Best speaker score under $100

Bought a pair of OLAs for a hundred even about thirty years ago. I never cared much for OLAs, though. My best was $78 about ten years ago for a pristine pair of Paradigm 7se Mk-II with stands, from a thrift in Beaumont, TX. All they needed was a recap. I paid about $85 for a tweeter diaphragm which helped me diagnose the fact I needed a few bucks worth of poly-caps to restore them.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve mentioned it over here, but last year about this time, I got a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls for $200. Technically, that is $100 each. These are the most listened to speakers in my house. They get hours of play time every day. Haven’t done anything to them yet. Good condition. An old colleagues new bride wanted them gone, so I got them. Wasn’t sure my wife would let them in the house, but after a week of probation, she told me they were keepers. That’s a score in my books!

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it over here, but last year about this time, I got a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls for $200. Technically, that is $100 each. These are the most listened to speakers in my house. They get hours of play time every day. Haven’t done anything to them yet. Good condition. An old colleagues new bride wanted them gone, so I got them. Wasn’t sure my wife would let them in the house, but after a week of probation, she told me they were keepers. That’s a score in my books!

You lucky, mangy old dog!

I just sold my Cornwalls for considerably more, :) I will miss them, just not enough room.. :(
The good news, a friend bought them!! :)
Good thing I still have my original Chorus 1s :)

I place mine slightly angled inward on the short wall of an open concept kitchen, dining room, living room. In front of them, I have side tables, and in between the side tables is a love seat. That’s where I sit when I’m listening to music. This is my casual listening space. With the side tables and sofa, the Cornwalls basically disappear. I have some nice vintage brass table lamps on top of the Cornwalls to balance it out. Works well, and I don’t miss the space. Is it ideal? No. But it works.

I’ve never heard the Chorus, but I’ve read they are the replacement of the Cornwall.

This year alone?
Sequential Klipsch KG 1.2 oiled oak speakers nice condition $10.00 don't have a photo.

RSL Max speakers $10.00 needed refinish and surrounds.
View attachment 1293349
Spica SC-30's $9.00 needed surrounds a little beat up.
View attachment 1293350
Ohm PRO 16 speakers $10.00 cleaned up nice had to epoxy the 1/4" plugs back into the egg tweeters.
View attachment 1293351
A mint pair of KLH Model Six speakers $40.00.
View attachment 1293352
Infinity RS-7 $10.00 needed surrounds and new grill covers, don't have a photo but look like and as good as these.
View attachment 1293356

klipsch heresy ii $60.00 mint needed one dust cone reset.
View attachment 1293353

Polk Audio Monitor fives $10.00 Goodwill needed cleaning came out nice sound great.
View attachment 1293617View attachment 1293616
You've had a fruitful year so far! Lots of great speakers there, and I especially love the Six's!
Glenn

Whats your best speaker score under $100 bucks? can be any size, age, brand, etc and put how much you paid, and let's see who got the best deal ever!
:banana::banana::banana:
Pics optional:D

PSB Amazing Alpha bookshelves, $10
PSB Alpha BS $100
Paradigm Phantoms with stands $50
Paradigm Atoms $30
Sansui SP X6000 TRaded for a dartboard
Jensen Moldel 20s with stands, $40
PSB 800 floorstanders $60

^^ awesome list!! Have you added any since 2015?

For me:

PSB Alpha B - $7 (found just last weekend) :)
JBL L-110A - $100
JBL L19A - $100
Pioneer SX4G - $50
University Laurado - $65
Klipsch KG2 - $80
Countless sets of CV...
M&K 2B - $100

Many other sets for under $100, but nothing I'd consider a "score" :)

Cool thread!

Just took possession of a great pair of Altec Lansing Model 4 in need of refoaming, for $100. Nice cabinets with real Endriana wood veneer. Came in their original cartons. Original owner as well, I think. I hope they can match my current Altec Model 1 speakers that have somehow riveted my attention since I got them. Dunno. It's going to be tough to move the older Model 1's from their throne. Many a speaker has tried, but they are still here since I brought them in from Vancouver, BC. Can't explain the draw of the Model 1 speakers, but I guess that is the true essence of a speaker that assaults your ear in the proper way. I will report back after I get some new foams for the Model 4's and try them out. Meanwhile, I am still happy hunting. Closing in on a pair of Altec Model 3 II that are the bigger brother to my 1's. Let's see what happens. But, man, those Model 1's are incredible! Why do we keep looking? Okay, I know why. Stupid question.

Not quite but very close!
Yes, they look incredible. I like the PSB line of speakers. I found a pair of Passif 1’s that need refoaming on both the woofers and the passive radiators, but the cabinets are super clean as well as the grilles. Can’t wait to hear them. And they fit right into this forum entry as I only paid $25 for them from the original owner!

Yes, they look incredible. I like the PSB line of speakers. I found a pair of Passif 1’s that need refoaming on both the woofers and the passive radiators, but the cabinets are super clean as well as the grilles. Can’t wait to hear them. And they fit right into this forum entry as I only paid $25 for them from the original owner!

Good score. Those are very early Paul Barton speakers aren't they? Never heard a pair but I'm sure they sound awesome. That man is a genius.

All the following from Goodwill or St Vinnies here in town.

ADS L400 - $19.99
Martin-Logan System; Motion 4; Monitor 2; Motion 6 center - $49.99
Allison 6 - $20
Advent /3 - $20
Paradigm Monitor 5 - $24.99
Onix Rocket ELT - $19.99
Acoustic Research Holographic Imaging M2 - $34.99
and others!

All the following from Goodwill or St Vinnies here in town.

ADS L400 - $19.99
Martin-Logan System; Motion 4; Monitor 2; Motion 6 center - $49.99
Allison 6 - $20
Advent /3 - $20
Paradigm Monitor 5 - $24.99
Onix Rocket ELT - $19.99
Acoustic Research Holographic Imaging M2 - $34.99
and others!
Acoustic Research Holographic Imaging M2.
I had a pair a few years back, weird speakers sounded good but i couldn't gel with.
Sold them for a fair price.
Sold off a pair of ADS L400's within two days of picking them up.
Paid $10.00.
Nice lookers but again no big thrill.

Good score. Those are very early Paul Barton speakers aren't they? Never heard a pair but I'm sure they sound awesome. That man is a genius.
Very early, I believe. There was so much going on in Ottawa, Ontario, around the NRC facility. So many speaker manufacturers were using it, like PSB, Paradigm, API (Energy, Mirage, Sound Dynamics, Rega-Camber, Paisley, and on, and on. Man, we got some great sounding speakers out of that era in Canada and it still continues.

Very early, I believe. There was so much going on in Ottawa, Ontario, around the NRC facility. So many speaker manufacturers were using it, like PSB, Paradigm, API (Energy, Mirage, Sound Dynamics, Rega-Camber, Paisley, and on, and on. Man, we got some great sounding speakers out of that era in Canada and it still continues.

I've had at least one pair of Canadian made speakers in the house for many years. We rock!

I've stumbled onto quite a few speaker scores, many under $100 but my favorite is a nice pair of AR58s with a Pioneer surround receiver for $110. I sold the receiver for $90. I bought them unseen and unheard and knew them by reputation only. I actually have better (?) but different speakers yet these just put a smile on my face when I give them a listen.

I never heard of Camber but picked up a pair of Laser7 bookshelfs on the cheap, refoamed, then fell in love with them.

Back
Top Bottom