Bluetooth for cars

ZR9B

Anyone have a aftermarket bluetooth receiver for a cellphone? The kind that would plug into the 12v power supply and go through FM. I bought one from autozone and it sounds like crap....just wondering what people are using?

While Bluetooth is certainly getting better, it still can't compare to a wired connection.

When you turn the Bluetooth signal into an FM signal you are further limited to the restricted frequency response and dynamic range of the FM band.

There are many decent head units available that have USB or AUX inputs that probably don't cost much more than what you have already wasted.

Check Crutchfield.com for some ideas

Ya...I know.....I wasted 20 bucks. I was hoping something cheep for the 04 dodge ram.

While Bluetooth is certainly getting better, it still can't compare to a wired connection.

When you turn the Bluetooth signal into an FM signal you are further limited to the restricted frequency response and dynamic range of the FM band.

There are many decent head units available that have USB or AUX inputs that probably don't cost much more than what you have already wasted.

Check Crutchfield.com for some ideas

While this is a nice idea when doable, and nice when you can install one. some vehicles are stuck with the factory head unit at minimum. I own such a car. 1999 Ford Taurus SE wagon. My head unit also has built in Electronic Automatic Temperature Control. No installation kit exists for this car, the factory head unit is THE only option. Some of us still need to know which devices like this are somewhat decent. Just some thoughts.

Neither does mine. Mine is AM/FM, and cassette. CD changer controls. I might be able to get the CD changer cable for my car, and once I can find out which wires carry audio, I might be able to make that function as an Aux input. By wiring those connections to an RCA Jack and plugging in a Stereo miniplug to RCA adapter.

While this is a nice idea when doable, and nice when you can install one. some vehicles are stuck with the factory head unit at minimum. I own such a car. 1999 Ford Taurus SE wagon. My head unit also has built in Electronic Automatic Temperature Control. No installation kit exists for this car, the factory head unit is THE only option. Some of us still need to know which devices like this are somewhat decent. Just some thoughts.

This one wont work? I have an 03 SE wagon with the square bezel and the local car stereo said no sweat to take the bezel off and put in a DIN unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install-Taurus-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL2LWO

Problem 1: EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control). Problem 2, the climate control switchgear is in the same radio module (if this car had manual knob climate controls instead, there's an installation kit for a DIN Radio). Which leads to Problem 3, there is no aftermarket radio installable or installation kit short of a wholesale conversion to manual climate control, and the radio module is not the only thing necessary to do so. The 1998-1999 CD changer for this car, happens to be very hard to find, as is the bezel to mount it, it's only used on 1998-1999 Tauruses/Sables/Continentals only. Bodyblue, your 2000 up Taurus does not have this problem, much easier to install aftermarket audio in. As Ford did some major dashboard changes with the major facelift. Some information to know.

Problem 1: EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control). Problem 2, the climate control switchgear is in the same radio module (if this car had manual knob climate controls instead, there's an installation kit for a DIN Radio). Which leads to Problem 3, there is no aftermarket radio installable or installation kit short of a wholesale conversion to manual climate control, and the radio module is not the only thing necessary to do so. The 1998-1999 CD changer for this car, happens to be very hard to find, as is the bezel to mount it, it's only used on 1998-1999 Tauruses/Sables/Continentals only. Bodyblue, your 2000 up Taurus does not have this problem, much easier to install aftermarket audio in. As Ford did some major dashboard changes with the major facelift. Some information to know.

I figured it was the EATC that was the problem.

I was lucky in that mine came with CD player. I just had new speakers installed for a bit of an upgrade.

I figured it was the EATC that was the problem.

I was lucky in that mine came with CD player. I just had new speakers installed for a bit of an upgrade.

Yours did, in 1999 no CD, unless you bought that changer. A major improvement in your generation on how climate control, and infotainment systems were addressed. Which should have been done by 1998. Ford on these aspects, with these cars were behind the curve. Many cars by 1996-1999 had in dash CD or in dash CD/Cassette as commonly fitted. EATC is indeed the problem, if the car was manual climate control, no issues, the installation kit for those is a proven, works well item, many of those cars with manual systems, got audio upgrades when owners desired them. And successfully.

20180615_120034.jpg 20180611_163622.jpg
Yours did, in 1999 no CD, unless you bought that changer. A major improvement in your generation on how climate control, and infotainment systems were addressed. Which should have been done by 1998. Ford on these aspects, with these cars were behind the curve. Many cars by 1996-1999 had in dash CD or in dash CD/Cassette as commonly fitted. EATC is indeed the problem, if the car was manual climate control, no issues, the installation kit for those is a proven, works well item, many of those cars with manual systems, got audio upgrades when owners desired them. And successfully.

The changer was in the dash? I have seen the changers in the consoles on models with the floor mounted shifter and console. I always liked the Taurus bench seat with the flip down console........I like my years of Taurus and before your gen, but Ford went to crazy with the oval theme in that gen.

I was actually at a Lincoln dealer looking at MKCs when, much to my salespersons dismay I saw the Taurus on the used side. I told my wife the night before that I was going to get the MKC if I could get it for 38K out the door.......she laughed her ass off when I came home in the Taurus this Aug. I just could not write that check. I have had more fun with the Ford than a lot of sports cars I have had. In 03 they added double door seals all around the doors to make it quieter....but they squeaked like hell til I cleaned and lubed them.

View attachment 1307100 View attachment 1307102

The changer was in the dash? I have seen the changers in the consoles on models with the floor mounted shifter and console. I like my years of Taurus and before your gen, but Ford went to crazy with the oval theme in that gen.

I was actually at a Lincoln dealer looking at MKCs when, much to my salespersons dismay I saw the Taurus on the used side. I told my wife the night before that I was going to get the MIC if I could get it for 38K out the door.......she laughed her ass off when I came home in the Taurus this Aug. I just could not write that check. I have had more fun with the Ford than a lot of sports cars I have had. In 03 they added double door seals all around the doors to make it quieter....but they squeaked like hell til I cleaned and lubed them.

Changer on a 1999 wagon was not in the dash. It was in the rear of the station wagon, in the right side where the cargo net was installed. A longer cable to install said changer also. In the dash, AM/FM cassette period except for low line fleet cars, which had AM/FM only. 2000 up Tauruses and Sables were the first to get in dash CD players as available options.

Pull the head unit out and see if there’s a jumper plug or similar on the back.
When I was in the car stereo business I used to be able to figure out how to use that as an aux input. Sometimes you’d need to ground a connection to trigger the six input.

Cars like the Taurus are why I got out of that business.

It's been earlier said on my car, you have to fake the cassette in or CD changer that there's a tape or disc in, or it won't recognize the input in use, a quirk of the input logic and communication and control schemes.

I'd still think your best bet would be to just bite the bullet and install an aftermarket head. I heard the same sort of "you can't do that" stuff about my Transit Connect ...

Tada ... Bluetooth, mp3, cd, nav, etc ... (neener neener) <G>

gps-radio.jpg

OP, install an amp somewhere with 4 channels. Attach your AptX capable (it's a car so nobody cares about it but why not) to the amp via 3.5mm to male RCA.
Attach your speakers to either a 4 way source selector so you can still use the head unit, or directly wire up the speakers only.

That is how I did it in my "classic" daily driver. Stock Technics head unit attached to a single hidden crap speaker, hidden BT and amp powers the actual sound system.

Back
Top Bottom