Owning a Song..

Trent Reznor on Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt"

While J. Cash grabbed and made "his own" a few numbers, "Hurt" looms VERY LARGE as among the supreme examples of an artisti taking over another artist's number. Cash + "Hurt" is a sublime, soul-stirring, and tremendously moving experience.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say "they own it", given my absolute devotion to and love for the sounds of original Northern Soul performances, I gotta say that "Mr Postman" per The Beatles is damned good.

The Ramones might have assumed ownership of this number, @ least to many, myself included, although one must admit it's not my favorite number by The Ramones or others...

^^^ If for no other reason watch this one to be thrilled by Johnny Ramone's remarkable rhythm geetar technique of smasing out chords w/ downstrokes only; it's absolutely amazing how "fast" he could knock out chords w/out resorting to the customary "up-down" string sweep technique, and (again) especially at the frantic pace @ which he played those chords. You geetarists out there know what I mean.

Got four:

Morrison's "Light My Fire"
Joplin's "Cry Baby"
Elvis's "AmericanTrilogy"
Croce's "Time In A Bottle"

These artists just seem to own these songs.

Q

There was a one man show Groucho did (80's?); it's very funny if you can find it. I think some of the old-time radio sites have it available.

GJ

Box Scaggs/Duane Allman -- Loan Me a Dime. Sorry, Fenton.

Quicksilver Messenger Service -- Who Do You Love.

oh, I thought that was gonna be an ELO cover! :p

But now I gotta hankering for hearing a bit of ELO, the album w/ The Ruby Slippers on the cover. What's the name of that one? I know I have a copy, so it'll be in among the (album-level) folders filed under \Electric Light Orchestra...

Last I knew, Michael Jackson owned this one...

It's at 6:47...man... "eldorado".

"How clearly does he have to say it" ? ---Sam Kinison

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom