The biggest and baddest CD/DVD/SACD Players of all time

The '45A was somewhat a revelation as a CD player, and being mutimedia is a real plus. I don't feel a pressing need to upgrade, but if the right allmode showed up at a nice price---.
I've also considered a better CD only, but limiting playback options in that setup isn't a plus.

There was a time when I was hot for a Philips LHH1000, or it's stablemate the Marantz CD12. Of course, it was WAY beyond my budget.

I like the Philips 16x4 chipset. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's ancient. I have a small collection of Adcom GCD-600s, they use the TDA1541 16x4 chips, but (I guess) not the matching Philips digital filter.

Photo stolen from Stereophile
https://www.stereophile.com/content/philips-lhh1000-cd-player

phiips1000.jpg

IMG_20181010_092438.jpg
Best I can produce is a Marantz BD8002, Blueray, DVD, CD no SACD. Heavy at 23#s.

Last edited:
I have both an Oppo BDP-95 and a BDP-105. I have not compared them back to back yet but some people have said that the 95 is actually slightly better for 2-channel.

I also have a couple CDPs with well regarded R-2R ladder DACs but none that play Blu-Ray, SACD etc.

I briefly owned an Oppo UDP-205 but couldn't afford to keep it. That's how I ended up with the 105.

Anymore I will probably concentrate on good USB DACs as the only time I really use the disc spinners is when I haven't ripped a new acquisition yet. All CDs get ripped and saved to several portable hard drives and a NAS. Will keep the Oppo 105 for sure as that is one of the few players that apparently can rip SACD.

The largest single CD player I personally have is the mighty Technics SL-P1200:

Is that a... pitch slider?

Do LaserDisc players count? If so, the Pioneer Elite DVL-90 DVD/LD/CD combo player oughta qualify:

I'm jealous of that. I have a similar CD only changer but would love to get my hands on something like that. I'm assuming being an "Elite" that it would have AC-3 capability? I do have a LD player but it's not even hooked up because it's just a historical curiosity. Now that would be useful, although to play EVERY format I would still need three players hooked up (I also have also a Toshiba HD-DVD player on a high shelf somewhere because there were a couple of them at my local thrift, and to my knowledge there has never been a player made that did both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. And of course I'd want all the audio formats as well.)

I own this one.

Toshiba SD-9200N. Weighs in at 27.5 pounds and has a copper chassis. Cost $2k in 2000. The faceplate slides down so the drawer can pop out. Plays CDs, DVDs, HDCDs, and DVD-Audio (brand new at the time).

20180825_114144.jpg

20180824_221716.jpg

20180824_221735.jpg

My three gargantuan Sony 400-disc CD/DVD/SACD multidisc players are among the biggest, if not badest. I forget the model numbers, but they have a 985 in them. I can't physically get down low enough to the cabinet to read the numbers, but I think two of them are 985s and the other may begin with an 8. They are essentially the same, though.

My three gargantuan Sony 400-disc CD/DVD/SACD multidisc players are among the biggest, if not badest. I forget the model numbers, but they have a 985 in them. I can't physically get down low enough to the cabinet to read the numbers, but I think two of them are 985s and the other may begin with an 8. They are essentially the same, though.

Not sure if you're referring to the model I already posted.

x158DVPX777-f.jpeg

Maybe this if you're numbers are correct Sony DVP CX985V

x158dvpx985-f.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom