My Experience with State Farm auto insurance after a young lady dented my car with her door

Yeah but if you shoplift a $10 t shirt they would be there to arrest you.

Have you priced body work lately?

Cheers
Mister Pig

They'd be there to arrest you eventually, most of the time, probably. If the wait gets too long a Manager may come to some other understanding with the thief. How long do you want to wait in a parking lot to get a report? You plan on dialing 911 to request it?

"How many incidents are ahead of me?"

For a he-said, she-said report?

They'd be there to arrest you eventually, most of the time, probably. If the wait gets too long a Manager may come to some other understanding with the thief. How long do you want to wait in a parking lot to get a report? You plan on dialing 911 to request it?

"How many incidents are ahead of me?"

For a he-said, she-said report?

We waited 5 min.....

And I pre- programmed into my call list on my cellphone right after getting the cellphone the Non-Emergency phone number for Central Dispatch just for these kinds of Non-Emergency incidents. ..
Myself being an avid Scanner listener since the 80's and having 5 high School classmates that are Deputy Sheriff's . .. I known for many years using 911 for anything other than an Emergency is Not considerate of those in Need of Emergency Services. .

So if anyone here reading this hasn't programmed their local P.D. or Sheriff's Dispatch phone number into their cellphone maybe a good idea to do it now just in case

I know this is a pain and annoyance - such is life.
Is the paint cracked at the impact site? If not you can have on of those paintless dent repair guys fix it fairly inexpensively.
This doesn't address your outrage, but the faster you can put this behind you the better prepared you'll be for the next round of BS.

I learned along time ago to park a nice car far enough away from the door bangers and their kids. It’s better to park further away to have peice of mind and reap the benefits of better cardiovascular by walking a bit more. I have owned some serious collector cars that I rebuilt and painted myself so.....don’t park so close to the store anymore.

Subjective narcissistic people don’t care about you or anything you own....

We waited 5 min.....

And I pre- programmed into my call list on my cellphone right after getting the cellphone the Non-Emergency phone number for Central Dispatch just for these kinds of Non-Emergency incidents. ..
Myself being an avid Scanner listener since the 80's and having 5 high School classmates that are Deputy Sheriff's . .. I known for many years using 911 for anything other than an Emergency is Not considerate of those in Need of Emergency Services. .

So if anyone here reading this hasn't programmed their local P.D. or Sheriff's Dispatch phone number into their cellphone maybe a good idea to do it now just in case

For those boring nights with nothing to do.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xyware.scanner

I've been using the Gordon Edwards scanner app for several years on a cell phone and tablets but I also have a few stand alone piecpi of hardware actually several with the external roof antenna..

I miss the days of listening to cell phone calls when everything was not encrypted on the 900 megahertz and even earlier than the 900 megahertz ...

Those were the good old days

Subjective narcissistic people don’t care about you or anything you own....

Amen Brother!!! These same people don't even care about their own "stuff"--they'll just buy a new one once it gets "mucked-up" enough.

I learned along time ago to park a nice car far enough away from the door bangers and their kids. It’s better to park further away to have peice of mind and reap the benefits of better cardiovascular by walking a bit more. I have owned some serious collector cars that I rebuilt and painted myself so.....don’t park so close to the store anymore.

I used to operate under this theory as well, since I have had my share of expensive new vehicles and valuable "collector cars". It doesn't work--inevitably, some a**hole will still park on top of you or let a shopping cart run across the parking lot--you basically just can't "win".

View attachment 1306102

Our car is the white Buick Encore

I figured I'd vent here in the forums and share my experience and maybe obtain some wisdom help and insight from the masses here.

Two days ago on Saturday afternoon my wife and I stopped at Taco Bell and we parked as far over close to the curb away from the painted lines about 16 in from my passenger side painted line. .
Because I'm so paranoid about getting door dings and dents from inconsiderate people I always Park near a curb and corner instead of in the middle of the parking lot no matter where we go one side's always protected by nobody being able to park by my vehicles. .
And as luck would have it some young dumb girl parked right on the line next to us with 6 ft between her driver's door and the next car over then she proceeded to go open the rear door and hit our car with it.. my wife and I saw her open her door and I took a couple of pictures and by the time I got outside she was rocketing away. .
I called the police they came took the report her license number from my picture and they caught up to her at her house and got all her information
View attachment 1306093

Today after talking to an insurance agent up the road closer to me with State Farm the lady was really helpful and found the full report online and gave me the last name the person that owns the vehicle and told me they had the same State Farm Insurance so that it should be an easy task but I had to call my agent 30 miles away and go over the details .......after dealing with them (my Agent )and finally getting them to try to help me they aren't as good as the closest office they're kind of a holes. .
I got the call from the offenders agent and gave them the pictures of how she was parking on the line right next to us and told her we witnessed her open the door and hit our car and one of the customer sitting next to us made mention as it was a happening can you believe that girl parking that close so I immediately took pictures and ran out but it was too late..

This person denies that she hit our car with her door
And her agent said there's nothing I can do accept small claims court
My insurance agent said basically the same thing and that I was s*** out of luck I had to either pay my deductible and fix it myself or live with it..
This example is what I have been trying to avoid in my paranoia where I park but now I see that you have to be an extremely big prick and act as fast as you can or part completely away from all other customers no matter where you park or double Park like some people do which I wouldn't do because I wouldn't want my car keyed

I don't know if any of you have any better recommendations for me to resolve my issue but I figured it would be a lesson for everyone reading it that it becomes that he said she said unless you have something on video which I'm trying to obtain a video from Taco Bell if it exists but it may not be likely still waiting for a call back from management. .

I take care of all of them things in my life especially the vehicles that are so expensive in this world and this kind of thing turns me into the Raging Hulk and almost pushes me to become a very dangerous individual to deal with I just absolutely can't stand stupid people with no regard for other people's property or lives
sorry for your having to deal with a farking insurance company
that said, in some states you can file an event report with your DMV and then it's the asshat's problem to prove they didn't do it
I know, I had it done to me once out of spite
and it's a REAL PAIN in the ass because it basically freezes you out from renewing anything until you address it
that's how I found out someone had done it to me when I attempted renewing something
don't know where you live but it's worth asking

Citroen have put rubber panels on the doors of their new Cactus, to eliminate such scratches and dents.

351A3CFE00000578-0-image-a-71_1465509844082.jpg

But I want to drive a car, not a toy I would buy for a 3 year old

sorry for your having to deal with a farking insurance company
that said, in some states you can file an event report with your DMV and then it's the asshat's problem to prove they didn't do it
I know, I had it done to me once out of spite
and it's a REAL PAIN in the ass because it basically freezes you out from renewing anything until you address it
that's how I found out someone had done it to me when I attempted renewing something
don't know where you live but it's worth asking
Interesting.
Please tell us more about this 'event report.'

Dealing with a insurance companies anytime is challenging when feeling they owe you.
Next to impossible when both parties are covered by the same company.
Trust me the company is not looking out for you.

Shop for a new company and fix the door yourself.

Go to small claims court, worst case you would just be out the filing fee.

Dealing with a insurance companies anytime is challenging when feeling they owe you.
Next to impossible when both parties are covered by the same company.
Trust me the company is not looking out for you.

Shop for a new company and fix the door yourself.

Go to small claims court, worst case you would just be out the filing fee.
car insurance sucks and it's only going to get worse cause now they've got legal weed to hang their hat on
the past year and what's happened to my rates was almost enough to make me skip over this one
first rate jack wave was set off by affordable care and now this there's always consequences to things that people don't see or talk about
100%+ increase in 18 months and I have never filed a claim had an accident or received even a parking ticket
but you are right, if he SAW the girl hit his car he should take her to court
TWO credible people eye witnesses, he'll win
sorry for the rant

Interesting.
I received a letter in the mail from DMV informing me that I had done such and such to so and so and until I demonstrated to them that I had taken care of it I couldn't do x y or z
sorry to be so vague it was like 10 or 11 years ago
I said what in the heck is this and asked an older friend about it who said yes, it's a real thing
I had never even been to the place where the damage allegedly occurred
I went to DMV and saw the form that had been used to initiate all of this
Someone who was pissed at me or whatever just filled in my plate number and submitted this thing and bam, I was guilty until I proved otherwise, inconvenienced big time anyway
Single sheet and all works off of the vehicle license plate number
Fill it out with plate number, time and place and then whatever allegedly happens and I guess give it to the clerk and or mail it in
I would imagine it's in place for times just such as the one in this thread
I also can't remember if there's a fee attached but I'm sure there is it is DMV after all
later this weekend I will see if I can do a better job and actually find the form on line
I would have never dreamed DMV inserted itself in dispute resolutions but they did and they do

Interesting.
From CA DMV:

"If you are involved in a vehicle accident that occurred in California, you must report it to DMV if:

• There was property damage of more than $1,000 ($750 for accidents prior to January 1, 2017) or
  • Anyone was injured (no matter how minor) or
  • Anyone was killed.
Each driver must make a report to DMV within 10 days, whether you caused the accident or not and even if the accident occurred on private property. Mail the completed report form to the address on the form."

Had one recently myself. Was driving home from a meetup with a VK member, and after a car turned into a shopping center on Oak Ridge highway, saw an older RAM pickup in beater condition with a load of gravel and concrete, put on my brakes and slow my car well below speed limit (which I am driving at) . Give him a good amount of distance. RAM puts on his brakes 60 seconds later, some gravel and a few pieces of concrete fall of the back of the RAM pick em up truck, one bounces from the curb right onto my 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon windshield. His license plate was muddy and indistinct, my windshield got a major crack. Pull off into nearby business. See policeman, he talks with me, and hears something on the radio. A female in a Z-28 Camaro pulled out in front of the RAM pick em up truck, the Camaro is badly caved in in the rear end, The RAM is badly damaged, personal injury. Both drivers hurt. Officer is nice, takes my information. I wait in the parking lot, as both lanes of Oak RIdge Highway are closed off. I gently drive home when the tow truck and ambulances finish their work, and the highway cleaned up. I talk to Allstate (my insurance company and explain to them what happens). The agent gives me a phone number, I talk to the nice lady, an appointment is set up, two days later, and two hours later, a new windshield is installed on my wagon. After the carnage before me, my windshield is not so dire, or critical. My wagon got repaired without hassle.

We drove over to Midwest City, USA yesterday evening to bail out my Cry-seller from my paint and body buddy and to leave my wife's LaCrosse for front bumper repair. He repaired the lower left quarter panel (where rear bumper wraps around to quarter panel) that I tore from backing into my riding mower and fixed the driver's door from where someone slammed me at some point.
No half measures with this guy, he removed my whole rear bumper took everything down, repaired some scratches here and there and hit it the whole thing with new paint. Even redid my "repair." I thought I had done a fairly decent job but evidently it didn't pass muster. It looks excellent too. Cost for all that was a C note but knowing my luck tho, the universe will come to collect and even things up at some point in the future. 1st pic is the Buick.
Wife's work is going to be $250.IMG_3631.JPG IMG_3805.jpgMy repair work. Duplicolor just didn't cut it. Chrysler repair 002.jpgThe real deal.

My mantra on things that matter? Pay the pros to do what pros do.

My 2013 Honda Fit (purchased 4 years ago brand new from local dealership) has delamination of the clear coat on the hood and rear spoiler. All in about 2 weeks.

I'll be going to argue with them about it on Monday. Doubt they'll do anything, but from what I hear, this is common practice to use shitty clear coat, and then blow off customer complaints.

Soichiro Honda is rolling in his grave, I feel.

Doubt they'll do anything, but from what I hear, this is common practice to use shitty clear coat, and then blow off customer complaints.

This appears to be a "known issue", and you can start your research here: http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/peeling-paint/

This was a HUGE issue with "American" cars in the 80's and 90's. It is all a result of VOC (volatile organic compound, ie, petroleum based solvents) emission regulations imposed back then. Paints were re-formulated with less or no solvents and color and clear coats did not bond well, so they separated and peeled off.

Guessing at this point, that you are well out of warranty, so the dealer is going to (maybe even politely) give you the big middle finger, and you will be on your own.

Good Luck!

Savatage, thanks so much. Yeah, 4 years down the road, and it was a 2013 when we bought it, they're likely to tell me to stick it.

However, this is the same dealership that sold us our 2007 Civic, also peeling, and I think I will give our breakup the high emotion, drama-laden showdown it has needed for some time.

I won't even go into the whole locked up master cylinder they tried to lie out of repairing back in 2009. Just an awful collection of people at this dealership, and I shan't be back.

Back
Top Bottom