how to isolate my turntable. (more)

caferacer59

what works??, I have a dual 1218 that i just bought and it functions perfectly. I have my speakers up on those cork and rubber pads you can buy. And I live in a very old house with 120 year old wood floors and when i play my music moderately it seems like the turntable picks up the projected music and sends it back through the stylus ( I guess). Also, I essentially can't have anyone walk within 20 feet of the turntable or it will skip. If we all sit perfectly still and play the record quietly all sounds great. does kind a kill the cocktail party when no ones allowed to move and if ya set yer Manhattan down on the table to fast you cause a needle jump. Argghhhh!

The stereo is on a wood legged side board type table (and that is not going to change.) Perhaps I put the whole rig on a runner with carpet pad below.

I have a reel to reel, so I think maybe the turntable is for me when i am alone, everybody can play twister and leap frog to their hearts content when that things running. but damn tape is expensive.

Unfortunately my wife would not go for that and I agree, the available positioning is not good, and although it could be over come, its very old crumbly plaster walls (sometimes when I put anchors in to them the hole becomes huge), and the area in question have cool old pocket doors that slide in behind that plaster.

When a couple come to an agreement that the stereo belongs >here<, and nowhere else, there may not be a solution to the problem.

Sorbothane hemispheres are effective, but may not be enough.

When a couple come to an agreement that the stereo belongs >here<, and nowhere else, there may not be a solution to the.
Lol! And also, who came 1st the wife or the stereo. The stereo called 'dibs' and my loving wife has worked around it.
Like I say, I married good this time!

We used to have a very old house with floors like you describe. I cut a piece of furniture grade plywood a little bigger than the tableout, stained it, and put eye hooks on the corners and ceiling and suspended the shelf with nice rope. You could jump around as hard as you could and no reaction on the table.

Unfortunately my wife would not go for that and I agree, the available positioning is not good, and although it could be over come, its very old crumbly plaster walls (sometimes when I put anchors in to them the hole becomes huge), and the area in question have cool old pocket doors that slide in behind that plaster.

Anchor to the stud(s), not the space in-between studs. It could even be a floating shelf with no "braces" showing.

Or get a heavier piece of furniture than the table you have it on now. I had a TT in an Armoire once and you could pound your fist on the shelf with no reaction. You may not want an Armoire but something heavier / more sturdy than you have in the picture.

Or anchor the piece you have in the pic to a wall stud(s).

Try placing those cork/pads under 1 granite 16" tile. Prior to wall mounting my TT a granite tile with felt feet worked wonders!

I dont want to sound obvious but are the deck screws on the Dual still in the "shipping" position?

And if theyre not, how's the suspension? (springs)

What cartridge/stylus and at what VTF?

My 1218 is on a glass top art deco coffee table atm, in a squeaky floored 80yr old farm house and I can jump next to it with no skips.

Eric

You have to build an audio stand that accents what else is in the room. A little creativity is needed. Start over, get some input from your other half about what wood, granite, or metal you will use that fits your decor. You will both be much happier than stacking gear willy-nilly on a desk. That is some nice gear and displaying it with panache is appropriate.

Springs good, shipping screws not set, vta set right. The demo at the seller house didn’t have these issues. It’s on a lightweight side board table. Grillebilly probably is right here.

Back
Top Bottom