The Ten Commandments of Audio

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
I got to thinking that there are so many details about audio that we can easily lose sight of the big picture. The fact that there are forty-eleven forums on this site alone where we endlessly discuss audio is evidence of that.

Obviously you can’t distill all of that down to a short list. But if you were going to make such a list of basic facts that should be paid attention to, what would they be?

This list may end up having more than ten things on it. In fact there may be more than one list. There could be topics, or levels of lists for newbies just starting out vs. solid upper mid-fi owners wanting to upgrade.

Post your thoughts. And let’s try to concentrate (if we can, I know you people!) on making them clear and concise one-liners rather than getting off into debates about which ones ‘should’ be important or whether they are right or wrong.

Excellent thread topic, toxcrusadr. I'll play:

Rule x of 10: Use of an equalizer is not sacreligious.

In an ideal environment, e.g. the listener has perfect hearing, in a perfect room, with a perfect setup, the sound would be reproduced as close to humanly possible as what the artists(s)/engineer(s) subjectively "intended" for it to sound like. The ultimate and obvious flaw with this line of reasoning is that any particular listener anywhere on Earth at any given moment is listening to what most likely is a very unique mix of components in a less than ideal listening environment - which, incidentally dovetails the starting post you made above. Even the most ideal setup is going to sound different in the midst of:

- plaster, drywall, concrete, wood (floors or walls), glass
- openings in the room
- atmospheric conditions
- distance/position in relation to the loudspeakers
- the hearing acuity of a particular listener

And I haven't even mentioned the subjective desire of what the listener thinks the material "should" sound like. Are they a fiend of superb midrange? A hardcore bass head? Or are crystal clear, non-sibilant highs a must? All three? Since 99+ percent of listeners do not know the artist(s)/engineer(s) personally, they can only surmise in regard to the quality of the sound intended to be reproduced and take a crack at approximating it in their listening environment. An equalizer, in my opinion, permits one to attempt to do so in their particular space in light of acoustics of their room.

Last edited:
A few things to keep your equipment happy and healthy. There are probably more but I think these are the most important.

1) Always power down or unplug all related gear when kerfutzing with wires

2) If it starts to sound bad, turn it down immediately.

3) Don't leave drunk, or otherwise wasted, people around your kit unattended.

4) People's fingers seem to be attracted to dust covers on speakers. Speaker grilles can prevent harm.

It is not critical that the maximum wattage rating of your speakers match the maximum output rating of the amplifier.

Speaker sensitivity ratings are important in determining how powerful the amplifier should be.

Woofers with deteriorated foam surrounds can almost always be refoamed rather than replaced, and shouldn't be used until repaired.

Upgrading speakers by replacing all the drivers with better ones is far more complicated than it may appear, and it almost never works the way you thought it would.

Woofers interact with the cabinet much more than the other drivers, and replacement of a woofer with anything other than a matching original is a complicated business.

Woofers are woofers, and subwoofers have a different name because they are a different thing.

Back
Top Bottom