First time buyer of Sansui G-8000

bicroti

Hello! I'm very new to the vintage audio scene, but I've tried to do as much research as I could over time. I'm pretty young, so I definitely wasn't alive when Sansui was in its prime. For about a year or two I've really wanted to purchase either a G-8000 or G-9000, and boy oh boy, I just found a G-8000 about an hour and a half away from me. I'm going to go see it on Saturday and I'm pretty sure I'll be walking out of the place with it. It's a beauty. So my question here really comes down to the rest of the setup that I need to purchase. I don't have anything. No speakers, turntable, anything. My dad is big into hi-fi audio, but he only knows the newer stuff so he couldn't suggest anything for me. Like I said I'm trying to research and learn about it, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out what speakers and turntable I should get. I'd like to go with more vintage, but what do you all think? I really appreciate the help and I definitely need it. Thank you so much.

Also, the place I'm buying from have these. Maybe if I buy them together they will give me a deal. What do you think?
Acoustic Research AR90
Cerwin Vega D1
JVC SK-15A
Kenwood KL-777D
Pioneer CS-88 4 way speakers

Last edited:
There's no right answer to your question. What's your budget? This might bring less than 10,000 suggestions. First thing I'd suggest is search this site for ~dc offset and you~ and ~deoxit.~

Hello, my budget isn't too big. I'm not sure how much a solid mid-level speaker and/or turntable would be. Would around 500-750 a pair be a good price for speakers and then maybe 500 for a turntable? Thank you.

I have my G-8000 feeding my JBL L36s. I have also had it feed a pair of DCM TimeFrame 400s. In both cases the sound was great. Those speakers could easily gotten for $150 or less.

I have read that the AR90s are nice speakers but haven't ever heard any.

A pair of Klipsch Forte or Chorus should sound nice with the G8000.

Where is your location? Somebody here may be able to help you out.

Great receiver, you'll love it!
Check out DCM Timeframe 700 or Timeframe 1000's. Very transparent and natural sounding speakers.
Any ADS speakers are good.

You should be warned that buying vintage speakers (unless restored) can definitely become a project. Personally I feel that the best deals on speakers are floorstanders that are 5-20 years old as many people want smaller speakers now. With your budget you could easily find speakers that were $1500-2000+ new, and the sui should be able to drive the vast majority of them.

I have read that the AR90s are nice speakers but haven't ever heard any.

A pair of Klipsch Forte or Chorus should sound nice with the G8000.

Where is your location? Somebody here may be able to help you out.

Hello! Thank you for the reply. I'm located near Augusta GA. Hard to find stuff here, but maybe somebody knows someone around here? Thank you again.

You should be warned that buying vintage speakers (unless restored) can definitely become a project. Personally I feel that the best deals on speakers are floorstanders that are 5-20 years old as many people want smaller speakers now. With your budget you could easily find speakers that were $1500-2000+ new, and the sui should be able to drive the vast majority of them.

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions?
Where do you live? If you live in a metropolitan area the first thing I would do is audition as many speakers as I can, either those being sold on craigslist or used at a high-end audio store. You’ll probably pay more at the store but you can be reasonably assured that the speakers are in good working order, and they should have some kind of warranty. But auditioning to see what you like is key, as there are speakers that are loved by some and hated by others. There are stores in my area that often have fantastic speakers within your budget. Where do you live?

If you want to go vintage there are some refoamed Dahlquist dq10 speakers on the Greenville cl. Very highly regarded (I used to own dq8s). Asking $500.

I would think it would be worth a trip to Athens to check out the hi-end shops.

I had no idea they had stuff in Athens. I thought maybe just Atlanta. Also, this is a lame question, but if I'm auditioning speakers how would that work? Would I just go to some stores and listen? Or would I use the Sansui that I'm going to be buying in the future?

You can listen with their amps. Though it won’t sound exactly the same it will be close enough to let you know if you like them.

Ah okay gotcha! Thank you. By the way I found a pair of ADS L520's around here. A lot of people like ADS. What's your opinion?

But be aware that they are bookshelf speakers. You are getting a very powerful receiver that can easily drive most floorstanders for a much fuller sound with more bass.

Back
Top Bottom