How good are Class D amplifiers now?

It's not a question of using a switcher or not. The SDS flavor is simply too bright.

I use a Bruno Putzy's designed Ncore NC502mp in the garage system which I find to be quite neutral in tonal balance.

Ah, then you know better than I....via another's forum post.

You also presume I haven't heard Hypex amps.

Last edited:
Ah, then you know better than I....via another's forum post.
I trusted Bill's opinion over a period of several years of posting his results.

You also presume I haven't heard Hypex amps.
Why do you think that? It is, however, true that you won't find one at a *budget* price. My generic OEM model in a very basic aluminum chassis ran $800.

garage2018.jpg

Last edited:
I've followed this thread from the beginning and noticed that the interest in the classDaudio offerings has really cooled off over the last couple of years. This thread was going great guns for awhile but I suspect the dwindling interest may be due to cheaper and better sounding class d options. Before pulling the trigger make sure you're not investing in yesterday's technology.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

It's not a question of using a switcher or not. The SDS flavor is simply too bright.

I use a Bruno Putzy's designed Ncore NC502mp in the garage system which I find to be quite neutral in tonal balance.

Everyone, hears differently so this is just my experience. I will say I don't find my SDS amp bright in comparison to something like a TPA3118/10 or Tripath TA2020/21. Quite the opposite in fact, I find the highs a bit tempered. I'm using arguably "bright" speakers and can still hear to 17kHz. My preamp is considered "warm" though but even when I drove the amp directly with several dacs that had volume control (passive, digital, and active) I never found the amp bright. I've run it with KEFs, two pair of Tektons, and Maggies (MMGs).

I even lent the amp to my buddy while his amp was in the shop.This person uses Pass Labs gear and had just come off a First Watt SIT before moving up to Pass Labs. He liked the amp as well but obliviously went with Pass Labs. Anyway, trying before buying is the way to go as we all have different gear, rooms, preferences, etc.

I've listened to my friend's dual mono Amp Camp Amps designed by Nelson Pass and prefer my Volt+D and it's not even close. FleaWatt who builds custom class D's says in his blog that the 3116 betters his ACA.

Does anyone expect a new $500 ClassDAudio SDS 250 to be as good as a Pass X-150.5? The current model is the .8 version @ $6750. A used X-150.5 costs more than $2K.

Lets compare Apples to Apples.

I've listened to my friend's dual mono Amp Camp Amps designed by Nelson Pass and prefer my Volt+D and it's not even close.
Pass is great about giving away (simple) circuits that first timers can build inexpensively. I like the way he concluded the paper:

"Remember, the whole idea is for you first-timers to get your feet wet in the shallow end of the pool. "

Shallow indeed. His production designs, however, are a completely different story. And require more than $14.25 worth of parts. :)

I thought you were all about building things yourself. Try a Zen9 using JFETs and a linear power supply.

I'd put the PS Audio monoblocks up against the Pass.
Bascom King is another seasoned designer. I would expect the BHK Mono 300 to hold up quite well against the Pass "dot 8" family.

Last edited:
FleaWatt is a gifted builder of class D amps. He specialized in the Texas Instrument TPA3110, 3116 and 3118 chip boards.
"Gifted builder" connecting finished boards to a chassis?

bypassfront.jpg

All-righty then!

Back in the 70s, I assembled Dynaco kits. The process was decidedly more complex than assembling my current Raspberry PI / Allo DigiOne endpoint. Actually, the most time consuming part of that process was building the Zebra multi-stacked case! While I don't proffer myself as *gifted*, the Dynakits took a heck of a lot more effort!

Last edited:
I have no opinion or experience with Class D amps. I would have no use for one anyway but if they sound good, it's cool to read about others experiences with them

"Gifted builder" connecting finished boards to a chassis?

View attachment 1306269

All-righty then!

Back in the 70s, I assembled Dynaco kits. The process was decidedly more complex than assembling my current Raspberry PI / Allo DigiOne endpoint. Actually, the most time consuming part of that process was building the Zebra multi-stacked case! While I don't proffer myself as *gifted*, the Dynakits took a heck of a lot more effort!

I have kind of wondered about different DIY “builders” as I surf the interwebs researching such things. I will probably assemble my own to try out, with my back ground I really wouldn’t consider it building anything.

:beerchug:

Assembling, as with a kit.

Building implies design, and layout of component parts and tooling the chassis and housing, if any.

Craftsmanship is the art of fine building, prototype development generally looks like a dog's breakfast compared to the finished result tho it may perform to perfection.
I'm a sound first guy, but elegant layout and solid well finished construction is a joy in itself. I admire those that do it well

Building implies design, and layout of component parts and tooling the chassis and housing, if any.

Craftsmanship is the art of fine building, prototype development generally looks like a dog's breakfast compared to the finished result tho it may perform to perfection.
I'm a sound first guy, but elegant layout and solid well finished construction is a joy in itself. I admire those that do it well

Yeah, I am involved with a lot of Gas Turbine control prototyping for the Navy, Never is really “pretty” until the proof of concept install onboard the first ship. Rarely plug and play either. Mostly chasing down interference sources.

Not a kit but more a work of art - Fleawatt's steam punk class D.

IMG_1927.jpg

I have kind of wondered about different DIY “builders” as I surf the interwebs researching such things. I will probably assemble my own to try out, with my back ground I really wouldn’t consider it building anything.
Assembly can be fun at times. Building a couple of Dynakits as a teenager gave me some foundational knowledge of how circuits work, using solder, etc.

Some sixteen years ago, I shuffled some components around for an office system and was in need of a preamp or simple gain controls. So, I built a simple and homely looking passive using mostly Radio Shack parts. Ironically, the most expensive parts were left over knobs from a faceplate change to an ARC preamp. What I (surprisingly) found was that with the high output GamuT CD-1 player I had at the time, it sounded better than going through the SP-9! After posting my results, I got a request to post the (simple) recipe. :)

I built another using better parts - a Par Metals case, DACT attenuators, Cardas connectors and JPS Labs wire styled after the Mark Levinson JC-2. Used it in the system for about ten years. No longer in use. Anyone need a nice passive?

Almost three years ago, I learned of the Raspberry PI platform as a replacement for the Squeezebox Touch. At the time, there weren't any pre-built models available so it took a bit of DIY assembly. Serves to be an inexpensive great bang-for-the-buck endpoint. I use it daily in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom