What crazy "pseudo-science" tweak did you feel actually works?

Far better exists. Doing the math, the EDC of that is 3.77. Like most zip cord.

Nordost Valhalla is 1.32. The JPS Labs Superconductor I use is 1.16 (website data no longer available for old product). Remember that the objective is 1.0.
If you want to spend $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 for a single 10' section of cable, be my guest. I'll stick with $10.00 for a 10' section and sound just fine. There is no significant high frequency roll-off in the audio spectrum.

If you want to spend $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 for a single 10' section of cable, be my guest. I'll stick with $10.00 for a 10' section and sound just fine.
Mine ran $1000/pr. Some folks want more than *fine*. :)

There is no significatant high frequency roll-off in the audio spectrum.
Ok, but that's not the challenge presented. It's about the time smear of stored energy, not bandwidth.

Mine ran $1000/pr. Some folks want more than *fine*. :)

Ok, but that's not the challenge presented. It's about the time smear of stored energy, not bandwidth.
Loss at the crossover and internal wiring to the drivers virtually negate the additional dollar spend. The best speaker wire for smear elimination is the elimination of the speaker wire and have the output device of the amp connected at the basket of the driver. However, that's not rational either. When it comes to cable, Belden isn't new to the party.

Last edited:
The best speaker wire for smear elimination is the elimination of the speaker wire and have the output device of the amp connected at the basket of the driver. However, that's not rational either.
Whilst not quite entirely eliminating speaker wire, it's pretty short in active speakers. That they are "not rational" will come as news to a big part of the pro audio community.

Whilst not quite entirely eliminating speaker wire, it's pretty short in active speakers. That they are "not rational" will come as news to a big part of the pro audio community.
Go argue with someone else Dave over semantics. Better yet, welcome to iggy.

Not arguing; just curious: why do you think active speakers -- which are successful and growing in popularity -- aren't rational?

I think active or as close to active as possible is totally rational. My analog system sounded best when I placed the monoblock amps as close as possible to the speakers (single driver folded horns) eliminating as much speaker wire as possible. Maybe it helped that they were 2A3 flea amps and not massive SS 500 watt class A amps, but it DID help. Long ICs seem to have less effect on the sound than long speaker cables. At least when talking a 3 watt system. I haven't tried long ICs and big powerful solid state monoblocks. I wonder if that would work as well?

Manny, I see this grease comes in a syringe. How did youi go about applying it evenly in ICs and everything else?

Thanks for that reply. The same questions were thrown at me 20 years ago when I posted about a similar product, I think it was called XTC or similar. It was a little wet wipe that you used on all the connections and cable ends. I felt that it helped a little but then was accused that it did nothing and all the re-seating of cables was all that happened.
The product was TPC, The Perfect Connection sold by XLO Electric Company. It is an electrical contact coating via similar to a wet wipe.

From an article
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue19/cleaning.htm

Regarding contact-enhancement chemicals, the two that have made a difference for me are TPC (The Perfect Connection) by XLO, the cable people, and Craig's Pro Gold. The TPC is a wipe towelet that comes individually wrapped. One or two packets will do your whole system. The Craig is a liquid that
tpc.jpg
comes in various sizes and delivery methods. My first purchase was a spray can, but now I use their pen applicator. The pen is more precise in its application to small parts, and the solution doesn't get all over the back of your equipment, as it can when you use the spray can. The pen also comes with replaceable tips, so if you wear one out doing tube sockets, you can use a fresh one for your RCAs. Use this stuff on all of the metal connection surfaces, and wipe dry before reconnecting.

I think active or as close to active as possible is totally rational. My analog system sounded best when I placed the monoblock amps as close as possible to the speakers (single driver folded horns) eliminating as much speaker wire as possible. Maybe it helped that they were 2A3 flea amps and not massive SS 500 watt class A amps, but it DID help. Long ICs seem to have less effect on the sound than long speaker cables. At least when talking a 3 watt system. I haven't tried long ICs and big powerful solid state monoblocks. I wonder if that would work as well?
Manny, while active is a good idea, that wasn't what I was saying. It is not rational for my system.

Here's the thing, if you were to say, "my car cannot achieve space flight, it's not rational..." and I started the argument with you, "well you'll have to tell those folks over at NASA that space flight is irrational, because they have been flying to space for decades...." Kind of a stupid argument to present wouldn't you think? I'm not into that type of semantics. Dave can go and argue with himself.

Manny, I see this grease comes in a syringe. How did youi go about applying it evenly in ICs and everything else?

I use one that comes in a little jar, but regardless, if you have it in a syringe you dispense a small amount onto a card or some other clean surface and dip a toothpick or small brush in the grease.

Manny, while active is a good idea, that wasn't what I was saying. It is not rational for my system.

Understood. I thought you meant in general.

Here's the thing, if you were to say, "my car cannot achieve space flight, it's not rational..." and I started the argument with you, "well you'll have to tell those folks over at NASA that space flight is irrational, because they have been flying to space for decades...." Kind of a stupid argument to present wouldn't you think? I'm not into that type of semantics. Dave can go and argue with himself.
You're misusing the term semantics -- it literally means meaning -- and you still haven't made it clear why you think active speakers are "not rational", for your system or any other.

If you mean active speakers aren't "rational" because, say, you already have some speakers that aren't active and you like them, then you're using the term "rational" incorrectly.

I'll go with a tonearm update. Done a few of them through the years.

Pricey, but a difference maker. Especially with smaller and less amplified instruments and say the 3rd or 4th voice harmonizing. Subtle alright, but it's there.

Interconnects, speaker cables and power cables . I was one of the naysayers and could careless for what cables I was using as long as they were serviceable, however a friend of mine suggested I try a pair of each , I did and turned out I was shocked at the positive difference it made with my system. Now I’m not wanting to get into a cable debate but I was scratching my head wondering how and what and why in the hell did some higher end cables make that much of a difference?.

My conclusion is that the cables weren’t adding anything to the system but they were taking away from it and by that I mean the noise floor , therefore allowing me to hear much more detail and information of my music. The term Black background is used often and I believe this is what it is , decreasing or eliminating the noise all together.

Whether you believe in it or not that’s up to you , but I say before you say it’s all BS because scientifically there cannot be a way for cables to do anything to your system , try out some sets and hear for yourself, if there’s a positive difference then there you go you can say you tried them and it worked , if there’s nothing and no positive difference then you can say with backup that you have tried different higher end cables and heard nothing different.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom