising up the value chain a little, to a level where people will pay for a brand. Does China have any global premium brands? Xiaomi and Lenovo seem closest.

I suspect brand bootstrapping might also benefit from being able to get in early on an industry shift, which dislodges old brands or offers something so compelling that people are willing to try a new brand. Japan's electronics industry rose on solid state TV and audio, while Korea's did well om flat panel TVs and cellphones.

All that said, I see no reason that a Chinese firm couldn't crack open a some 50-watt silver face reciever, engineer a clone with modern component swaps, and sell it for $250-- might be a good way to bootstrap a brand because there is no direct competition, and it would be easy to demonstrate quality.

Chinese are very capable. Chinese consumer culture is less than 50 years old so they simply do not have the experience that westerners have. Here is an example of an amp that was reverse engineered with excellent results.

vpi-amp299d.jpg

According to VPI, it was a homage to the HH Scott 299D / LK72B. By all reviews, the sound is excellent and yet the amp still looks Chinese. If they can figure out how to make an amp with timeless beauty, they will dominate.

to test equipment like Hickok's 1805A clone of Tektronix's 545A oscilloscope. The latter was at the request of the US government, so one can hardly castigate second-rate Chinese manufacturers

Is that really true? The US government asked a Chinese company to copy a US made and designed product? That's terrible if it is true.

According to VPI, it was a homage to the HH Scott 299D / LK72B.

'homage' is a weasel word...

Is that really true? The US government asked a Chinese company to copy a US made and designed product? That's terrible if it is true.
It's really true, except for Hickok being a Chinese company. My examples were of industrial copying in general, not just Chinese copying.

Hickok was, and still is, an American company.

The US government contracted Hickok, Lavoie Laboratories, and Jetronic Industries Inc. -- all American -- to make copies of Tektronix test equipment under military contract, because the US Government apparently thought Tektronix's prices were too high.

As a result, Tektronix sued the US Government and Hickok in 1961. It wasn't settled until 1979. The winner was notionally Tektronix, but the real winners were the lawyers.

See https://vintagetek.org/clone-scopes/ and http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Hickok

Ah, no. The expression being "I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole", touching the pole is fine. Provided the bargepole doesn't touch the item in question...

...'homage' is a weasel word...

Misused in this context for sure. There is nothing honorable or respectable about making a rep.

And yet, the Chinese can copy a watch so well that the on-line authenticators over at a watch forum I belong to cannot tell from pictures alone. The gurus say that clone movements have double digit defect rate. They also say that if they wanted to make a quality movement, they could but so far no maker has emerged with this level of commitment.

Here is something I got from the auction site. (The best 1:1 reps are not available there for obvious reasons.) This one is not a good homage by any means but it is very accurate and it is well finished. Whether it is a quality piece, only time will tell, pun intended. Whatever you say about IP is deserved and true but you have to marvel at what they can do for the price.

FYCE5iF.jpg

Meh, so many genuine watches bought locally and supposedly made in Switzerland don't even manage accurate time. Admittedly not expensive though it makes the Chinese stuff seem ok. So much gear from all over the world is simply sub standard that they don't have to lift their game .

That said, love my darTZeel NHB-108B copy Sounds spectacular :)

Back
Top Bottom