The biggest and baddest CD/DVD/SACD Players of all time

Is that a... pitch slider?
Yep! :D Technics made a line of CD players meant for professional use; the SL-P1200 was presumably meant to be the CD equivalent of the SL-1200 turntable. My SL-P1200 actually was used at WGBH-FM, according to etching on its front panel. Of course, the SL-P1200 wasn't the largest of Technics' professional CD players; that honor would go to its predecessor, the massive SL-P50.
I'm jealous of that. I have a similar CD only changer but would love to get my hands on something like that. I'm assuming being an "Elite" that it would have AC-3 capability? I do have a LD player but it's not even hooked up because it's just a historical curiosity. Now that would be useful, although to play EVERY format I would still need three players hooked up (I also have also a Toshiba HD-DVD player on a high shelf somewhere because there were a couple of them at my local thrift, and to my knowledge there has never been a player made that did both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. And of course I'd want all the audio formats as well.)
Actually, several of Pioneer's LaserDisc players featured AC-3 RF out; both my CLD-D504 and CLD-D604 LD/CD players have it, as does my DVL-909 DVD/LD/CD combo player. The DVL-90 has the trademark rosewood sides and urushi finish of other Elite series components, but I believe it's internally similar to the DVL-909's predecessor, the DVL-700 (no component video outs for the DVD section, unlike the DVL-909). As for HD-DVD players, I do own a Toshiba HD-XA1, which was their first TOTL player, but wasn't sure whether or not it fit the scope of this thread. It goes nicely with my Sony SL-HF900 Betamax VCR in the "Hall o' Fail". ;)
-Adam

HPIM0272 (2).JPG

This is my heavy weight CD DVD SACD stack. Top, Marantz DV8400 DVD-A SACD CD universal player, 15 pounds. Middle, Technics SH-X1000 DAC, 44 pounds. Bottom, Sony ES CDP-608ESD CD Player, 28 Pounds. 608 and Marantz used as CD Transports for my Technics DAC since I don't have the matching Technics SL-Z1000 CD Transport. Marantz also used for 2 and 5 channel DVD, DVD-A and SACD playback.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Marantz UD9004. 42 lbs. Plays CD, DVD, DVD Audio, SACD, Blu-Ray. $6000
What no CD+G or HD DVD? :rolleyes:

Marantz UD9004. 42 lbs. Plays CD, DVD, DVD Audio, SACD, Blu-Ray. $6000
What no CD+G or HD DVD? :rolleyes:

Just curious, is there any universal player that will play SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, Blu-Ray, AND HD-DVD?

I've got every format covered (well, I don't have a 4K player) but it takes a minimum of two players, because my Oppos won't play HD-DVD. Found a Toshiba HD-DVD in the thrift store and it was $12 of cheap entertainment to know that I *could* play them if I ever found one, which I haven't.

I guess that's three players if you count LD, but I know that no LD player will also play Blu-Ray etc.

Just curious, is there any universal player that will play SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, Blu-Ray, AND HD-DVD?

I've got every format covered (well, I don't have a 4K player) but it takes a minimum of two players, because my Oppos won't play HD-DVD. Found a Toshiba HD-DVD in the thrift store and it was $12 of cheap entertainment to know that I *could* play them if I ever found one, which I haven't.

I guess that's three players if you count LD, but I know that no LD player will also play Blu-Ray etc.

I do not think HD DVD ever went beyond the Toshiba examples and while hundreds of titles were released, the number of discs sold was not great. I believe that all titles released on HD DVD were also eventually released on Blu-Ray so there is not a lot of reason for having a HD DVD unit unless you already have some discs for it. I am surprised that your HD DVD unit had no discs with it. I mean it is not like the owner got a newer player.

I do not know of any multi-format player that will handle HDCD. Oddly enough I know of no home component gear ever other than PCs that could handle WMA, although a car I bought in 2006 could play it. There were some odd formats around like VideoCD - intended as a step up from VHS, and the previously mentioned CD+G. That was a 1980s format that displayed still pictures on your TV and played audio. It had slow zoom as well, like some of those low-budget History Channel programs. The main intended purpose was education and only Philips ever made a unit to play it.

When DVD first came out, I recall a unit - don't remember the vendor - that played LD and DVD, The LD platter had a DVD sized recess in the middle. Presumably it played CDs as well.

.EDIT: It turns out CD+G is popular for karaoke players - puts lyrics on a screen.

Last edited:
I do not think HD DVD ever went beyond the Toshiba examples and while hundreds of titles were released, the number of discs sold was not great. I believe that all titles released on HD DVD were also eventually released on Blu-Ray so there is not a lot of reason for having a HD DVD unit unless you already have some discs for it. I am surprised that your HD DVD unit had no discs with it. I mean it is not like the owner got a newer player.

I do not know of any multi-format player that will handle HDCD. Oddly enough I know of no home component gear ever other than PCs that could handle WMA, although a car I bought in 2006 could play it. There were some odd formats around like VideoCD - intended as a step up from VHS, and the previously mentioned CD+G. That was a 1980s format that displayed still pictures on your TV and played audio. It had slow zoom as well, like some of those low-budget History Channel programs. The main intended purpose was education and only Philips ever made a unit to play it.

When DVD first came out, I recall a unit - don't remember the vendor - that played LD and DVD, The LD platter had a DVD sized recess in the middle. Presumably it played CDs as well.

.EDIT: It turns out CD+G is popular for karaoke players - puts lyrics on a screen.

Something like the pioneer LD player in post 29. I also have a pioneer LD player that is a lower model but same with the smaller drawer for DVD and CD. Sitting in a hotel right now and dont remember the model number of mine.

Something like the pioneer LD player in post 29. I also have a pioneer LD player that is a lower model but same with the smaller drawer for DVD and CD. Sitting in a hotel right now and dont remember the model number of mine.

The Pioneer unit in post 29 has separate drawers for LD and CD/DVD. The unit I remember seeing in a magazine had one drawer. The LD sized platter had a DVD sized recess in the center.

I do not know of any multi-format player that will handle HDCD.

Getting a little off topic, but...

Oppo BDP-9x and -10x will do it. UDP-20x will not, as apparently an important chip was going EOL. This is one reason why I have a 95 and a 105, the other being that if I ever get seriously into SACD the 103/105 apparently has a chipset that will allow you to rip SACDs with a fairly easy procedure.

I don't know about the 83 and 83SE, never had one of those.

I mostly use Foobar for playback these days and it has a plug in (available, you have to deliberately install it though) that will decode HDCD. I don't have enough that I haven't bothered to research if Kodi does it as well, now I need to check.

I have a Pioneer DVL-700 LD player it has a seperate drawer for cd's or dvd's. or you can open the LD drawer and put the disc in the central recess. Will play cd's but I prefer my Sylvania 1560 cd player modded by Van Alstine.

Yep! :D Technics made a line of CD players meant for professional use; the SL-P1200 was presumably meant to be the CD equivalent of the SL-1200 turntable. My SL-P1200 actually was used at WGBH-FM, according to etching on its front panel. Of course, the SL-P1200 wasn't the largest of Technics' professional CD players; that honor would go to its predecessor, the massive SL-P50.

A bad picture of a Technics SLP-1300.

My was a present from an audiophile collector some what distant family member.

Looking to update it with a more recent DAC. :music:
IMGP5864u.JPG

Back
Top Bottom