Is sleeping next to my amplifier bad for my health?

We're all being micro-waved by satellite, anyway. A low EMF near the bed is negligible. The poisons we spray into air and water are more worrisome.

Don't believe these guys, they are prejudiced. There is a clear risk from sleeping next to your amp. Those that are saying 'no' have lived next to their amps for years, they are not open to reason.

Clearly they have become biased.

Last edited:
Is sleeping next to my amplifier bad for my health?
Might hurt your back if the SO is making you sleep on the living room floor. :dunno:

I figure that sleeping over my waterbed heater is worse. I've been doing that for over 30 years.

If you see a growth forming on your neck that looks like a gourd, trying moving the amplifier a few inchesgourd.jpg

Hello,

I know this sounds a bit like a silly question... but then again, I am curious if there is any truth to it.

I have googled around a bit, and most search results are about electromagnetic fields of cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers etc.

But what about amplifiers? One with a big fat transformer it it?

My common sense tells me, as long as the amp is off, there shouldn't be any magnetic field, so nothing to worry about. But maybe I am wrong?

The bad thing about cell phones is that they emit em radiation of around 1 GHz frequency (because the atmosphere is more transparent at that value and then there is a cost saving in telecommunications infrastructure). But that frequency is unfortunately too close to the water molecule resonant frequency of about 2.45 GHz, meaning that the water molecules couple to the EM field and move, producing an increase in kinetic energy that may be understood as an increase in temperature. That is the microwave oven working principle. The trouble is that a human being body is made out of a 75 % water content! The bandwidth of an amplifier never exceeds 100 kHz, when in operation. Too far from exciting any water molecules in your body. You may sleep gracefully, but remember to keep your cell phones and computers a bit farther away.

PS: regarding the big transformers, probably in the power source, they work at 60 Hz, so nothing to worry about except for the noise.

Back
Top Bottom