Antenna

The Shocker

If I soldered a wire to the copper water pipes in my house, could I use those pipes as an antenna for FM signal?

DC ground and RF ground aren't necessarily the same thing.
Not that I think it'll work, but it might...
On the other hand, since hot water pipes are usually lousy grounds (at best), maybe you want to try a hot water pipe.
On the other hand (up to three now), they used to sell gizmos to use your whole house AC wiring as an antenna (for VHF, and the FM band is part of the old analog TV VHF spectrum, between channels 6 and 7).

I recently built a couple of antennas using 3/8" copper tubing. Two lengths of 28 & 3/4" for a simple dipole, turned vertically so that it is omni-directional, which I use indoors, improved my reception greatly compared with the wire folded dipoles (or the rabbit ears) I was using. I used high-quality quad-shielded RG6 and clip-on ferrite chokes. No balun needed. Ends up being almost five feet in length. I sourced the tubing, chokes and cable from Amazon for a total of $37. Made two of the antennas, and still have enough tubing and chokes left to build eight more. Hid one in a closet, and the other behind a tall cabinet.

The length I cited provides a center-of-band tuning. An inch or two longer would tune the lower end of the dial, while shorter will tune to the upper.

Last edited:
I don't know how sensitive the FM band is to wavelength and all that, but I got a tip from another AKer that it's possible to use the center screw on an electrical outlet to connect an AM/shortwave antenna to, as that is connected to the ground on the outlet which in turn would make the ground wiring in the house into an antenna. I have yet to try it.

So, I have another possible idea.

In my basement, I have a super high efficiency furnace. It uses PVC pipe as it's intake and exhaust. So I currently have a hole out the side of my basement. In theory I could force a piece of coax out right above the PVC pipe, connect an external antenna of some kind, and then run the other end over to the receiver.

My only hesitation is that the coax would be running right next to my heater/blower motor in the inside, and my air conditioning unit on the outside. I don't know how much interference those two things will cause to the antenna.

So, I have another possible idea.

In my basement, I have a super high efficiency furnace. It uses PVC pipe as it's intake and exhaust. So I currently have a hole out the side of my basement. In theory I could force a piece of coax out right above the PVC pipe, connect an external antenna of some kind, and then run the other end over to the receiver.

My only hesitation is that the coax would be running right next to my heater/blower motor in the inside, and my air conditioning unit on the outside. I don't know how much interference those two things will cause to the antenna.

If you use quad-shielded, solid-copper RG-6 and the clip-on ferrite chokes I mentioned above, you may not find that interference an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDGCSEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFCD56C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The coax I think should be shielded enough, especially if it has both a braid and a foil.

I used the coax linked above and found that the braiding in this particular cable made a nice, thick lead for attachment to the antenna elements. I have seen some coax where that was a problem. The center-lead solid copper is nice and thick, too. And this is affordable if 25' is enough. Heck 50' of the same is only five bucks more.

I get a really good signal now, and that had been a problem.

A simple dipole is an actual antenna, easily diy. If you are trying to receive distant stations, then Yagi, rotor and height are what you need; that is true. If you just need to pull in locals, a vertical dipole may be all you need to get a strong, clean signal. It was/is for me.

With a simple dipole and ferrite chokes then you need no impedance-matching, no balun. It's already as close as required. I got this info from an AKer much more knowledgeable about antennas than I ever will be, and found his advice worked very well in my hard-to-receive location.

A simple dipole is an actual antenna, easily diy. If you are trying to receive distant stations, then Yagi, rotor and height are what you need. If you just need to pull in locals, a vertical dipole may be all you need to get a strong, clean signal. It was/is for me.

With a simple dipole and ferrite chokes then you need no impedance-matching, no balun. It's already as close as required. I got this info from an AKer much more knowledgeable about antennas than I ever will be, and found his advice worked very well in my hard-to-receive location.

I'm not trying to receive distant stations. Just trying to get local stations to come in better. The big problem I have is the fact that the receiver is in my basement. The rest of the house gets radio signals just fine. But I would like to avoid putting holes in my wall. That's why I thought about just putting some kind of FM antenna against the small window in my basement. Running it outside was just an idea, because the opening is right there. I don't know how much value it adds, since I am not planning to elevate the antenna, just basically put on the outside of the window.

In theory, I could buy a 2-3 foot piece of copper pipe and attach it to my concrete of my basement, solder 2 insulated wires to it and run those in the house.

The problem with trying to use anything other than an actual antenna is you need the correct ohm load whether its 75 ohm or 50.

If you can afford to just buy an external roof antenna preferably a beam antenna with rotor..

http://dennysantennaservice.com/long-range-fm-antenna.html

$100 is more than I am willing to pay for an FM antenna. One day, I'd love to get a large roof antenna, both for Fm and for TV, and run lines into each room, one marked TV and one marked radio. But I'm not there yet. I've been ready to cut he cord for years, but my wife is totally hooked on the Hallmark Channel.

I'm not trying to receive distant stations. Just trying to get local stations to come in better. The big problem I have is the fact that the receiver is in my basement. The rest of the house gets radio signals just fine. But I would like to avoid putting holes in my wall. That's why I thought about just putting some kind of FM antenna against the small window in my basement. Running it outside was just an idea, because the opening is right there. I don't know how much value it adds, since I am not planning to elevate the antenna, just basically put on the outside of the window.

In theory, I could buy a 2-3 foot piece of copper pipe and attach it to my concrete of my basement, solder 2 insulated wires to it and run those in the house.

Read through this. All you need to know.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/building-a-simple-dipole-fm-antenna.827071/

Back
Top Bottom