Classical Tagging - Is there a standard style guide?

baneste

As part of converting my CD and LP collections to data files on hard drives, I've discovered that there are as many different "styles" for tagging classical music as there are users. To take but one of many examples of a style question, does one spell out "major" and is it capitalized or is it abbreviated "maj." and lower case? I'd like to at least be consistent throughout my collection and compliant with the accepted convention among those conversant in musical literature. To that end, can anyone point me to a reference for classical music naming or tagging that specifies the appropriate stylistic choices in the same way that the Chicago Manual of Style does for writing styles?

If this should be posted in a different forum, please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Why is it that it's not until I start a thread that I find the answer to a question despite a previous diligent search? I just discovered that there is a style guide for music on Wikipedia. I'll leave the thread open in case someone knows of a better or more authoritative guide.

Thanks again.

That's a cool link, thanks.

It also probably explains why I've yet to really tackle ripping my classical stuff.
Tagging(or re-tagging the 'auto' tags that are on the databases) just seems so unappealing for me.

Thanks! I understand finding tagging unappetizing. It helps me to think of tagging as an opportunity to get more familiar with musical literature, not as a chore, task, necessary evil, etc. Or treat it like eating [insert disliked food here]. Do it in small doses. In the interim, the discogs, Music Brains, etc. tags will do. YMMV.

If you use your song/work name as the file name (and who doesn't?), be aware that certain adjustments have to be made to naming conventions. E.g., no italics. Double quotes, question marks and other characters aren't recognized by the computer and it inserts underscores ( _ ) in lieu. The workaround for double quotes is single quote marks twice. For the rest, delete them from the file name if you want to avoid the underscores.

Last edited:
I hear ya.
I've been slowly pecking away at redoing a lot of my tagging. I've got a pile of rips that need work. It's a chore, but I don't fret it. I just tackle it when I have the time.

If you're really into classical music, you know what works best for you and why. It's unique to you and as natural as breathing.

If you're a casual listener, you have stumbled into a minefield. Whatever feels natural to you is best, but make it consistent.

There is no RIGHT answer,

Ray

Another vote for whatever works best for you. I play it fast and loose when it comes to tagging.

Here's what my winDohs directory looks like after ripping the Toscanini collection. The disk titles mean nothing, as they're mostly collections and singles to fill the CD, so I just went with the numbers:

mc-folders01.jpg

I let jRiver media center do all the organizing. Snapshot of just Dvorak's Ninth as seen in the collection.

mc-folders02.jpg

All the other info in the original track titles is stored in separate tags as seen here:

mc-folders03.jpg

If all you care about is finding the music, just put the critical information in the album title - e.g., Sibelius Symphony No. 2

If you want to be able to access performers, conductors, etc., good luck to you - but don't rely on any of the automatic tagging systems. And don't expect them to find the right album art.

If I'm mistaken about that second sentence - and I hope I am - I look forward to details on correcting it.

Classical is hard. I usually put the composer's name, last name first, in the "artist" field and then conventionally in the "composer" field. Then the conductor, symphony (or whatever) goes in the "performer" field.

I'm pretty sure that this is NOT accepted practice but it makes the most sense to me.

I don't know if it's appropriate to reference another discussion forum. For now, suffice it to say that there's a discussion forum focused on classical music that has several threads addressing the complex challenge of defining the schema for classical music metadata.

These Google searches might lead to something that interests you:

"In search of a universal classification/tagging system for classical music"

"Software for organising classical music"

"How do you organize your classical music electronically?"

"Database or app for cataloguing your collection?"​

Back
Top Bottom