I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Now that I got my new blue Bulova I decided to sell the Accutron. It is just too big. I really like it but the new one actually has a nicer bracelet with solid end links and at 39mm it just fits me better.

I'm not sure why the guys over there do not allow discussion of reps. It is often the only way to authenticate a watch. I would think that helping members get a genuine would support their mission of promoting manufacturers. Somehow, they think that anything members say to help other members helps the fakers. Not likely, the fakers have real examples to pattern after so there is nothing anyone can say that they already do not know. The end result is that newbies do not get the help they need and the likelihood they make a mistake goes up. It also means the knowledge base is piss poor and any opinion you get from the "experts" is questionable. It's a strange and uneasy dynamic.

I'm not sure why the guys over there do not allow discussion of reps. It is often the only way to authenticate a watch. I would think that helping members get a genuine would support their mission of promoting manufacturers. Somehow, they think that anything members say to help other members helps the fakers. Not likely, the fakers have real examples to pattern after so there is nothing anyone can say that they already do not know. The end result is that newbies do not get the help they need and the likelihood they make a mistake goes up. It also means the knowledge base is piss poor and any opinion you get from the "experts" is questionable. It's a strange and uneasy dynamic.

Because WUS is beholden to the Sponsors and the Sponsors dont want anyone talking about the fakes in any way. The Mods at WUS are the nastiest kind of scum.

Because WUS is beholden to the Sponsors and the Sponsors dont want anyone talking about the fakes in any way. The Mods at WUS are the nastiest kind of scum.

Yeah, I get that feeling all the time over there. Not allowing members to assist the pre-owned buyer tilts sales toward buys from sponsors and AD's. The usual retort is "buying the seller". Got burned? You should have gone to an AD. That's disingenuous. I would think that preserving and protecting the integrity of the second hand market would keep values up which would close the gap to new and make buying new a more economic option.

On a side note, we are fortunate to have audio keepers that maintain their independence. Discussion would be a lot different if the retailers were in charge.

On a side note, we are fortunate to have audio keepers that maintain their independence. Discussion would be a lot different if the retailers were in charge.

Completely agree......although I see shills try to change that all the time on here. WUS does not have the type of membership structure that AK has; they rely on corporate sponsors and their ads to stay in business. So they are much more like an online magazine than AK is. AK has "Subscribers" to help with costs so it can stay more independent.

On WUS the brand forums are sponsored by that brand. The "Affordables" forum started out as the Invicta forum.

...On WUS the brand forums are sponsored by that brand...

That makes the "head in the sand" policy regarding reps even more incredible. I'm trying to get a newbie to de-list his fake watch from ebay but the old timers discourage describing the flaws out of fear that whatever I say will assist the fakers. Incredibly, this newbie keeps asking for an opinion when he already has evidence in hand. His watch is a fake and he is trying to get gen money.

You can ask whether a watch you bought is real or not. I bought a Seiko diver at the old US Navy base in Subic Bay Philippines last year that appeared to be a nice Seiko pepsi diver.
However it had 24 jewels instead of 21. The thing is it had a hackable Seiko movement that Seiko sold to other watch makers such as Invicta. Since I had a Pepsi Invicta diver with the same Seiko movement (almost) already
I returned the "Seiko" and got the watch back. I had a street vendor open the watch just so I could take a picture of the movement and some idiot who responded to the thread thought I had bought the watch on the street corner.
One cool thing about Philippines is that basic watch repair and new batteries are available about 16 hours a day right on the streets in big cities.

Here is the thread. Beware the 24 Jewel Seiko pepsi diver! Shows you how little I knew about the Seiko divers then lol.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/return-keep-seiko-nh36a-0020-scuba-divers-3979962.html

Last edited:
You can ask whether a watch you bought is real or not. I bought a Seiko diver at the old US Navy base in Subic Bay Philippines last year that appeared to be a nice Seiko pepsi diver.
However it had 24 jewels instead of 21. The thing is it had a hackable Seiko movement that Seiko sold to other watch makers such as Invicta. Since I had a Pepsi Invicta diver with the same Seiko movement (almost) already
I returned the "Seiko" and got the watch back. I had a street vendor open the watch just so I could take a picture of the movement and some idiot who responded to the thread thought I had bought the watch on the street corner.
One cool thing about Philippines is that basic watch repair and new batteries are available about 16 hours a day right on the streets in big cities.

Here is the thread. Beware the 24 Jewel Seiko pepsi diver! Shows you how little I knew about the Seiko divers then lol.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/return-keep-seiko-nh36a-0020-scuba-divers-3979962.html

At least some of the "experts" made the right call.

I made a call on a watch in Officine Panerai sub-forum and got my fingers singed. Note the reply I got from one of the goons and the intervention by a mod.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f75/panerai-real-thread-802260-217.html

Last edited:
I recognize that I’m in this honeymoon phase where everything looks super cool. Especially the retro watches like the DW5600 G-Shock or the Timex Mk1.

But I also want to begin creeping upmarket.

There’s something kind of magical about the Seiko 5 SNK. It’s affordable. It looks great (to me) and after years of wearing a good Quartz watch, I want to experience an automatic. I want to see the movement working behind the display back and be able to watch the seconds hand sweep instead of tick.

Amazon is offering $70 off any purchase when you get approved for their prime credit card. That would make the out-of-pocket for an SNK absolutely trivial.

I recognize that I’m in this honeymoon phase where everything looks super cool. Especially the retro watches like the DW5600 G-Shock or the Timex Mk1.

But I also want to begin creeping upmarket.

There’s something kind of magical about the Seiko 5 SNK. It’s affordable. It looks great (to me) and after years of wearing a good Quartz watch, I want to experience an automatic. I want to see the movement working behind the display back and be able to watch the seconds hand sweep instead of tick.

Amazon is offering $70 off any purchase when you get approved for their prime credit card. That would make the out-of-pocket for an SNK absolutely trivial.

$70 off is huge. What case are you getting? I've read excellent reports on Seiko automatic movements. If it was me against nature, I would take a Seiko over a Swiss movement. In fact, my Chinese Seagull ST25's keep better time that the Valjoux 7750 in my Swiss diver.

I'm wearing my SNK803 today. It comes with a tan band which I replaced.

I got mine on super sale from Amazon. It was $38.00 which the black and blue ones were about $75.

index.php

At least some of the "experts" made the right call.

I made a call on a watch in Officine Panerai sub-forum and got my fingers singed. Note the reply I got from one of the goons and the intervention by a mod.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f75/panerai-real-thread-802260-217.html
Yeah very heavy handed...I can't believe the term "felony" surfaced. I think knowing what is fake or how to spot fakes helps people from making big mistakes.
I usually only go there to look at the pictures or find info about watches I may have seen or read about.

$70 off is huge. What case are you getting? I've read excellent reports on Seiko automatic movements. If it was me against nature, I would take a Seiko over a Swiss movement. In fact, my Chinese Seagull ST25's keep better time that the Valjoux 7750 in my Swiss diver.

I’m looking at the SNK807 or 809. What cratz2 posted but with a black face or a blue face.

I'm wearing my SNK803 today. It comes with a tan band which I replaced.

I got mine on super sale from Amazon. It was $38.00 which the black and blue ones were about $75.

index.php

That’s beautiful and a steal!

Yeah very heavy handed...I can't believe the term "felony" surfaced. I think knowing what is fake or how to spot fakes helps people from making big mistakes.
I usually only go there to look at the pictures or find info about watches I may have seen or read about.

Did you like how I handled him? He backed down. Idiot.

Bodyblue is right. I'm already bored of WUS.

You have to look at the rep sites and rep review sites to educate yourself on how to spot fakes. It's the only way if you are going to buy pre-owned.

Last edited:
Here's my latest. Was at JC Penny's yesterday and this Sekio Solar Chronograph popped out.They were having some crazy good sales. Talking to the very nice associate besides the 2 discounts she found another that brought it in under what most online discounters had it for. It's not their best movement but it sure is a looker in black and chrome. Supposed to be good for 15 seconds a month. It joins the Bulova Precisionist which is on it's second band. It's good for 15 seconds a year and the second hand looks like sweep but it's a bunch of very small movements, very cool. Then a Sekio Kentic also on it's second band which is worn while working and is so dang reliable. Last there's the LG smart watch that is another good looking cuss.

43670860215_f8fbedcf17_b.jpg

42771519520_c4f0472800_b.jpg

42771520890_824db1b504_b.jpg

42771522030_71f5f9c460_b.jpg

When I checked the new Sekio Solar today against the phone it was set to its only about 4 seconds off in over a month.

When I checked the new Sekio Solar today against the phone it was set to its only about 4 seconds off in over a month.

A mechanical that is off 4 seconds a day would get a COSC certification. Rolex, which calls themselves Superlative Chronometer is 2 seconds a day.

My Swiss watch (which is COSC certified) was 15 seconds a day slow so I opened her up and nudged the regulator. Don't have a beat counter so it will be trial and error.

Well today I got my Seiko 5 SNK807 and it is a beauty. The display back is really cool. Especially when you take a slo-mo video of the spring back there in action. I also got a NATO for my Citizen EcoDrive and it’s the freshness I needed. Five years with leather bands got boring, and with its size and huge Arabic numerals it’s not exactly a dress watch.

C49F55E6-CEE3-476E-8DD8-EC60287A41AC.jpeg

Edit: link to the movement https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo7m_6eAL8P/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1a1b39xdkoeg1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom