Are Audiophiles Stoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, but it’s a gateway drug ;)

i get your wink
i dont believe weed to be the gateway
the gateway is the guy who sells you something you weren't looking for
in more and more places you never have to meet that guy

Does keeping (certain) narcotics illegal -- whilst paradoxically (and hypocritically) keeping alcohol and caffeine legal -- solve the problem of people abusing and becoming addicted to drugs?
Interesting how the cultures that jump up and down about "illegal" drugs on the one hand quite happily over-medicate their people (and children) on the other hand with large doses of prescription versions of the same thing - ie: speed and opiates. And yet this version (which benefits big pharma by billions per annum) is somehow more "socially acceptable."

The hypocrisy of the drug double-standard never ceases to amaze me. What really troubles me is that the attitude perpetuated in countries like the US trickles down to be forced on the rest of the world via international treaties.

i dont believe weed to be the gateway
I agree. I think the whole "gateway" concept is one perpetuated by law enforcement to fear monger. The assumption is totally baseless, I bet there is no real data to support it except for maybe surveying people who happened to do more than one drug?

There are a couple of drugs that lead to a slippery slope - like heroin, opiates in general & meth. But surely the prevalence and easy accessibility of prescription drugs are more likely to create dependence than relying on underground, not pharma-grade, drugs

Last edited:
So by legalizing a drug and in turn present it as no big deal and socially accepted we only add to the population that will use drugs. The funny thing about drugs is they are used to cope with life, to escape it.
I guess by now you will know I have opposing views.

There is a flip side to the argument that making drugs legal will increase usage. This isnt borne out by some data in areas where drugs have been made legal. In fact one big reason why people use drugs is the sheer thrill of doing something illegal. Its something that got me into them in my younger days. Remove that thrill and its just another legal drug.

Another assumption to challenge is that "users" have a "problem" or "dependence". This isnt always true and the fact that media/ law enforcement clump all drug users into this category is I think a mechanism to further demonise drugs. There are plenty of people who have dabbled, enjoyed them, stopped using them, or still partake now and then. Bill Hicks famously had a skit about doing drugs: "Never killed anyone, never raped anyone, laughed my ass off..." Its another generalisation to be sure, but it does go some way to counter much of the anti-propaganda that is out there which fuels a multi-billion dollar enforcement lobby.

I'm gonna stop commenting now I think......

Last edited:
I'll be honest,even though I enjoy the occasional puff or two ,when the vote came up for the legalization of pot in Colorado I voted against it.I just don't think it was necessary to legalize it.Now that it is said and done I see a lot of the negative that came along with it.The small town I grew up in is full of bums that came either to get legal pot or thinking they can get a kid in the industry.In my town now homelessness and all the negatives that come with it are bad.Way worse than before and that's not even the opioid crisis.

I agree. I think the whole "gateway" concept is one perpetuated by law enforcement to fear monger. The assumption is totally baseless, I bet there is no real data to support it except for maybe surveying people who happened to do more than one drug.

Not totally baseless.

We don't need data to prove something is real. Science is a belief system, a sub-branch of philosophy.

No problem--that was actually my intent in the first place. I know those sorts and yes, they were idiots before they ever got drunk or stoned. I remember an old Robin Williams stand-up routine regarding cocaine--and this is a loose paraphrase, but the question was "why do you do cocaine?"--"because it intensifies your personality"--"but what if you are an asshole to start with?"

I think that was Bill Cosby in "Himself" from 1980.

I'll be honest,even though I enjoy the occasional puff or two ,when the vote came up for the legalization of pot in Colorado I voted against it.I just don't think it was necessary to legalize it.Now that it is said and done I see a lot of the negative that came along with it.The small town I grew up in is full of bums that came either to get legal pot or thinking they can get a kid in the industry.In my town now homelessness and all the negatives that come with it are bad.Way worse than before and that's not even the opioid crisis.

Hey Superdog, how are ya! Perhaps the negatives you're experiencing are due to people seeking a place of refuge for enjoying a plant?? Wouldn't explain away all the riffraff, but maybe some??
Anyway, I think this will settle down some once legalization takes hold, and perhaps SOME of that homelessness is due in part to incessant "wars" that leave men (and some women, but still mostly men) shattered. Isn't something like 80% of homeless men, and a goodly percentage are vets??

@BigElCat you do realize that Merle Haggard was telling his father's point of view in that song, right?? I figure you do, but wanted to make sure others did as well. At least that's what the Drive By Truckers opined about that American classic.

The truth about Merle Haggard is something people could research for themselves. He was not an Okie From Muskogee.

You should read about Jerry Lee Lewis's latter days. Wow !

Having been diagnosed with glaucoma some 30+ years there's no doubt I would qualify for "medicinal" mariwhana. No thanks; I'll take my eye drops, pills and salves pretty much what ever it takes to avoid that shit. I would do it no doubt if it was my very last resort; blindness or weed and hopefully it never comes to that as I do not want to be anything like the mindless "stoners" I'm forced to work with every single day.

Motorstereo:

Before I was smoking my numbers were 21/20. You have glaucoma so you know what this means. Prior to this no one had ever diagnosed me with glaucoma using the old puff test.

I hadn't smoked in years. A business associate turned me on and my numbers went down to 11/10 smoking pot for a week.

Over time things have crept up. Without it for a day, my numbers are ~25 and 19-20 with it. This is with the continued use of Lantanaprost in either case.

Maybe food for thought?

Last edited:
Merle was from Bakersfield, Ca.

Operant word here is "bake".
Kevin Smith was joking about his movie sets.

He said there was a security code for 'another dead hooker in Affleck's trailer'.

Our wholesome country singers were just about like that. Call another girl, clean up the mess.

Please note, I am very hesitant about posting this.

On Oct 1st it will be one year not smoking cannabis. I have never been more reclusive and depressed than I am right now.

When the wife died 6 years ago I was smoking an oz. of high quality weed every 3 months for 5 years. I had no pain in my joints, looked forward to the next day and opportunities that it presented. Now I just sit around doing nothing most of the time, rarely listening to my very nice stereo. It took me 4 days to unbox and shorten the cueing lever for the new dust cover for the VPI that arrived last week. Cannot even work up enough motivation to wash my new truck. At the end of the workday my feet and knees ache, sometimes painfully. The social implications are still strong here in the Midwest. I think I will go back to smoking, can't be any worse than the life I am living now.

Shout to 91r100gs.

Wondered why you didn't share much, bro. Sorry about the missus.

We'll have to meet up sometime.

I went for 10 years straight without smoking the jah. Still pretty much don't.

I'm past 8 years without drinking alcohol. Basically, I can't ever drink again, because i can't stop once I start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom