Balanced to Single Ended to Balanced Connection?

dark_matt3r

Hi all,

Would it make sense to connect a DAC’s balanced output to a balanced-to-unbalanced (1:1 conversion) transformer, then route that to a SE preamp input, then run the preamp output to another unbalanced-to-balanced (1:1 conversion) transformer, then route that re-’balanced’ connection to the balanced input of a power amplifier?

I have a true differential balanced DAC, a SE preamp, and true differential balanced power amp, and was wondering if I could still use all of these components with transformers between them... or if I need to spend more money upgrading to a fully balanced preamp.

Would this series of conversions destroy any benefits of running differential balanced connections in the first place, esp. regarding sound characteristics such as detail retrieval, or microdynamics, soundstage/instrument placement/imaging? Would there be other problems with things like phase?

Thanks!

Agree. If you're gonna go balanced, go all the way. In that scenario you've got at least 2 extra ICs plus the xformers, all of which can potentially have either a capacitive or noise impact on the signal. Fuel the economy, buy a balanced preamp.

I don't see anything wrong with this idea. Balanced cables are used to eliminate noise and hum on long cable runs, i.e. 100 -500 Ft. For a home system, it's overkill. But it doesn't hurt and then each device will have the proper termination.

I respectfully disagree. Both my audio systems used balanced connections and demonstrate wonderful dynamics - especially at the PPP end of the scale with well recorded 24 bit content.
I talked with an engineer about this and he agrees with you, because the noise floor drops down, extending the dynamic range. When I think dynamics, I think of high level peaks that make me take notice. I have never A/B'd balanced vs unbal, so I don't know in actuality.
BTW- I though PPP meant Push-Pull Parallel. That acronym is used here for that type of amp sometinmes.

I talked with an engineer about this and he agrees with you, because the noise floor drops down, extending the dynamic range. When I think dynamics, I think of high level peaks that make me take notice.
It is all about contrast. Classical music can have extremely wide dynamic range that never (needs to) achieve rock concert levels for exciting contrast.

BTW- I though PPP meant Push-Pull Parallel.
I gather the engineer told you about dynamic notation in music - PPP = pianississimo. At the other end is FFF = fortississimo.

Back
Top Bottom