Sansui 7000 (Eight, Six, Seven & Eight Deluxe) button labels

smurfer77

It finally happened to me. I got one of those bargains that you guys are always bragging about. In a blurry picture of an estate sale I spotted what looked like and Eight Deluxe. The place was just 5 minutes away and perched the hills of the SF Peninsula, with spectacular views, lots of train sets and lots of big boy toys. The receiver was there when I arrived and it turned out to be a 7000. I was thrilled because I already have the 8D and 8 and really wanted to compare. So $20 later it was mine (well actually a bit more because I bought a few other bits and pieces), with all original paperwork.

It worked but of course had some lamps out and of course was missing a button label.

I did an LED conversion on the 7000 and rewired the dial lamp so that it is permanently on, no matter the mode (i also played around with bicolor LEDs so that the dial changes colour when FM stereo is detected).

msUK1SP.jpg

Just a note of caution, many LED kits say the LEDs are okay for AC but these leaded ones generally don't have any rectification beyond the LED itself. Not a great connection between the resistor and LED either. So now I make me own.
HGShKfa.jpg

Please forgive some of the irrelevant image annotations; I ripped the pics from my instagram account

FIRST ATTEMPT:

At first I thought I could just recreate the labels using a font in Adobe Illustrator. I did this and printed on some silver reflective paper I have. Although I was at first happy, when comparing to original labels the font was still a bit different and I was ultimately unhappy.
ciktV0p.jpg

Also, the prints on silver paper were good but (a) at a distance the reflectivity of the text was not as brilliant as the original and (b) the black surrounding was not as black and glossy as it should be.

Actually pr

So I started by harvesting button labels for
XZ52bIh.jpg

Actually, prints on high gloss white were far superior to the silver paper because the gloss black was superb and the silver is not really that visible from a distance.

SECOND ATTEMPT:

So I decided to do what I should have done from the begining; remove button labels, scan and edit/restore. Here are some units I used as button label sacrifices.
XZ52bIh.jpg

And here you can see how easy it is to get the labels off. No wonder they are missing on so many units. seriously, check this video of the labels popping off.

I scanned all button labels needed for 7000, Eight and Six/Seven/Eight-Deluxe
MdcNf0b.jpg

Here is a close-up which clearly requires some restoration:
g4ailoz.jpg

So I converted to B&W which would result in best printing, and did some fancy edge detection etc etc and cleaned up in photoshop. This took a week of nights to do in my spare time but the font is now perfect.
xVZ9AvQ.jpg

coGOeTR.jpg

Actually, even with the scanning it took a lot of itterations to get the font edges and thickness/weight to look right. Here is a print on silver paper. Looks good but still not happy with the silver paper.
lORbVa6.jpg

Have a look here how much better it is in terms of solid black, with white photo paper. Photo here is with fonts from illustrator, not scan-reproduction, but you get the idea.
rTQv7L0.jpg

PRINTS ON METAL:

I decided I would spend the cash (several hundreds of $) on a small run of printing on metal. After some shopping around I found a place in LA willing to do it. Eventually the product came (after quite some delay and poor communication).

XCYijvx.jpg

But sadly, the image below is not a blurry shot, the prints were THAT BAD.
io0neJQ.jpg

FWIW this was done by Inland Products at 19510 Van Buren Boulevard # F3, Riverside, CA 92508. 951 789-4789. I don't usually call out companies, but they were really unpleasant to deal with. Not only did they ship this garbage to me, when I contacted them they repeatedly ignored my messages. I sent the product back anyway, with tracking and signature on receipt, and a letter of demand for refund, or at least explanation of technical difficulties involved. Nothing.

Then I realized I would be down in southern California for work later this year and promised to stop in at their location, in-person, for a chat. Got a message back within minutes "refund will be issued". Gutless!

Now, compare that garbage they sent me, to what I can do at home with photopaper:
0qIoecQ.jpg

I understand their may be technical difficulties but they should have just discussed that with me.

METALIZED PLASTIC:
So I gave up on the metal prints for a number of reasons. It was possible to find other guys doing it, but they were mostly very expensive or wouldn't work with materials that I wanted for easy of cutting etc. So i found a place printing on some kind of plastic. I don't know the details of the plastic or how they get the metallic effect, but it looks fantastic. And the printing is durable... can't smear it with alcohol. Not as thick as the original but super nice result.
4jB1OOZ.jpg

rGwUOzo.jpg

The photo above doesn't really do justice. you must check this video which shows the finish much better:
video link.
5l7h9oz.jpg

This print on plastic is not only durable but fixed both of my issues with the prints on silver paper of photo paper. The gloss black is solid and the sheen of the metal font text is just like original from a distance or up close. The only thing not like original is that the original had a thickness and curved profile.

In terms of cutting the labels, i bought a nice paper cutter. But that was hard to do such fine work on. A rotary cutter with clear holder was better but in the end I went back to just a nice pair of scissors. The fail rate that was is lowest. I toss away any that aren't almost perfect.
jtf68VI.jpg

In terms of attaching to receiver, a dab of PVA glue works just fine.
3IEtTt7.jpg

But I thought for easy of application for my friends I should use some adhesive stickers. At first I tried some stuff I had laying around for keeping rugs stuck to carpet:
KLCARL1.jpg

But that was kind of hard to work with for cutting up the labels.

This 3M stuff works a treat though:
zmicTlM.jpg

NOTE: across my units, the original labels had different font thickness. I took an average but leaned to the thicker font side, because it think it looks better. But placed next to thinner originals it may be noticeable.

So they you go, I'm finally happy and I will now go ahead and install all new labels on all of my units. Hopefully I will take some pics for you to see how good the labels really turned out. So much superior to white photo paper prints or any of the multiple silver/metal-like papers I tried. Aside from the quality/finish of the paper prints I really doubt they would hold up over a decade or so of sweaty fingers tips touching them from time to time. These plastic ones seem indestructible.

I think the best way to appreciate the quality is in the VIDEO LINK

Last edited:
I don't have any of this series of Sansui, but this thread is fascinating anyway. Really interesting and impressive description of how you solved this problem. Dedication level pegged at 11. Awesome stuff.

Wow, great job and dedication to getting it right! I’ve wondered why Sansui did not put the same quality effort into these buttons as they did to the rest of the receiver? Kind of a shame, but you’ve got a great fix. Are you selling those somewhere for those who may be interested?

That's really nice work.

Whom did you use to print those? I'd like to reach out to them to get some quotes.

I've used a couple of different printers for stickers that I made for my vintage Alfa Romeo. The large one and the two small ones below it are all printed on aluminum foil with durable inks that will not fade or wear. The others are printed using a different process. All of the stickers are die cut.

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_073711.jpg
    IMG_20181018_073711.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 30
Just curious if you have done a comparison. I have the 7000 also which I really like. It needs a full rebuild though. Just wondering how it sounds to the 8 if similar warmer or not.

how does your 7000 sound compared to your eight and eight d?
Just curious if you have done a comparison. I have the 7000 also which I really like. It needs a full rebuild though. Just wondering how it sounds to the 8 if similar warmer or not.

I'm yet to do a careful comparison of the single digit models to the 7000. I will do so though, and report someone in these hallowed forums. What I can say, from quick listening, is that the 7000 is more like the start of the Eight, Eight Deluxe/Six/Seven sound, rather than the end of the x000 line. I.e. to me for now it sounds more like the single digits than the 300, 2000, 5000 which I own. But I need to do a proper A/B/C/D to say for sure if the 7000 sounds warmer or not that the other models.

I could use some, nice work.
DL
Wow, nice. What does a guy have to do to get a set of these?
Wow, great job and dedication to getting it right! I’ve wondered why Sansui did not put the same quality effort into these buttons as they did to the rest of the receiver? Kind of a shame, but you’ve got a great fix. Are you selling those somewhere for those who may be interested?

The original labels are actually very nice quality, metal, and nice to touch. It's just the glue that wasn't good. I've been inundated with PMs about this, so I've decided to release a few sets and have listed them online elsewhere, but here is not the place to discuss those details. Also, there is also now a post in Barter Town.

I am awed by that dedication! I will check Btown to see if any are left! Wow. Just WOW. My 7000 is missing every single label. I'd be happy with just the photo printed ones! I have P-touch labels on mine for now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom