crackle that moves my speaker cone like crazy on cold start Yamaha CR1020

Darren James

Hello, Regardless of volume level, when I start this machine (only happened 3 times over a week), it sends large crackles which move the poor woofer almost out of its cabinet. I thought I got rid of it by de-oxing the volume knob...... It has forced me to start the receiver in speaker off mode and wait for a couple minutes.....

Dirty knob still or bigger issue???

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Is this happening immediately after power on or after the protection circuit mute period.
The amp has a protection circuit that will delay connecting the speakers for a period
of 4-8 seconds after power on, to allow transients to settle.

Possible failure in the protection circuit or relay contact "welded" permanently connected.

Is this happening immediately after power on or after the protection circuit mute period.
The amp has a protection circuit that will delay connecting the speakers for a period
of 4-8 seconds after power on, to allow transients to settle.

Possible failure in the protection circuit or relay contact "welded" permanently connected.

Immediately upon power up... I hear the relays kick in about 5 seconds after... when it happens I shut it off, turn speaker switch to off, then turn on again and wait a minute..

panel lights ... not important right now . i suspect there is a fault with the relay drive circuit or the relay itself if it does indeed show that fault right away at power on .

You should not hear anything until after the relay "clicks". The relay connects the speakers to the outputs of each of the amplifiers.

Last edited:
transistor and capacitor cheapest first thing to swap .. further diagnosis might be intermittent. apart from maybe relay driver base voltage time to come up .

out of how many times ?

I thought I cured it with de-oxit... it was quiet for a week or two.... its back..... well, I am starting with speakers off now... before?, at least 50/50 ... more than not, which is why I stopped starting with speakers engaged... not interested in cooking a pair of HPM100's....

well, I am starting with speakers off now...
not interested in cooking a pair of HPM100's....
Food for thought. The relay sounds like welded contacts or physically by-passed. If this is indeed the case.You risk burning up your speakers big time in the event that and output transistor goes south. Because you don't have a functional protect circuit.

Food for thought. The relay sounds like welded contacts or physically by-passed. If this is indeed the case.You risk burning up your speakers big time in the event that and output transistor goes south. Because you don't have a functional protect circuit.
I personally would not hook up anything that I valued to this unit until you get this issue squared away.

Is the crackle on both channels? might be a power supply issue.

Should be able to get to the bottom of this with a multimeter, no need to fry spkrs...

Might have to do a pre-emptive refurb of power supply and protection circuit.

Is the crackle on both channels? might be a power supply issue.

Should be able to get to the bottom of this with a multimeter, no need to fry spkrs...

Might have to do a pre-emptive refurb of power supply and protection circuit.
The popping and crackling is heard before the relay " click"..
Immediately upon power up... I hear the relays kick in about 5 seconds after... when it happens I shut it off, turn speaker switch to off, then turn on again and wait a minute..

The popping and crackling is heard before the relay " click"..

Probably had a protection circuit issue so some goober decided to bypass the relay contacts. It would explain why he's getting exciting speaker movement and a relay click.

Back
Top Bottom