Fender/Squire touch up paint...

knockbill

Lunatic Member
A search didn't find anything, is it available? Similar to the bottles, or small spray cans for car touch up,,, I can probably find a close match for color, but not sure if it will be chemically compatible with whats on the guitar body... I fixed a small gouge, and used lacquer primer surfacer over it, so I'm guessing that's what was used on the git originally...
Thanks...

Hey,,, Thanks for replying! This is my first Strat,,, I've had my buddy's modified Japan Strat here for a few years,,,, so I didn't have any trouble with the "screw on parts", electronics and set up... I've read that they use lacquer on them, but I'm not ready to strip/sand and re paint it yet... It had a small gouge on the back edge that I filled with Kitty Hair from my Corvette rebuilding days!!! The acrylic lacquer primer didn't seem to react badly with the finish on the git body, so I guess its acrylic lacquer also... Was hoping Fender offered touch up paints in the stock colors, but it doesn't look like it...
Maybe there's a close matching Krylon color that will work for now?

I would think scuffing the old finish and using a similar type paint would work OK for you,, but I'd try it in the spring box first to make sure its compatible...

Thanks for the link...

I've refinished several MIM Fenders, a a few Korean, Japanese and Indonesian Squiers.

I did one full strip and refinished with ReRanch and the rest were scuff up, primer and shoot with Duplicolor which is the car touch up paint.

Always came out great though there us a learning curve, esp with metallics and most of the work is in the prep.

Sorry. No help to the OP. I doubt Squier touch up paint is widely available. Unless it's some pre-1990 Japanese affair, I'm 99.9% sure they only use a poly finish.

Hey,,, Thanks for replying! This is my first Strat,,, I've had my buddy's modified Japan Strat here for a few years,,,, so I didn't have any trouble with the "screw on parts", electronics and set up... I've read that they use lacquer on them, but I'm not ready to strip/sand and re paint it yet... It had a small gouge on the back edge that I filled with Kitty Hair from my Corvette rebuilding days!!! The acrylic lacquer primer didn't seem to react badly with the finish on the git body, so I guess its acrylic lacquer also... Was hoping Fender offered touch up paints in the stock colors, but it doesn't look like it...
Maybe there's a close matching Krylon color that will work for now?

I would think scuffing the old finish and using a similar type paint would work OK for you,, but I'd try it in the spring box first to make sure its compatible...

Thanks for the link...

Try a bit of acetone-based nail polish remover or acetone on an inconspicuous spot. If the finish melts it's lacquer. if so, you can de-grease (naptha or wax remover) and spray right on top of the other color. It will melt in to the old lacquer.

Thanks for the info,,, it seems to be acrylic lacquer color with a urethane clear coat,, didn't react with the Dupont primer-surfacer I thinned and brushed on the patch,,, it came out good enough for this... I'm more familiar with car old (Corvettes) patching and painting, and understand Duplicolor is usually a metallic lacquer of some kind... I think Krylon may work as a color coat for this patch, if its still lacquer based and they have a close enough color... Trying to hold off stripping/sanding/repainting!!!! Its been fun to play since I got it set up... Needed to change the 5way switch this morning,, the original one kept cutting out in the 2nd position... I had a tight one on a spare pick guard...

Attachments

• P5070115.JPG
    P5070115.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 4
My bass that I built many years ago...came back to me with several gouges on it's backside. Luckily, it was the same paint as my Ford Focus...so factory touch up paint blended right in!

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0105.JPG
    100_0105.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 37
That's a good break! Most of the car paints have metallic in them,,, I have to see if I can find something close... there was a rough gouge in this one,,, I filled it, didn't want splinters!!

And just to throw out there, you can very often just rough up the existing paint to do another color. If never revived the existing paint before using Duplicolor or Krylon. Just scuffed everything and repaired any gouges as necessary. I only stripped everything before using the Reranch nitro.

Yep,, I like Krylon,, well the old Krylon anyhow!!! Haven't used it in a while, is it still lacquer based? I like the color of this one,,, would try to match as close as possible if repainting... May be worth getting a pint (whatever is the smallest they can mix) or so of car paint mixed for it,,, use a little now for touch up, and have enough for repainting it later... There's a few body shops down the street, think I'll talk to one of those guys... Seems Fender or someone would come up with matching touch up kits for the stock colors, gotta be a profit in it... Thanks for the discussions, gettin some ideas!!! OR, just leave its war wounds as is...

That'd be cool.

PPG will custom mix a color at certain stores. I have a couple I'd like to do at some point. One is the Cadillac pearl white from the mid 90s and the other is a less orange, more pink version of Coral. Just been too busy lately with work to start any new projects that are quite that involved.

Maybe I should just change the pic guard? body on this sq-strat is dent free but image shows sunlight reflection.. I dunno.. whats hot? lol...
zdlMnrc.jpg

Try a bit of acetone-based nail polish remover or acetone on an inconspicuous spot. If the finish melts it's lacquer. if so, you can de-grease (naptha or wax remover) and spray right on top of the other color. It will melt in to the old lacquer.
Ever try melting existing lacquer from an inconspicuous spot, and using it to touch up a patch? I heard it can be done to some degree,, but never tried it...

Back
Top Bottom