Is it just me or is that "sound" unbearable?

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

I'd like to add to this...

I live in a neighborhood where every other home has a Harley in the garage. It is not an affluent neighborhood, and I would put the mean household income at the 60-80k range.
The majority of these bikes are 1-6 years old, so l am safe to assume payments are being made...

Now my noise gripe:

If me and/or my family are outside and a motorcycle passes, we must look at him! If we do not, he will clutch in, and rev up, so the ensuing sneeze of the hog is deafening. They all do it! In some adolescent "look at me" plea ... these are 40-60 year old men, that desperately need this kind of attention, an affirmation of existence and strength. These incredibly tough masters of their two wheelers, are still aching for the COOL... pathetic.
Hate that noise!

Last edited:
I can't say I've run into a house hold device that drives me to the brink like
a recently purchased Dyson V10 cordless vacuum.

It has amazing suction but there's a particular frequency produced that the wife isn't bothered
by but makes me leave the room immediately its like a nail being driven into my noggin.

What commonly used item leaves you running for the nearest exit?

Record Doctor V. Holy hell the motor in that thing has the same effect on me. It's got a terrible resonance at a high pitch that drives me crazy. I need to break out my construction headset when using it.

I'd like to add to this...

I live in a neighborhood where every other home has a Harley in the garage. It is not an affluent neighborhood, and I would put the mean household income at the 60-80k range.
The majority of these bikes are 1-6 years old, so l am safe to assume payments are being made...

Now my noise gripe:

If me and/or my family are outside and a motorcycle passes, me must look at him! If we do not, he will clutch in, and rev up, so the ensuing sneeze of the hog is deafening. They all do it! In some adolescent "look at me" plea ... these are 40-60 year old men, that desperately need this kind of attention, an affirmation of existence and strength. These incredibly tough masters of their two wheelers, are still aching for the COOL... pathetic.
Hate that noise!

Sorry about your luck with the d!¥£heads. These guys would be doing it with whatever they where driving/riding. When I lived in a subdivision I would actually push mine down my driveway and could coast most of the way out then I would start it. At the time it was very loud and I leave at 5am. I actually put a quieter exhaust on mine, main reason was it makes a little more power with a little more back pressure, secondary (which helped me make the decision) it was quieter for my neighbors since I do leave so early.

Stop with the grumpy old man HD bashing ( JK it’s a great laugh for me), as with everything the bad apples ruin the lot :banana:

Edit: I think I am going to put the old mufflers on and start riding thru the 55yr plus old people community I ride past at 5:30am everyday. :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry about your luck with the d!¥£heads. These guys would be doing it with whatever they where driving/riding. When I lived in a subdivision I would actually push mine down my driveway and could coast most of the way out then I would start it. At the time it was very loud and I leave at 5am. I actually put a quieter exhaust on mine, main reason was it makes a little more power with a little more back pressure, secondary (which helped me make the decision) it was quoted for my neighbors since I do leave so early.

Stop with the grumpy old man HD bashing ( JK it’s a great laugh for me), as with everything the bad apples ruin the lot :banana:

Edit: I think I am going to put the old mufflers on and start riding thru the 55yr plus old people community I ride past at 5:30am everyday. :cool:

It is awesome that you practice consideration!
Thank you!

I often wonder if the demographic that the loud, tough machines cater to, just does not possess the ability to reflect and see how others see them...
I hope your consideration is contagious, and maybe those adolescent middle aged hooligans (;)) will pause to think about others...

Holding my breath. :D

I love silence, laughter, and music. I hate just about every other sound. Repetitious sounds, or "sounds of the inconsiderate" are triggers for me. Loud bikes, retarded barking dogs, loud-talkers, ring/text tones, any of it. I want to hand out an endless supply of upper-cuts.

They actually have a named condition for this- Misophonia. It kinda makes me like this guy (skip to the 1:00 mark):

A Dyson vacuum cleaner was reviewed by Wired magazine, compared to four others — even machines with zero "super-cool" images like Hoover. The Dyson lost on all the critical parameters, most of all, of course, value for money.

But it has a digital motor!!

Last edited:
often wonder if the demographic that the loud, tough machines cater to

I can only speak to myself, family and friends. It’s all about the performance, the sound is secondary, a well done exhaust is music to a lot of people. Probably way more than a great sounding home stereo.

I do that, that’s why I have never had an incident in Hampton roads Va in the last 14yrs that wasn’t the cage drivers fault. I have also had many people pull up to me at stop lights and say they are glad they heard me because they didn’t see me (even though we made eye contact, I ride like all the cage drivers are idiots because most are), so not saying your wrong but from my exprenice I will say Wrong.

:beerchug:

Oh geez, where have we heard this before? The other guy is always a worse driver than the motorcyclist or the trucker. I assume "cage" means car, like truckers use "4 wheeler."

People popping and snapping their chewing gum with undo gusto and little or no regard for others in the immediate area. OPG.

Jak się masz. I hate when noisy Harley riders do this! Seriously, it seems like way fewer people chew gum than 20 or 30 years ago.

Oh geez, where have we heard this before? The other guy is always a worse driver than the motorcyclist or the trucker. I assume "cage" means car, like truckers use "4 wheeler."

It’s not that they are worst, there are terrible drivers of every type of vehicle. The brain is not looking for motorcycles when in traffic, cars and trucks yes. Almost everytime (a lot in this area) that people have pulled out in front of me eye contact has been made. And statements like yours are typically from people that have never ridden. I have been involved with the teaching of MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes since I was 24yrs old, every single class this fact is discussed. Drivers will look right through you and just keep going.

And yes cages are cars, I am only in my cage when it’s raining hard in the morning or the temp is below 35 degrees.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
You don't want to present them as an option [the older people get, the more automatically they will reject offered change], you want to present them as "this is the way things are going to be now." If she wants to continue to live in your house and watch her programs on your TV, she needs to use the headphones so that she won't be driving everyone else crazy with the volume. Get the cordless kind that sit on a charging dock when they're not in use, so she doesn't have to do anything other than putting them on and taking them off. As a bonus, she'll probably be able to hear the shows better.

This. It worked for my mother. She can listen as loud as she needs too, while the rest of can listen at normal volume or volume at all.

I can't say I've run into a house hold device that drives me to the brink like
a recently purchased Dyson V10 cordless vacuum.

It has amazing suction but there's a particular frequency produced that the wife isn't bothered
by but makes me leave the room immediately its like a nail being driven into my noggin.

What commonly used item leaves you running for the nearest exit?

Reminds me of when I bought a high powered shop vac. Something about the high pitch whine set my ears a ringing. Still have low level ringing to this day.

Some good stuff here...
Whoever said "bagpipes" I gotta agree... not sure how that became a "musical" instrument.
I also agree with "leaf blowers" but my annoyance is more with the "point of the leaf blower," which as far as I can tell is to just disperse/spread the mess rather than remove... of course Im one of those nuts that sweeps after I mow, to include the gutter and street in front of my house and then use a broom and dustpan to remove the debris. I recognize its a silly point.

As for Harleys/Loud exhaust... I too love the sound of a healthy motor and good exhaust, but there are limits. Even I in my youth had glass packs on a V8 IH Scout... meaning had glass packs for like 1-month before I couldn't take it no more and went to Turbos.

I also find it funny how I have yet to EVER hear someone admit they are a bad driver/rider...and I know quite a few Harley riders who through out their riding years have had accidents with cars/trucks, yet I have NEVER heard a Harley rider say the accident was their fault... must never happen...

all in good fun...
Hell I drive a WRX so I am part of a super-annoying-driving group.

Ben

yet I have NEVER heard a Harley rider say the accident was their fault... must never happen...

I have been on the ground 4 times (on the street) since I started in 1980. 2 where my fault but did not involve other vehicles. The other 2 were the cars fault, not paying attention. I ride 42 Miles one way everyday, I ride my HD fairly conservative (I have never been down on my HD’s) they are not sport bikes, I also ride like everyone is going to pull out in front of me, I am also constantly scanning my mirrors. Every single day I have people pull out in front of me or cut me off. Lots of people should not be driving anything on public roads but feel that it’s there right to do so!! Make up, razors and cell phones don’t help.

I have been on the ground 4 times (on the street) since I started in 1980. 2 where my fault but did not involve other vehicles. The other 2 were the cars fault, not paying attention. I ride 42 Miles one way everyday, I ride my HD fairly conservative (I have never been down on my HD’s) they are not sport bikes, I also ride like everyone is going to pull out in front of me, I am also constantly scanning my mirrors. Every single day I have people pull out in front of me or cut me off. Lots of people should not be driving anything on public roads but feel that it’s there right to do so!! Make up, razors and cell phones don’t help.

My honest opinion, is that ANYONE who rides a motorcycle in today's traffic is INSANE!
I would never, because you are right... the average driver is terrible and inattentive.

Not to mention, the average vehicle on the road today (I believe) is larger than ever, being that SUVs, Trucks, crossovers etc. seem to be the most purchased vehicles... I personally as a "car driver" have never had to replace as many windshields as I have over the last 10 years, being one of the "lower vehicles" on the road today.

Its nuts.
My hats off to anyone that goes out into traffic in ANYTHING less than a steel cage!

Ben

Back
Top Bottom