Kef 105/3 - B160 MF Driver Surround Adhesive

sydbar81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking for some feedback on a repair that is needed on one of the B160 LMF drivers of my newly acquired 105/3. The adhesive has released on two areas and the surround has become detached from the cone creating an air leak. These things have been in storage for over 10 years.

Can anyone with experience recommend the proper adhesive to use for this driver and neoprene surround? I don't really want to experiment and have to deal with unexpected reactions with materials, or worse.

Also, am I correct in assuming that I am able to touch this up or should I just rework the driver entirely?

Attachments

• 20181007_180237.jpg
    20181007_180237.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 22
3M™ Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive 1300

Overwhelming chance of spilling glue were its not supposed to be. The neoprene surround has to complete a perfect circle , chances are high that it will not be a perfect circle after glueing and pressing surfaces together until cured. and might compromise mechanical properties of the entire Cone going out of spec., it needs a very thin layer of glue and the rubber ring must grip evenly to the surface of the cone. I would say its a workshop case , they cut the surround of completely ,center the coil and glue in a new fresh one. Will not cost you much. Provided of course you have such service in your area. You have fine speakers, I would go to seek professional service.
I have never seen that kind of problem, to be honest .First time.

Last edited:
I have seen it on more than one set of Kefs 104.2 - 103.4 . If your looking for a repair guy . Look up Gordon W . He rebuilt my 103.4 . Good luck. Btw he is in Georgia

I'd definitely try to repair that myself, once I was confident I had the correct adhesive. It looks small enough that finding the right position should be obvious. If that doesn't work, or more of the surround becomes detached, then investigate a more major repair.

These are the original drivers.

I was able to get a syringe in the gap from behind after pulling out the driver from the pod.

Regular old pva hobby glue has done the trick, this is the original type of adhesive apparently (confirmed by speaker guru who had a hand in designing these).

Speakers are still undoing restoration and I have yet to test. The repairs seems tohilding up just fine, took some babysitting until the glue tacked up, though.

Can't even tell a repair was made unless you really get up close and look for it.

Attachments

• 20181011_224402.jpg
    20181011_224402.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom