bluenote79

I'm relatively new to the game and am trying to make a decision between purchasing some vintage gear or going with new gear. I would greatly appreciate some basic advice from the masters here.

My prerequisites:

First and foremost, I am tired of my current vintage gear breaking down on me. I want a stereo that works and sounds good. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but it does need to work.
I do like the warm sound of the vintage gear that I've listened to over a cold/digital one. (Is it possible to get a warm sound from any of the new gear out there? Teach me Yoda!)
If I were to go new, my budget is $4000 tops for receiver, speakers, turntable, and DAC.

I currently have a pair of Fisher XP 7's, powered by a Pioneer SX6000 and spinning records on my Dual 1257 turntable. I am not happy with this set up. I like the Pioneer, but I keep having trouble with it and it has returned to the shop more times than I care to admit. Also, over time it has all started to sound a little too muddy to me. Someone else in the group hinted that it may be due to my speakers.

The choices:

USED/VINTAGE:
I'm looking at purchasing a used combo of McIntosh C24 Preamp & Dynaco ST150 for $1100 all together. They have both been recently serviced. I'm also looking at a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers from 1980 for $425. Thoughts and recommendations on this gear would be greatly appreciated. I don't have to go this route, but if it seems like a good deal and it works with my budget. I would also end up buying a new turntable. Either Rega Planar 2 or Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB or what someone here recommends based on years of experience and superiority to me.

NEW:
The guy at the hifi store recommend these components with my budget:
Rega Brio receiver
Paradigm Monitor SE's
Rega Planar 2 turntable

Thanks so much for any and all help!
--Brad

Have your speakers been recapped? I have heard a few set of those and they never impressed me much, even recapped. They are beautiful and well built but not among the best sounding .

Don't spend a lot on that receiver since it is not likely worth what you keep putting into it.

I would start over either way.

Oh and you need to hear the Hereseys. There are usually two opinions on them: love or hate. I don't like horns so I do t care for them.....but they do sound better than what you have.

Hopefully the thread will stay on track. You say you're new hear vintage v new threads often turn into politics or religion, that is, very polarizing , contentious and short lived. I hope that doesn't happen here and you glean something useful.

That said, if you're not buying from a known qualified source and you don't know a good tech , I'd recommend new. The c24 is a nice unit. If I'm not mistaken it has a problematic volume control that's not easily sourced. Might be a reason to stay clear of it. Like BB , I didn't care for Hereseys. I have liked other klipsch speakers. So:dunno:.

Another thought. You keep mentioning receiver. Personally I care little for current local fm content. It opens it up a bit if you consider an integrated amp.

So another thought , if you got say, a Mac 4100 from audio classics or Mcintosh audio (a dealer with a warranty) for a few hundred you can get a very decent DAC
That leaves a decent budget for a TT and speakers. Those are suggestions. You have a decent enough budget to do pretty well. Take your time and listen.
Good luck!

Have listened to some newer gears, how about a trying the following.

A new Yamaha integrated amp : Yamaha-R-N602.html

A set of English speakers : Castle, Spendor, KEF speakers.

A Denon DL-301 MKII cartridge for the turn table. :idea:

Unless you're buying restored gear or are ok with possibly running into repair costs and have a good tech at the ready I'd recommend new. You mentioned the Mac gear is serviced but unless you see receipts for the work done "serviced" can mean as little as hitting the controls with Deox and blowing the dust out of the unit.

It's just a thought, but if I were planning on spending about $4000, I'd probably be looking at spending at least $1500 to $2000 of that on the speakers, and the remainder on the rest. Just as a ball-park starting figure, you understand . . .

I would start by listening to a number of different speakers in roughly that price range; you're the one who is going to be living with them, so you should be picking something that you've listened to carefully and really liked. Try to include different kinds like electrostatics or planar speakers along with more conventional designs to get an idea of the strengths and limitations of each.

I've owned various mixes of new, vintage, and DIY gear over the years. One component that strikes me as an exceptional value (if you can meet the placement requirements) is a pair of Magnepan MMGi planar loudspeakers. They are available on a 60-day, satisfaction-guaranteed-or-money-back trial, for $650, either direct from the factory (no sales tax), or from a dealer (no shipping cost). The placement requirement is that they need 3-4 feet of space between them and the wall behind them, due to their dipole design (sound comes equally from the front and the back of each speaker). Not many customers return them.

https://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGi

No affiliation.

I prefer new due to reliability and my inability to repair electronics. And I like an integrated amp with separate tuner vs a receiver.

As for speakers, while I still tend to prefer new, almost anyone can do the basic repair/maintenance many vintage speakers may need to bring them up to snuff. Recap, reseal and added bracing don't require a lot of skill. So I can deal with vintage speakers. I have new speakers on my main rig, and restored vintage speakers in the bedroom.

I think it best to find a speaker first, then the electronics. For vinyl, back when I spun it, a Thorens TD-160 or -165 was my own preference, and they are surprisingly easy to maintain.

Mostly, put a lot of thought into your placement options for speakers. That can help a lot in making a speaker choice more likely to work well for you. A lesson I learned the hard way.

I tend to think of Yamaha integrated amps as the Honda of audio electronics. Good solid design and reliability at reasonable cost. But speakers first is usually the best approach, imo, so that you know what you need from an amp. For instance, if Magnepan were your speaker choice, then something beefier than Yamaha would probably be advisable.

Another suggestion.
I see you're a new member.
For subscribers of AK, there is a forum called Barter Town.
We as a group tend to be hoarders (er, I mean collectors:oops:).
Also we're a bit like drug addicts chasing the dragon.
BT ,is a buying selling forum.
You can often find pieces (from new (nearly new) to very vintage), generally better cared for, better serviced, for less than other used sources).
People are constantly changing, updating, downsizing, so there tends to be a nice rotation and generally better prices. (I think we like to keep the gear in the family. As with anything else, do your own research. That is, know what you're buying. Also if another Aker is local , they'll often be happy to audition stuff for you.

If you stay here a bit, you'll hear (read ?) the term, "listen for yourself". It's sounds obvious but bottom line is the system only has to please you and what we recommend with the best intentions and experience may not be the sound you're looking for .

The Heresy is a fine speaker, why it's been in production virtually unchanged for 5 decades. Some say it's bass shy, not so, if placed as designed there's ample and it's tight and musical.

Some will post here how the Heresy "needs" all this money spent on upgrades, don't listen. Sure, any speaker can be made better if you throw more money at it, but that's for you to decide if your ears hear the value in the added expense.

If you can get a pair in fair condition the going rate is around $400, they're very popular so if you decide they're not for you then it's easy enough to recoup your investment, might even turn a profit depending on finish and condition.

Last edited:
Making a system "warm" sounding: remove mids 2dB, remove highs 3dB.
If you want a zero hassle setup, just buy some active speakers. Have a look at KEF. (or the pro stuff like Adams and Genelec "ones")

I daily drive a 31 year old vehicle. It does everything I need it to and looks cool as well. It needs TLC. It has aroiund 600K miles now. I have replaced a lot. Engine, steering, brake system, transfercase, paint (twice). It's not quiet on the road, you feel the road.

Sometimes I would rather sit in a nice new car, detached from the road and the noises. Then I do that. Like once. Then the wife drives the Audi again and I return to the 4-Runner.

NEW:
The guy at the hifi store recommend these components with my budget:
Rega Brio receiver
Paradigm Monitor SE's
Rega Planar 2 turntable
Did you like this setup? It's always best to buy what your own ears tell you is good. Who is the dealer? Knowing the store or stores you can work and checking their websites to see the products they carry will make it easier to offer suggestions as to alternatives to audition.

Just in case you have a chance to hear them, and since you mentioned preferring warm sound, the Marantz PM6006 amplifier with Vandersteen 1Ci speakers could make a good combination. I love the sound of the Brio, but I don't like the idea of living with an amplifier so bereft of features that it doesn't even have a balance control. As to turntable, I like Rega's line-up, but I might step up one grade to the Planar 3. The Planar 2 sounds good, but it has a factory-fixed anti-skate setting that could be a bit limiting should you want to explore different cartridge choices. There are enough other differences that you should be able to hear a clear sonic difference between them, if your dealer has or is willing to set up both 'tables with the same cartridge. After several years, I still love my previous generation Rega RP3.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/vandersteen-1ci-loudspeakers/
https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm6006/review

With a receiver, integrated, separate with all parts still available, and a compenent tech willing to restore to the full monty, you won't be having issues again and again. They typically perform like new for many years, so there's that. It's not typically cheap to do this the right way.

Your story sounds like you don't have that kinda tech, or you haven't given him the correct instructions.

The idea floated above on going with active speaks, a nice preamp and source of your choice doesn't sound too bad.

Unless you are a die-hard radio fan, I'd recommend an integrated amp or separates (you can grab an inexpensive, but good tuner on the used market, or just stream radio stations from your computer).

Bang for the Buck--take a serious look at the new Yamaha A-Sxx01 series integrateds. On-board phono stage, built-in DAC, solid sound/build quality and a remote. Right there is half your system for less than half your budget, and they are available through Crutchfield and Amazon with liberal return policies should you not be satisfied. And almost all of the models in the line are available in silver or black with a "classic" appearance.

Not of much help with speakers--I haven't shopped "new" speakers much in the last 20 years, and speaker choice is highly subjective as to the listener and the room in which they will reside.

I am on the hate side of the love/hate relationship with Heresys, but you may love them. I find them "screechy" under power and seriously lacking in bass for a cabinet the size of a dorm refrigerator--far better Klipsch products out there for same or even less money (Quartet, Chorus, Forte).

Have your speakers been recapped? I have heard a few set of those and they never impressed me much, even recapped. They are beautiful and well built but not among the best sounding .

Don't spend a lot on that receiver since it is not likely worth what you keep putting into it.

I would start over either way.

The speakers have been recapped, yes. Fully serviced. I am planning on starting over. A lot of good advice here.

Back
Top Bottom