Cartridge suggestions for FR64 tonearm

rich121

Been out of the loop for quite a few years due to some 'life' events, with system in storage.

I have been able to pull my system from storage, and last year worked enough overtime to upgrade or purchase new equipment, but I have not upgraded my turntable/tonearm/cartridge yet.

My turntable is a Technics SL1000 MKII which for those not familiar, is the Technics SP10 MKII turntable mounted on a factory plinth.
I have two Technics B-500 bases with an 'E' armwand and 'H' armwand that I don't use.
The tonearm I do use is a Fidelity Research FR64, so I need a low compliance cartridge.
The cartridge I used last is a vintage Fidelity Research FR-1 MK3 F, which needs to be re-tipped, and I will do so once I get a replacement.

The rest of the system includes:

Zesto 1.2 Andros tube phono stage
Zesto 1.5 tube preamp
Quicksilver V4 tube amps (new KT150 version)
Green Mountain Audio Continuum 3 speakers
JL Audio 113 Fathom subwoofers (pair)

Curious what cartridges other high mass tonearm owners are using, especially those who use Fidelity Research FR64/66 tonearms.

Looking for cartridges under $2000 USD at most.. probably should spend half that.

I have over 20K records, so I am very anxious to get this back into service.

Really curious about suggestions and thanks in advance.

First of all welcome back to vinyl, you won’t regret getting back to vinyl, I know I didn’t.

As for low compliance cartridge choices I think an absolute amazing choice for that arm and turntable combo would be the Fidelity Research FR7f.

Like you I have plenty experience with the amazing FR1 MK3F, and it is amazing. However, since owning the FR1 I have personally found other Fidelity Research carts to be even better, namely the PMC1 and MC202. The latter being the best cart I have ever heard.

That being said I have read a great deal about the FR7 series being the best of the bunch and even better if you have a high mass tonearm.

Other options could be the plain old Denon 103 but transplanted into an ebony body.

Last edited:
Ortofon SPU :D

I own a Fidelity Research FR64S. It´s the best built tonearm I have had and it approaches sonic heaven when paired whit a SPU cartridge.

I've both an Ortofon SPU Classic G Mk2 and Fidelity Research FR-7 which I use with my FR-64S arm. I prefer the FR-7 of the two. Lovely sounding cartridge. Very beguiling.

I do use an Audio Technica ART9 on a FR-14 arm as my main cart most of the time though.

Other options could be the plain old Denon 103 but transplanted into an ebony body
For the budget he's working with he shouldn't consider a DL-103 that is then modded with a wood body, but a Zu modded unit that is complete upon purchase. No personal experience but said to be a giant killer.
I can only wish I had the experience of working with cartridges in this upper stratus of component quality to actually offer advice. Alas, I dwell among the bottom feeders of our hobby.
I will patiently await for your cast offs to become more affordable.

I use either my (entry level) SPU#1S or my ZU DL-103 II Grade2 with my modded 12" Ortofon arm and I'm having a difficult time deciding which cartridge I like best!

If you ever find that budget is a concern I'd suggest trying a plain ol' DL-103 (you can often find them on sale) along with one of those aluminum slip-on cartridge caps (DenonAluminumBody.com) just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom