New 1970s style stereo system - I'm impressed!

isn't this how "we" got started into this hobby? At least some of us? i did. Sure, you can say why make that, or why not just put one together but we kinda know what we're doing. Somebody starting out has no idea and may like the simplicity of this. Then maybe they are surprised how better it sounds compared to their ear piece and want more.
....it's a cool piece...
Yep. Reminds me of the all-in-one system I got when I was in the 9th grade.

or this?

a_Marantz_Model_25_-_Garrard.jpg

Wonder if the speakers are lame or good.

I would say MAJOR LEAGUE LAME! Speakers are where compact systems cheap out due to shipping weight and general cost. But if you replace them with any reasonable cheap speaker, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR come to mind though there are plenty of reasonable cheap speakers and make some adjustments to bass and treble it likely will sound decent albeit not audiophile. Failing speaker change, cranking the bass and treble will help immensely.

Wonder if the speakers are lame or good.

Regardless of anything else, I'm skeptical of any speaker with captured speaker wires. That the end going to the receiver has bare wires for those crappy spring loaded speaker connections and not RCA gives the system some credibility.

I would say MAJOR LEAGUE LAME! Speakers are where compact systems cheap out due to shipping weight and general cost. But if you replace them with any reasonable cheap speaker, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR come to mind though there are plenty of reasonable cheap speakers and make some adjustments to bass and treble it likely will sound decent albeit not audiophile. Failing speaker change, cranking the bass and treble will help immensely.

True dat! Hoffman's Iron Law means a very small speaker will either have no bass to speak of or very low sensitivity, which in turn would mean large cone excursion for the small woofer and likely higher distortion.

I too would like to see an interior shot of this. I'm guessing a mostly empty box with a board full of ICs and fly speck components. But perfect for a dorm room or such, no great loss if stolen or damaged.

Why bother with the CD player. Kinda ruins the look too.
Because even though the format is supposed to be dead, new CDs are still outselling vinyl records by quite a bit, used CDs are plentiful and cheap, and many people have CD collections that they'd like to listen to.

And I think the Crosley system is a much more convincing effort than this:

itcds9000.png

To me, this Crosley doesn't say 1970s. It has a Knob-to-Button ratio that equals less than One.

A brand new product from our friends at Crosley, the 1975T (appropriately named) stereo system:

http://a.co/d/iZMgeUl

81F28PiyYRL._SL1500_.jpg

I think the styling is a winner, especially with that large analog AM/FM tuning dial. The turntable obviously won't please the audiophiles, but it does have the trusty AT3600L magnetic cartridge and a counterweighted tonearm. There's also a built-in CD player, bass and treble controls, an aux input, RCA line output jacks, and of course Bluetooth.

Of all the "retro-style" stereo systems I've seen, it comes the closest to something that could actually be mistaken for a vintage system until you get up close.

Back
Top Bottom