how about a trying the following.

A new Yamaha integrated amp : Yamaha-R-N602.html

A set of English speakers : Castle, Spendor, KEF speakers.

A Denon DL-301 MKII cartridge for the turn table. :idea:

@Balifly Thanks for the suggestions! From all the posts I've read, I'm not completely sold, but I think I may end up going with newer gear over vintage. Have you listened to this combo? I will seek out a place where I can hear it for myself, but starting out can you tell me if this kind of set up sounds warmer to you or more "cold/digital"?

Also, since you mentioned Yamaha, take a look at the quote below.
Bang for the Buck--take a serious look at the new Yamaha A-Sxx01 series integrateds.
@savatage1973 I did a search for the Yamaha A-Sxx01 integrated amp and it didn't hit. Could the model number be incorrect?

I did a search for the Yamaha A-Sxx01 integrated amp and it didn't hit. Could the model number be incorrect?

The model designation with the A-Sxx01 is the "generic" for the whole line-up. There is an A-S301, A-S501, A-S701, and A-S801. Just more power and a few more features as you move up the model line--and then there are ever "bigger brothers" in the line-up at substantially higher cost.

Look HERE:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_344650/Integrated-Amplifiers.html#&nvpair=FFBrand|Yamaha

Last edited:
Vintage receivers probably have a better Tuner section, And of course the receivers look great with their backlit tuner dials, Great nostalgia pieces that also perform quite well, even with minimal service if your lucky, If you unlucky, Well try again! Vintage speakers and turntables will likely need service soon.

New gear is plug and play and has the potential to offer more reliability long term (no guaranties there) than restored vintage and at least comes with a warranty perhaps for 3 years like my Yamaha. You also get the convince of remote control, A high priority for me and perhaps a DAC and Wi-Fi streaming digital audio. It's also easy to put together a new system. No games of chance with used gear and no extensive searching.

You have lucked out with an audio dealer that really knows his stuff!

That Rega Brio receiver, Planner 2 Turntable, and Paradigm Monitor SE speakers all look like a very good value. That is a system I would buy, And I'm a Yamaha fan too. I know Rega's Brio Integrated amp gets top ratting's for refined, clean sound and I'll bet their receiver is very close to that. Their may be some new equipment that a fully restored vintage system (which would likely cost more) may best, But you would need some REALLY good, Fully restored gear to match the package your dealer has put together. Just check the reviews of those pieces.

Last edited:
@bluenote79 Did that help? You just have to select Yamaha as the brand on the left side--I messed up the link, or it just doesn't work that way, but you can find them now?
Yes. Thank you! I'm looking at them now. I think I will really like going NEW with my amp since that and my turntable were the main components that were giving me so much trouble before. Not sure which way I'll go with the speakers yet. I'm currently researching the Magnepan MMGi speakers per @sqlsavior 's recommendation. Totally open to new and other ideas that would pair well with these Yamaha amps though.

Last edited:
@Balifly Thanks for the suggestions! From all the posts I've read, I'm not completely sold, but I think I may end up going with newer gear over vintage. Have you listened to this combo? I will seek out a place where I can hear it for myself, but starting out can you tell me if this kind of set up sounds warmer to you or more "cold/digital"?

Also, since you mentioned Yamaha, take a look at the quote below.

The brands I was referring to are

Castle Acoustics
http://www.castle.uk.com/

Spendor
https://www.spendoraudio.com/

KEF
http://ca.kef.com/

I have the older models, recommend that you try out the new ones.

Hear them and you will know that they are not cold and digital sounding.

The new ones do go well with the new Yamaha amplifiers. :)

Totally open to new and other ideas that would pair well with these Yamaha amps though.

Yet another link to Crutchfield, but I deem it worthwhile for a look--I almost bought a pair of these for a spare bedroom system--small footprint, and decent low end extension, so no sub necessarily needed, and not insanely expensive, and (again) brand new and easily returnable if you can't listen locally.

Polk RTi A7--if the link doesn't work correctly, just search floorstanding speakers under brand Polk Audio in the Crutchfield web-site.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA7C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A7-Cherry.html?afsrc=1&bfact=true

To each their own but that seems like a strange philosophy to me :dunno:
Capable vintage 30 to 50 watt units are readily available to the door at no risk for $100 to $150. I can't get anything fixed here for that amount of money. So it's more cost effective to replace than fix if your paying for repairs. I'm not having failure problems with the units I have. Out of 30 vintage units I've not had a single failure in three years. I'm confident that if I had only two good units I would most likely always have a good working one to use. If you want to go top end vintage it's gonna cost you, just like top end new.
So, how fast do you want to spend? And depreciate?
Midline vintage can be a great option.
Have a spare in the closet.
With speakers, well I see that a little differently. Lot's of midline vintage speakers are going to come up short.

P4160002.JPG

I would start out with the vintage system you mentioned. If you're lucky that may be all you'll ever need. Bu if not it can resold easy enough and you can use that money to upgrade to something different. To me that is a very enjoyable part of the hobby getting to live with different gear from different time periods.

I'm relatively new to the game and am trying to make a decision between purchasing some vintage gear or going with new gear. I would greatly appreciate some basic advice from the masters here.

My prerequisites:

First and foremost, I am tired of my current vintage gear breaking down on me. I want a stereo that works and sounds good. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but it does need to work.
I do like the warm sound of the vintage gear that I've listened to over a cold/digital one. (Is it possible to get a warm sound from any of the new gear out there? Teach me Yoda!)
If I were to go new, my budget is $4000 tops for receiver, speakers, turntable, and DAC.

I currently have a pair of Fisher XP 7's, powered by a Pioneer SX6000 and spinning records on my Dual 1257 turntable. I am not happy with this set up. I like the Pioneer, but I keep having trouble with it and it has returned to the shop more times than I care to admit. Also, over time it has all started to sound a little too muddy to me. Someone else in the group hinted that it may be due to my speakers.

The choices:

USED/VINTAGE:
I'm looking at purchasing a used combo of McIntosh C24 Preamp & Dynaco ST150 for $1100 all together. They have both been recently serviced. I'm also looking at a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers from 1980 for $425. Thoughts and recommendations on this gear would be greatly appreciated. I don't have to go this route, but if it seems like a good deal and it works with my budget. I would also end up buying a new turntable. Either Rega Planar 2 or Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB or what someone here recommends based on years of experience and superiority to me.

NEW:
The guy at the hifi store recommend these components with my budget:
Rega Brio receiver
Paradigm Monitor SE's
Rega Planar 2 turntable

Thanks so much for any and all help!
--Brad
If you have the money, buy modern speakers and never look back!

Last edited:
06-IMG_1393.jpg

If going new then these are nice if wanting good bass from a smaller speaker, rated to 40hz. These usually retail for $1800, but due to some crazy sales on Amazon with Jamo speakers a number showed up on eBay from flippers. There's only the one pair left in the real mahogany finish, I don't see any in the high gloss black or white still up. At 75% off they're a steal, I really like mine in the black.

How do you know that?
It's an assumption. They've had that offer going for at least a decade, and recently expanded it to 60 days from 30, and made it available on higher models at dealer discretion. I assume they do it because it usually works. They also give you full credit for a trade-up within one year.

It's not an assumption. It's been standard practice with Magnepan for as long as the MMG has been produced.

It's not an assumption. It's been standard practice with Magnepan for as long as the MMG has been produced.
I think the presumed assumption relates to how many are returned. Some definitely are. Here's a comment from Wendell Diller as of 12/16:

"Instead of online ordering, Magnepan has made a change in a different direction. All orders, no matter how small, require that Wendell first consult with the customer to be sure that it is a good fit and will meet the customer's expectations. Magnepan's business relies on customer satisfaction and referrals. This new policy is more labor-intensive, but as a result, the level of customer satisfaction has increased and returns have decreased."

In any event, I think its a great policy for folks to get acquainted with a killer modestly priced speaker with low risk.

Of course some are returned. However, I would bet the return percentage is quite low.
IMO MMG's are the best sounding $650 speakers on the market. Sure they have no low bass and a small listening window. OTOH they IMO sound more open and real than anything else in the same price category.

Buy new and get the good stuff. That will be the vintage gear of 2050-2060 :thumbsup: A future audiophile is counting on you ;)

I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers, but the first thing I would do is dump the Fisher Speakers. Nothing against Fisher as I personally own a few Fisher tube amps, but when it comes to the speakers I think their is only one model or two max that I would even be interested in owning. Fishers driving big Altec's or Corner horns no problem but not any Fisher model speakers.

As for the Pioneer, back when Pioneer was one of the most popular for their receiver line up they also had a reputation for blowing channels. They were not near as reliable as Marantz, Kenwood, Sansui, Yamaha, and some of the other well known models. Mcintosh had a good reputation for quality, other than some of their low end receiver models they started making.

Last edited:
No, I don't have a to much gear addiction problem, I have a to small of a room for the gear problem. I have failed to correct that no matter how strong the desire, obsession or effort put forth on my part. And there's been plenty of effort. The best laid plans of mice and men...……….
However if when the time comes I recover the funds spent on this hobby I'll have no regrets.
And be much the richer for the journey. For not one single second of my time spent on music has been wasted.

Back
Top Bottom