Found a JCPenny table

WaynerN

Addicted Member
My bride and I went to this sale at an old industrial building and one of the turntables I found there was an MCS 6502. I was busy looking around (picked up another turntable and a Pioneer unit) and when we were done, the guy didn't want very much. This is the same place I found the ADC-XLM MKII cartridge and stylus.

When I got home, I realized that the MCS was a belt drive (I thought it was a direct drive). Of course the belt was dissolved. After studying the thing and seeing that the tonearm was a problem and needing rewiring and other things, I decided it was best to put it asleep. Into a bag and into the garbage can it went.

The next morning I felt bad, so I went and fetched it out of the garbage and started to take it apart, thinking I could fix the arm and maybe some little kid might want it, 'cause it certainly wasn't worth sticking any money into it. The motor ran, but it was finicky and occasionally stopped. I found other problems with the arm. Back into the bag and back into the garbage can it went where it spent another night.

The next day I remembered that I had a tonearm in a box not being used. It was the "AR" tonearm. I thought I might be able to fit this table with it, so back into the garbage can I went and fetched the table once again.

I removed the bottom cover and found that the insides were filled with Technics circuit boards. There was strobe card, a nice driver board for the motor, a speed selector that was via a switch and a speed fine tune control. After spraying the the speed control pot and rotating it a bunch of times, the motor ran smoothly. I later discovered some board mounted adjustment pots and Deoxit 5'd them as well.

I cut the plastic control panel in half, saving the motor speed and fine tune controls and junked the tonearm. I found a nice piece of 1/4" oak in the drops bin. The plinth of the table was also covered in walnut simulated vinyl that was peeling off, so I helped it all peel off. I had left over Benjiman Moore black pearl paint from my Empire Grenedier project, so I use that to paint the plinth

Here are some photos of the work in progress and the completed or mostly completed project.

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

The cartridge I put in is an Audio Technica AT92e. Nothing fancy (cheap elliptical), but it sounds better here then in the garbage can.

Wayner

nice job, is it working 100%?

Yes, its kind of amazing actually. As I understand it, most if not all of the MCS stuff was built by Technics. Even the platter has the Technics logo and part number on it.

The bearing well was filled with black crud. A bunch of Q-tips later its nice a clean. I use Slick 50 as a bearing lube on all of my TTs. With the belt off, one good spin on the platter would make it spin for quite a while.

I should have taken "before" picture(s).

MCS is Panasonic/Technics to the best of my knowledge.

I have a 2500 that has a Panasonic badge on front, MCS labeling on top and J.C. Penney on the back.
It seems to be a mix of various models from the Technics SL series.

Mine has a MDF plinth with black laminate surface.

IMG-20180130-1143038.jpg

IMG-20180126-1507189.jpg

I like it a lot.

Eric

Looks like my arm board exactly before I took the saw to it and took off the back half. The MCS 6502 arm did not have a removable headshell, it was fixed and did not have slots, only holes to mount the cartridge. The head was also loaded with a brass weighted piece that fit between the cartridge and the head.

I know that MCS stood for Modular Component Systems under the JCPenny brand. Either way, it looks like Panasonic/Technics was indeed the maker of the components.

Might be interesting to see what the electronics look like.

I also wonder who made Reader's Digest stuff.

As I understand it, most if not all of the MCS stuff was built by Technics. Even the platter has the Technics logo and part number on it.

The better turntables were sourced from Technics. Of their other components, Technics did provide some pieces, but most came from NEC, and a handful of other companies. No Modular Component Systems receivers were made by Technics.

I have a 2500 that has a Panasonic badge on front, MCS labeling on top and J.C. Penney on the back.

That model was from a one time system called MCS - but the MCS stood for Matched Component Systems, so it wasn't from the main MCS line. It was part of a Panasonic system that was sold at Penney's for one year. It was sold along side a receiver, or one with either a built in 8-track or cassette recorder - and a set of speakers. Not real Modular Component Systems pieces (aside from the similar "MCS" label), and no three year warranty.

It seems to be a mix of various models from the Technics SL series.

Mine has a MDF plinth with black laminate surface.

IMG-20180130-1143038.jpg

IMG-20180126-1507189.jpg

I like it a lot.

Eric

That's a very nice looking MCS table. I have not seen that one before.

Many of the MCS tables were made by Panasonic and were similar to Technics models. In some cases, the differences were mostly cosmetic. In other cases, they added features or fixed problem areas. Some models, the MCS 6600, for example, were made by Mitsubishi.

I have currently have two MCS tables, a 6601, which is an improved version of the Technics SL-2000 and a 6700, which is an improved version of the Technics SL-1950. They are both rock solid dependable direct drive tables. I got them both at the same Goodwill, about two and a half years apart. With the Panasonic/Technics mid-mass arms, they work well with a wide variety of cartridges.

I've tried a variety of cartridges on mine. I'm currently running the original Shure 2215 (an OEM version of the M93E) with a NOS Shure stylus on my 6601 and an AT3600L on the 6700.

These are attractive, well made, dependable turntables that tend to fly under the radar, and therefore, tend to sell for less than the similar Technics models (plus, I think they are better looking than the comparable Technics models, but that's a matter of personal preference). I'm always on the lookout for them locally, as they made great tables for friends and family getting into vinyl. They typically cost less than a new Crosley, but are WAY, WAY better tables.

MCS 6601:

Shapes-of-Things-2.jpg

MCS 6700:

MCS-6700-1.jpg

That's a very nice looking MCS table. I have not seen that one before.

Many of the MCS tables were made by Panasonic and were similar to Technics models. In some cases, the differences were mostly cosmetic. In other cases, they added features or fixed problem areas. Some models, the MCS 6600, for example, were made by Mitsubishi.

I have currently have two MCS tables, a 6601, which is an improved version of the Technics SL-2000 and a 6700, which is an improved version of the Technics SL-1950. They are both rock solid dependable direct drive tables. I got them both at the same Goodwill, about two and a half years apart. With the Panasonic/Technics mid-mass arms, they work well with a wide variety of cartridges.

I've tried a variety of cartridges on mine. I'm currently running the original Shure 2215 (an OEM version of the M93E) with a NOS Shure stylus on my 6601 and an AT3600L on the 6700.

These are attractive, well made, dependable turntables that tend to fly under the radar, and therefore, tend to sell for less than the similar Technics models (plus, I think they are better looking than the comparable Technics models, but that's a matter of personal preference). I'm always on the lookout for them locally, as they made great tables for friends and family getting into vinyl. They typically cost less than a new Crosley, but are WAY, WAY better tables.

MCS 6601:

Shapes-of-Things-2.jpg

MCS 6700:

MCS-6700-1.jpg

Your 6601 has a very similar Arm as my 2500, and I also have that same headshell.

Modular or Matched MCS, many shared components with Panatechnics.

Mine is solidly built an beats the silvery plastic tables in looks IMO.

Eric

Your 6601 has a very similar Arm as my 2500, and I also have that same headshell.

Modular or Matched MCS, many shared components with Panatechnics.

Mine is solidly built an beats the silvery plastic tables in looks IMO.

Eric

The black headshell in those photos came with the MCS 6601 (along with the original Shure 2215 cartridge).

The MCS 6700 originally came with a silver version of the same headshell (photo borrowed from the internet):

5febc41aa2a7b4dd71baa2ff4203b0ed.jpg

My MCS 6700 came without a headshell/cartridge. I am currently running an AT3600L on it mounted on a Pioneer Magnesium headshell:

AT3600-L-1.jpg

The-Cure-Greatest-Hits-MCS-6700.jpg

I found that a used, slightly stretched AR-XA belt fit the table perfectly. That is what's in there now and the strobe has indicated that it is a nice, steady speed.

I have also been thinking about putting a few pounds of plasticlay in to the base. There is lots of room and the added weight might take away any unwanted resonance, tho I haven't spent lots of time listening to it yet.

Nice rebuild. :)

I must admit, I probably would have just stripped it for parts and thrown it out. You gave it a new life. Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom