Preamp recommendations?

I'd probably go with the NAD C165BEE preamp with that budget.
Comes w/a remote,no internal DAC though,but I personally prefer external DACs myself anyways.
I also like that this preamp has a fully functional tape monitor loop as well...
Decent phono stages in these too.

JM2¢ ~ FWIW

Bret P.

My experience with the two predecessors of this model (160, 162, IIRC) was not good. Both locked up, and you had to unplug them from the wall to reset, until the day comes when that doesn't work, either. I was disappointed by a brand I'd always loved, but view with suspicion now. At least one of those model's owner's manuals included the directions for the reset if this happens, but when the reset doesn't work, typically soon after the warranty runs out it seemed, then you're stuck with paying both-way shipping to an authorized repair center, and a rather high fee to repair/replace. After experiencing this twice, I was cured of considering NAD preamps, I'm saddened to say.

for the next guy looking for new preamp...I have the emotiva PT-100 and its just fine. the remote sucks and I havnet set up the tuner but I dont need it anyway. bought it for the built in DAC /PRE ability and its been great. I have not missed my vintage yamaha cx-830 preamp

for the next guy looking for new preamp...I have the emotiva PT-100 and its just fine. the remote sucks and I havnet set up the tuner but I dont need it anyway. bought it for the built in DAC /PRE ability and its been great. I have not missed my vintage yamaha cx-830 preamp

It's compatible with Harmony remotes. Haven't used the stock remote since like week 3.

It's compatible with Harmony remotes. Haven't used the stock remote since like week 3.

..I have a harmoney but its not the right one. I need to get one like my old 650, I have what looks like basic remote with some kind of hub that connects to it and it flat out sucks too. I liked my 650.

I cant figure out how to set the presets on the tuner but I hardly used that ever anyhow .,

I just got the PT-100 yesterday ... will have more time to play with today -- initially a frustration using the remote( I knew ahead it would be maybe a challenge) --even with the very good instruction manual, I had to go online to find a video about the submenus ...took me 10 mins to get the tuner to scan, and not surprised that it couldn't pick up 1 station in stereo, with an outdoor antenna (they don't even list the specs for the FM tuner)...my Fisher 400 does a better job with FM-- BUT I was very impressed at how well it was packed...it sounds just great when fed a nice stream of Tidal flacs ... glad I got it, but that remote ! Come On, Man !

Back
Top Bottom