How many have speakers toed in?

I have my Revel F32s toed in as recommended in the user manual (yes, I actually read it). They sound great!

-Matt

My NLAdvents in my office have a crazy toe (unequal) because my desk puts me about 1 foot in "front" of them.
Crazy as it sounds, I'm getting some decent soundstage/imaging.
In the serious listening room upstairs, the Chorus II's are toed in slightly. (a nanu-nanu)

Just a 5 or so degree toe in. Did a lot of experimentation to get to where they are and image pretty satisfactory. I tried looking straight down the barrel of the mid horns but didn't give me the image like the current setup.
I recommend following mfg recommendations as a start, but allow for some deviation based on the listening space. In other words experiment.

Toed in in one setup and not toed in in another.
My main speakers are not toed, manufacturer's mandate.
Secondary speakers are toed
Garage speakers haven't been "officially" positioned...yet. (It's only been on the List of Things to Do for 14 months.)

Everyone thinks point source speakers with domes have the best dispersion. What a fallacy. Most can't maintain even response 15 degrees off axis above 10 KHZ. Horn speakers are much better. But that said the fall off allows you to voice your system by the way your orient your speakers as far as the direct sound from the speakers is concerned. What the reflected sound response is another story. How they support or degrade each other is another story. There is no simple answer. Thats why a lot of folks use Room Perfect to voice their systems. It takes a lot of the variables in to account before touching up the system. And if you want to change the over all tenor of the system; that's possible, too.

Last edited:
Read reviews about the JBL M2. Has one of the best horns out there with the best freq response and smoothest dis-person pattern. That doesn't mean you will like it. But, it does the job very well in the right room with the right acoustics and proper placement.

It depends on the stats. (IMO/E) Acoustats, Quad ESL's, Martin Logans, Magneplanars and most other flat panel speakers almost always sound better toed in. Try them with the axis crossing in front behind and directly at the listening position. Somewhere between front and behind they will snap into focus.

I don't have enough experience with the Sound Lab multi faceted type to comment on them. in addition toe in helps to diffuse the rear wave.

Why?

Are they that beamy?
In a word, yes.

I hadn't really thought much about it, since it's been an intuitive thing for me since my first planars (MMGs). Something about aimin' 'em right at me has always appealed.

After some thought, I'd have to agree that their beamy nature is the reason. Being in the center is always best. At the Sanders room in RMAF 2016, there were only three listening chairs, lined up behind each other, each in the center. But I don't want to give the impression that it is required. Standing up, for instance, brings an angled perspective on the hologram, making depth perception and localization more pronounced. The 'sweet spot' standing up allows two people to share it, IME. Seated, two people had best be cuddly. :D

I can tell you that a friend preferred them with less toe-in, but I went back to more after a day or so. It seems pretty good for next-room listening too, not sure why. In my experience, planars belong in different, intersecting planes.

Edit: On second thought, being in the center may be as much about being equi-distant as about dispersion.

Last edited:
My main system ADS L1290 II are not.

My secondary system RSL Elans are not.

My garage system L100s are.

I don't sit in a sweet spot when listening............Ducks for cover.

Rob

Yup, Aurum Cantus F620 towers, Oatlon W2-1000F massive towers, B&W DM16 floor standers and Polk TSI100 bookshelves.... All toed in.

My Dayton USA PS220-8 based speakers absolutely require toe in, and Boston Accoustics A100 sound great toed in.... I did have some Pioneer CS88A speakers and toe in made very little difference with those. Lovely tone though.

Back
Top Bottom