Fair price for ADS 710s

FatsLeDieux

Hi all, thought I'd start a fresh thread here and ask opinions on a fair price for nice condition ADS 710s (no stands). The prices I'm seeing on eBay seem way too high to me.

Also thought I'd ask for recommendations on similar sized and sounding speakers as alternatives. I've listened to the 710s and really like them but am open to other options that may be a better price. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all, thought I'd start a fresh thread here and ask opinions on a fair price for nice condition ADS 710s (no stands). The prices I'm seeing on eBay seem way too high to me.

Also thought I'd ask for recommendations on similar sized and sounding speakers as alternatives. I've listened to the 710s and really like them but am open to other options that may be a better price. Thanks.
As per forum rules discussions of monetary values are restricted to the Dollars & Sense sub-forum section.

It seems that most,well some sellers use ebay sold listing as a baseline for asking prices but that does not necessarily reflect actual real world transactions.
the short answer,which you seem to have already set as a baseline for your own comfort level of investment, is not in line with these findings.

shop in your local market since shipping cost hurts investment values.

We just did this for a pair with stands so your question maybe be influenced by the discussion here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-d-s-l710-how-much.826416/

Couple things about the 710 is the version. First version is a rectangular box with a black cloth grille that keeps the sticky dome drivers cleaner than the later version which has rounded corners and a black or bronze perforated metal grille. Many prefer the later version but the sticky domes get filthy with use but this does not affect sound quality they say. I like my pair of very clean sticky dome, dark-colored oiled-walnut veneered black cloth L710s. These sold for 325 each new and are one of the better built vintage speakers I have owned. There are a number of vintage bookshelf (any 2' x 1' x 1' or less box) speakers that sell for more than original MSRP such at the AR-3(a) and I don't quite understand it. The ADS should, too, but it is really about half MSRP and a good deal at that price. Maybe because they made so many of them or that they are not the top speaker in the line.

You are correct that vintage audio is popular, but I have seen the ADS 810 go for 400 over a decade ago to near 200 a few years later and not it is a good bit higher than that low. Good luck finding your pair of 710s at a price appropriate for the condition or less. Deals are out there, just have to strike immediately when the opportunity arises. This is my reason for having the 710s and the 1590s.

I still find it amusing when people refer to AR-3(a)s as "bookshelf" speakers. What bookshelf are you putting them on? Does it not immediately crash to the ground?

I still find it amusing when people refer to AR-3(a)s as "bookshelf" speakers. What bookshelf are you putting them on? Does it not immediately crash to the ground?
You don't remember the library that folks had in their homes back then with the baby grand piano with the speakers sideways on the shelves?

I just use that term for general discussion as the 3 came out to compete with all those end table and larger, much larger speakers of the day. Even if those speakers had the MCM wooden legs lifting them a foot off the ground they were still very large boxes taking up lots of space.

Here is a shelf that is capable of holding the larger "bookshelf" speakers from the '70s :biggrin:

(From the AR-10pi brochure)

20180620_170352A.jpg

Great information and thanks for the point of view,
Guy asks for pricing info and gets a pedantic semantics lesson. Way to go!

Naw, entertaining way to go off the rails.
Plus I think I've got a ballpark answer.
Now if that fireplace were a pizza oven and the speakers were thermally "decoupled" from said oven, it's about the perfect setup.

Wonder if Fats found a pair of 710s?

I ended up not liking the ones I got nearly as much as my 520s. Too laid back in the mids.
Beautiful though.

Intend to move on from them and try to locate some 620s.

Mb quarts & Canton are German made, less common and sound excellent at usually half price of ads.

Hey, sorry to leave y'all hanging in suspense. Works been keeping me busy. So in the end, I didn't spring for the pair I was looking at. I felt like if I was going to drop a few hundred, I'd wait and try to find a nicer condition pair even if spent a little more. In the meantime, I came across a pair of Celestion DL10's in a thrift store that need some work on the cabinets. They sound pretty dang good, wish I had the ADS for a side by side though as I remember really liking their sound as well. anybody ever compare the two? (is that hijacking my own thread?)

Back
Top Bottom